TSZD2 Controller

bpratl

10 mW
Is it possible to destroy the TSDZ2 controller by shutting of the battery instead of shutting of the display first when shutting down? What are the ill effects in doing so?

Mine is not destroyed after doing this for dozens of times. I don't see anything gone wrong either. Even the memory/settings won't get lost. I have the OSF and don't know if same for stock firmware

bpratl said:
Is it possible to destroy the TSDZ2 controller by shutting of the battery instead of shutting of the display first when shutting down? What are the ill effects in doing so?

nope...

When every design element of a product is haphazard, the user's results will be haphazard.

Chalo said:
When every design element of a product is haphazard, the user's results will be haphazard.
You poor man - what did they do to you which resulted in this fixation?
Did you ever use one / install one of these TSZD2 motors, or is is all 2nd hand (heresay) knowledge, which resulted in your opinion?

To the OP / all:
Shutting down any µcontroller (especially the ST ones with their SWIM concept) in an undefined fashion i.e. by pulling the power is never a good idea.
Therefor I would think there is a (slim) chance of datacorruption when that happens.

So, I would try to reflash the controller - either with the original firmware, or the open source firmware.

You will find all the info on how to do both ways on this forum.
If you can not find it: @Elinx seems to have the magic overview of where to find what :)

endlessolli said:
To the OP / all:
Shutting down any µcontroller (especially the ST ones with their SWIM concept) in an undefined fashion i.e. by pulling the power is never a good idea.
Therefor I would think there is a (slim) chance of datacorruption when that happens.

So, I would try to reflash the controller - either with the original firmware, or the open source firmware.

You will find all the info on how to do both ways on this forum.
If you can not find it: @Elinx seems to have the magic overview of where to find what :)

I have been shutting down the ebike by powering off the battery for one year now and every time I restarted
the odometer never advanced to the new trip miles. I was not overly concerned and assumed that it was a minor
problem because the bike performed, with OSF V20, so well. A couple of weeks ago I posted on another site, the odometer problem and it was suggested that I shut off the display first. After my last ride I decided to shut off the display first, then the battery, let it sit for a few minutes and attempted to restart. The display can on and after 1 minute it displayed a "Brake Error or Comm" error. After a lot of troubleshooting, and part substitution it pointed towards the Controller, which I have on order. Now I have to wait and see. I did reflash the Controller & Display with the latest version of V20.1C.4 and the error was still there.

endlessolli said:
If you can not find it: @Elinx seems to have the magic overview of where to find what...
Unfortunately that is less, because more often a separate topic is opened for a question that I think could also have been asked in a central topic.
As a result, all information becomes increasingly fragmented, messy and harder to find.

For the question about shutting down power directly instead with display.
You will loose your ODO distance in the first place, because the you abort that measurement before it is saved by the processor.
On the second place there is a small risk to burn your controller, because of uncontrolled capacitor Voltages.

Elinx said:
For the question about shutting down power directly instead with display.
You will loose your ODO distance in the first place, because the you abort that measurement before it is saved by the processor.
On the second place there is a small risk to burn your controller, because of uncontrolled capacitor Voltages.

I'm sure that is what happened to mine, it just took multi shutdowns to destroy it.

stratohunter said:
Mine is not destroyed after doing this for dozens of times. I don't see anything gone wrong either. Even the memory/settings won't get lost. I have the OSF and don't know if same for stock firmware

Here's the fresh update. Don't trust even a comma from me saying this. My motor failed today 20km from home. Giving intermittent power at the beginning, then developed slowly and suddenly dead. Ruled out all the sensors and finally narrowed down to the controller. Not sure if this is the cause, but better not kill it from the battery end when shutting off.

Back