new tsdz2 with osf cuts motor power after about 10 seconds

jeff51

10 µW
hi, just installed tsdz2 on my tour easy, and 860C display has full function when everything connected, but about ten seconds after i start pedaling the motor power cuts off -- no change in the display, so it appears all the connections are still sound. i didn't install the speed sensor, but this is my third tsdz2, and on the other two i didn't install the speed sensor on the bike. any advice on why motor power might cut off that way on this installation? if i power off and then on again, i get power assist for about ten seconds, just enough time to work my way through a few assist levels to check system function, but then the motor cuts off again, with display remaining on with full function. i can do that repeatedly, but motor power always cuts off after about ten seconds. thanks for help, jeff

jeff51 said:
.... i didn't install the speed sensor, ....
Imho first try with a speedsensor if the motor runs.
If yes, think about the difference between these three tsdz2 motors.
If no, look if there are errors on the display

Most of these systems have a safety shutoff that times out if it doesn't detect the bike is in motion. Without the speed sensor, the system can't know whether the bike is moving or not, so it shuts off.

jeff51 said:
hi, just installed tsdz2 on my tour easy, and 860C display has full function when everything connected, but about ten seconds after i start pedaling the motor power cuts off -- no change in the display, so it appears all the connections are still sound. i didn't install the speed sensor, but this is my third tsdz2, and on the other two i didn't install the speed sensor on the bike. any advice on why motor power might cut off that way on this installation? if i power off and then on again, i get power assist for about ten seconds, just enough time to work my way through a few assist levels to check system function, but then the motor cuts off again, with display remaining on with full function. i can do that repeatedly, but motor power always cuts off after about ten seconds. thanks for help, jeff

yes - i now recall i had to change a setting on the 860c display in order to run the motor without the speed sensor attached.

that was pre-osf. if anyone can suggest what setting with osf on the 860c to change so that i can run the bike without the speed sensor attached, much appreciated.

i'm not worried about speed. i only use the motor in level 1 assist. it's a long wheelbase recumbent, and i don't have a cable long enough to mount the speed sensor.

thanks for help on this!

It's probably in here somewhere
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=93818
but I don't keep up with that thread, and it's very long. A quick search of teh thread for various terms didn't find a useful post, but I would bet that someone has had this question there over the years. ;)

Without speed sensor, after 12 seconds, you have the error "e 8 Speed Fault".

Copy paste from the manual 860C:
Menu "Various", item "Assist with error"
Enabled / Disabled. The presence of an error disables assistance in all modes.
It is however possible to force assistance even with an error if this is caused by a problem with a sensor. Torque, cadence or speed sensor.
You will have to choose the assistance mode that does not involve the use of the faulty sensor.
Use only in case of need, with this function enabled there are limitations in assistance.
See error codes below.

Without speed sensor it works but with limitations.
So I advise you to mount the sensor, there are extension cables.

much appreciate the excellent advice and, more to the point, acted on it. installed speed sensor and everything with system now works just as i'd hoped. many thanks.

Back