Cyc x1 pro and stealth gen 3 announced

I wonder if they have developed a muffler for either motor? ;)

Reading comments you would think the noise is so loud it renders the motor useless. After 400 miles with my X1 Stealth, yes the motor/final drive is noisy compared with other offerings, but you get used to it. Life is a trade-off. This new Gen 3 looks improved in all the right areas (i.e. 2 yr warranty, new controller, waterproof rating IP66, etc..) so I'm looking forward to see some user reviews.

The current $100 USD discount for the previous versions might entice someone on the sideline to take the plunge. Whatever you biases, it's a good time to be in the market for an e-bike.

"I wonder if they have developed a muffler for either motor? ;)"

they may have done you one better:

https://youtu.be/Vokc5W3qP68

It looks like the controller on the stealth hangs quite low for off road riding though. I think I would trash it in one ride with all the rocks here in Colorado. On the other hand, the X1 Pro looks to have the controller tucked up in there quite nicely.

Complete list of changes-improvements w/some useful closeups.
his New Mid Drive Motor is almost Perfect - 2023 X1 Pro Gen 3 - 72V 5,000 Watts - $1,120
[youtube]wqY3BdNwFHY[/youtube]

I got my stealth gen 3 a few days ago. Retired my BBSHD that is approaching 45000 km on it.

I'm not noticing the noise too bad, when running on street mode with pedal assist. I still have a studded front tire on, so that is louder than the motor. Compared to a BBSHD though, it's louder on its own, however my BBSHD set up forced me to use a chain guide that was more annoying than the whirl of this motor.

For those of you ordering, at the moment if you choose not to get their brakes, they will ship you a wiring harness with just the display/throttle connection. So you will need to order a seperate harness that includes the 2 brake cut offs. It doesn't state this anywhere on their site. It's also cheaper to just get their brake sensors with the kit than order the harness seperately...

I've got about 60km on it, including hauling groceries, in the rain. Even without the cut offs at the moment, I prefer it over the BBSHD, also doesn't consume as much power on the same commute. Biggest plus when comparing the two is you set the power level instead of the max amperage, so you don't feel that power dip like the BBSHD as the power drains.

Software could use a tad bit more customization. I don't like being stuck in 3 levels when I had 9 prior. The PAS could use more customization as well, mostly it's just the torque sensing adjustments and not much on the cadence side of things. You cannot calibrate the battery voltage or the exact wheel circumference.

I like that the chain ring is very standard part, lekkie bling rings get expensive when you commute as much as I do.

We've just had a little 20 mile shake down road ride and can report that x1 Gen3 is an awful lot quieter than stealth gen1, it's really very impressive. We had them riding side by side. Would say that you can barely hear the Gen3 now -just a slight electrical hum- and imagine it'll be even less noticeable off road. You certainly couldn't hear it over the stealth :lol: On the strength of the noise level alone we've bought another x1g3 to replace the remaining stealth.

Initial torque is great.

The new thumb throttle is a lovely new design. Much slicker look to it

Installation was straightforward.

Didn't bother playing about with any other settings at the moment.
No off road today because it's been raining non stop and everywhere is unpleasantly muddy.

NexusG said:
What's best between the X1 stealth G3 ans the X1 Pro G3 for purely off road usage ?

I've been thinking of getting these motors for years but haven't bit the bullet because I need a 52T chainring and it needs to be much, much less quiet. That being said, I've done a lot of homework on previous versions, which applies to this generation.

The Stealth is a smaller body but with worse heat management and cooling. It's limited to 1500 watts but honestly that's plenty. The main one is more powerful but, more importantly, has more cooling potential. For off road, I recommend the Pro.

So I'm really interested in the new controllers as well. They are VESC based and thus in theory you should be able to connect and program with the VESC Tool. CYC advertises this as a feature as well, though they say we should contact them for this. Understandable, if you don't know what you're doing you can screw things up quite badly. I also wonder whether their new custom app works with generic VESCs?
Can someone who has one try to connect with the VESC Tool app and report? (It's free if you make an account on the VESC homepage, you don't have to buy it in the app store)
If so it would be super interesting to see what firmware is installed and whether it can be extracted. I wonder how they did power levels/profiles and how they interface this with the displays. Also how the actual vehicle speed limiting with a speed sensor as well as whether the cadence sensor is implemented, because both of those features are not available natively on VESC. (Not sure if the VESC bb has a quadrature cadence sensor - if so scratch that last part)
If they are programmed with a LISP script, those would be super helpful for all of us who have a generic VESC. Or just the whole modified firmware package in general.

I have a X6 controller on a CYC X1 Pro Gen 2 and 750C controller. I have the new app up and running and paid the $3.99 for the VESC Tool for the iPhone to see if it works. The VESC Tools sees the X6 controller; howerver, when you try to select it you cannot access it.

Can you guys confirm that new controller X6 (VESC architecture) is fully compatible with 750C display provided with older kit using ASI BAC controller? (gen2 pro / gen1 stealth)
If yes then does this mean that Eggrider v2 display will also work?! I'm asking because my ASI BAC855 in CYC X1 STEALTH gen1 just died after 6 months/2000km.

After 1100 km (1 month of use) it looks like the sprag clutch wore out on my stealth gen 3 motor. Had to put my BBSHD kit back on the bike because it was slipping so much i had to walk up steep inclines. This is with running 800watts and keeping the bike in the lowest gears on hills, so its a bit disappointing.

After 1100 km (1 month of use) it looks like the sprag clutch wore out on my stealth gen 3 motor. Had to put my BBSHD kit back on the bike because it was slipping so much i had to walk up steep inclines. This is with running 800watts and keeping the bike in the lowest gears on hills, so its a bit disappointing.
Ok so... X1 Pro have better heat management and I believe it have a tougher sprag clutch too (280Nm max vs 150Nm)

It appears the stealth is not a good choice for hard riding off road bike

I am curious, where did you purchase your stealth from? I purchased my Gen 2 X1 Pro from Golden Motor in September of 2022 and it came with a defective BAC 855 Controller. I tested it for a few weeks before I narrowed down the issue and then I had to send around 10 emails and wait three weeks to finally get a reply. They did send me an X6 controller under warranty; however, I did not receive it until January 31, 2023. I also sent an email to CYC on November 9, 2022, and they did not get back to me until January 16, 2023. That’s over 2 months’ time.
I am currently running into issues with the X6 controller and Golden Motor and CYC are not answering my technical support questions.
Please keep us posted on how long your warranty issue takes.

I am curious, where did you purchase your stealth from? I purchased my Gen 2 X1 Pro from Golden Motor in September of 2022 and it came with a defective BAC 855 Controller. I tested it for a few weeks before I narrowed down the issue and then I had to send around 10 emails and wait three weeks to finally get a reply. They did send me an X6 controller under warranty; however, I did not receive it until January 31, 2023. I also sent an email to CYC on November 9, 2022, and they did not get back to me until January 16, 2023. That’s over 2 months’ time.
I am currently running into issues with the X6 controller and Golden Motor and CYC are not answering my technical support questions.
Please keep us posted on how long your warranty issue takes.
Well right after I wrote this post Golden Motor got back to me on one of my technical support inquires. CYC Said " We believe the settings are incorrectly set up.

Please use an Android device (not iOS) & reset to default settings. Ensure that the correct motor system is selected on the app. You can see this in the main settings page.

The ¼ turn before motor starts & a second after is normal for the Gen 2 torque sensor because otherwise you will have an on/off feeling in pedal assist because when you pedal, there is not constant pressure being applied to the pedals between each pedal stroke."

So, they are saying that the iPhone does not work on the new app. I wish they would have let me know this before. I did notice you get three choices on the iPhone app on which motor you are using. X1 Pro Gen 3, X1 Stealth Gen1 and Gen 3 only. I will have to find someone with an Android phone I can borrow to see if it works like they state. This is just another issue I have about CYC. They advertise that the X6 works on the iOS and now they say it does not work correctly.

I actually have quite a few issues with them and have not posted them yet. I do not want to piss them off and really stop getting technical support.

I have cyc X1 stealth gen.1 and my Asi bac855 also died just after 2000km/6 months.

Now I get this

Contact with customer service is weirdly inconsistent. After few mails they just stopped responding. No. I wasn't rude or anything like that.

Last edited:
Cyc has been inundated with claims of failed bac 855 controllers since the release of the vesc based x6 controller, I wonder why? In the past cyc has just sent out a replacement based on the customers claim the old one is faulty with no requirement to send the old one for checking to see if it is even a valid warranty claim. their excellent customer service has been taken advantage of in the past as soon as upgraded parts have been released such as chainrings, freewheels, controllers etc by unscrupulous customers claiming a faulty/defective part for a free replacement no questions asked. Really spoils it in the end by adding these delays for genuine claims. Why havent you sent it RMA. Surely you dont expect them to just send you a brand new x6 upgrade kit just like that.

Maybe Cyc has had enough and now require warranty claims to be returned for checking before repairing or sending a replacement. After all it is the standard procedure and I doubt Cyc can keep giving away free parts away on the threat of possible bad feedback on forums such as this.

The main problem with sending back faulty controller is time and money. Sending from Poland to Hong-Kong would cost me at least $50 and extra 4 weeks of delay. (about 2 months total)

Theirs offer was send us back your faulty controller and then you can buy from us new CYC X6 Controller for $60+shipping (~$40).

Hi Atak,

Thanks for sending us over the images and videos to confirm of the ASI BAC855 controller issue.

As your kit’s under warranty, we can offer to ship you a replacement BAC855 controller. Or if you’d like us to arrange to upgrade for the CYC X6 controller upgrade kit- please note it will be USD60 + shipping. Also, kindly send us back the ASI BAC855 controller for us to conduct further analysis to the address listed in my email signature. The local post office should be the cheapest option.

Let me know your thoughts and I’ll arrange accordingly. We’re sorry that you experienced an issue the ASI controller, and we firmly believe that the X6 controller upgrade will be a much better alternative as we’ve developed these controllers inhouse to replace the current ASI controllers. So, issues such as cut-outs are mitigated- especially as the firmware is based on VESC.

I decided to pay extra and go with new controller because other users on polish forum also report dead BAC855. One just died after just 400 km. BAC855 is a piece of junk!

My response was:
Can we just meet in the middle?
For example. We forget about that sending back to headquarter broken ASI BAC855 controller but then as compensation you provide only 50% off discount code for new CYC X6 controller in your shop ( https://www.cycmotor.com/product-page/cyc-x6-controller-upgrade-kit ) . So I pay $117+shipping instead of your proposed $60+shipping.

After that mail I haven't got any reply since last friday.
Why they can't just reply and say at least NO in mail? Why do they leave people like that hanging in void?

Last edited:
It appears that Cyc asked you to return the controller so that they can honour their warranty and repair/replace free of charge if it is determined to be a legitimate warranty claim, but you have refused so Cyc are absolutely in no way obligated to accept any 'deal' in meeting you 'half way' in anything else you wrongly believe you are entitled to.

Why do you think you are entitled to more? Would you even demand, or expect this of any other company (Bafang, Lightning Rods, Nucular, etc) and not be rudeley refused? Why have you posted this on here? Is it because the previous poster mentioned he got a free X6 after he posted about problems with his bac855 in his Cyc kit purchased from GoldenMotor.com?

Did you even purchase your kit directly from Cyc? I really dont think you are bieng fair to Cyc by posting on here and trying to shame them into giving you something for nothing when it appears they have done everything to honour the warranty and it is you who wants more.

If you cannot afford the return postage then how can you afford the postage for your virtually free upgrade kit, or do you expect Cyc to pay that as well as part of this 'meeting you half way'? Also, on the issue of time and money, if you had just posted back your old controller instead of wasting time and money trying to 'scam' a free X6 then it would have been sorted by now. So you can wait for them as long as you are getting something for nothing?

Cyc are an ASI dealer/supplier and all the BAC controllers they purchase have a warranty agreement to them by ASI. They need you to return your BAC855 controller so they in turn can give it to the ASI technicians for assesment, who will then repair it, or more than likely just supply Cyc with a new one due to a no quibble warranty agreement. In any case Cyc need the controller returned otherwise they cannot get reimbursed, and will lose the cost of the BAC855 which is a lot of money to just write off every time. You are not meeting anyone half way because you want to keep the BAC855 and also be issued with an X6 controller upgrade package for next to nothing and not even pay postage.

Cyc has offered to replace your controller but you have demanded more. Maybe it was worth a try, but no need to get offended and post on here as if you are bieng hard done by. Imagine how much money they would lose if no-one has to send back warranty claims on BAC 855 controllers and they give everyone the same deal you want? They would lose the price of a new BAC855 not to mention all the X6 upgrade kits they would have to give away virtually free!!!

Also, it is giving the false impression that BAC855 controllers are rubbish and fail all the time when really it is false warranty claims because word has got around that Cyc gives away X6 controllers and you dont even need to send in the old one for checking, lol. In my opinion the Bac855 is a solid controller but the fact that the end user cannot do simple changes to the config such as battery voltage is ridiculous.

You must be working for CYC. I can't imagine normal user to write such long post defending that company. Grow up people at least respond to mails. I don't mind if they clearly said "NO" to my offer. Instead they went silent like that! A week past and nothing!

BTW. I was willing to pay $150 (total) so I'm NOT TELLING THEM TO GIVE ME FREE CONTROLLER NOW so stop writing that I'm some another scammer! Even If I got X6 for free I would still have to pay DUTY (6%) and VAT (23%)! So it makes zero sense for me to scam them just to get some new shinny VESC based controller.

BAC855 at least supplied with CYC motor is a piece of junk. Period! Those controllers die like crazy! Do you really think that they got rid of BAC855 in newest generation just for fun!? Failure rate must be crazy high!

Do you even own first generation of STEALTH ?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back