Can I replace my BBS02 motor core / rotor with a BBSHD?

mickyd

10 W
Wondering if the two motors are interchangeable using the same BBS02 main housing and controller. Planning ahead in the event that I have to replace my 02 motor due to the 'whine' issue discussed here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=117672 .

If I understand it correctly, the HD runs at 30A where the 02 runs at 25A, so a controller program change will be needed.

If it's doable, will I get HD performance / longevity?

Thanks ebuilder. I had to ask due to the way I was interpreting an email I got from Luna last Friday. I didn't want to wait until Monday to know so I posted here.

I had asked if they knew how I could fix my motor whine and they said to just buy a new BBS02 motor core OR, upgrade and buy a BBSHD bare motor only , and the rest of the parts would work with it. I interpreted 'bare motor only' as the motor core and rotor. Duh.. :oops:

Advise taken if I opt to go with a new rotor if that's found to be the issue. I'll know mid week once I swap out mine with my buddies to see if the whine goes away.

If your motor is not a 02-B version built after early 2016 I'd go for a new bare motor. Parts for early pre-B versions are a PIA to access and more often than not unavailable. BBSHD has two versions of the rotor and a typical Bafang move, has no serial number tracking...

tomjasz said:
If your motor is not a 02-B version built after early 2016 I'd go for a new bare motor. Parts for early pre-B versions are a PIA to access and more often than not unavailable. BBSHD has two versions of the rotor and a typical Bafang move, has no serial number tracking...
My 02-B was purchased from Luna Cycle in late 2019. Considering its source, most likely later vs. earlier component build. Since new rotors alone are $70 to $90, a new $130-150 motor core is probably my route UNLESS, I treat myself to a new BBSHD. Hard to justify though. My 02 has taken me through the most intense steep long climbs you can imagine.....with no temperature monitoring. Bought a temp sensor https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=117672&p=1733624#p1733624 that I'll install when I put together.

We still saw generic non-3077 even though some said they were selling 3077 fitted controllers. Without Bafang ever sharing serial numbers all information is anecdotal and from an importer known to exaggerate.

I'm not 100% sure if the controller would work . I've asked around and has only found one user that reported that the BBSHD controller fits .

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    458.1 KB · Views: 2,061
I wouldn’t based on 7 years of BBSxx sales support.

jayteee said:
I'm not 100% sure if the controller would work . I've asked around and has only found one user that reported that the BBSHD controller fits .
I'm running a BBS02B with BBSHD controller, can confirm that picture is correct, it fits and you need to change the bullet motor fase connectors.

I'm hoping to find out whether or not I can install a bbshd motor core and rotor in my bbs02b. I saw a thread about it but didn't find the answer to it, only saw that the HD controller is compatible with the bbs02b. The reason I'm asking is from what I can tell all the gaskets are the same between the bbs02b and bbshd. The bolt holes look to line up the same. It's very interesting to me because there's not really anyone saying you can't do it, and the HD controller does fit the 02 housing just fine. I would love to know if it can be done, something about a Frankenstein bbs build is intriguing.

Yes that's the one. I don't think it's clearly answered whether it can be done in that thread. I think he's just getting a replacement bbs02 motor core.

I've viewed some pictures of the bbs02 and one of the versions (version b which I own) has a metal notch coming out of the housing like a locking notch and the bbshd motor core/stator rotor doesn't have a depression where the housing notch would fit.

It sounds like OP of that thread is buying a new bbs02 motor core/rotor instead of trying to install a bbshd motor core/rotor

I think that the most precise answer possible, given Bafang's apparent inclination to redesign things with no notice (even to their dealers) and typically no notations on the individual units or parts as to what version of system they are for, even what version they are (for the whole system), is .... it depends.

Depends on what version of the system you have, what version the parts you get to put in it are, and not only whether they fit together but whether they can operate together (for electronics, firmware and/or signals may be different between different versions and either not work as expected / desired, or at all).

According ot various posts around here, even trying to get replacement parts for a system can be a headache, if the system is older than the currently-supplied version's parts. :( (a dealer may order parts for you and get parts from Bafang that don't fit/work/etc., because they are a new version...and the old ones aren't made anymore after that).

I don't have personal experience with the BBSxx systems, but have read a lot of the threads for them over the years....

My thoughts on the matter, for what little they are worth. ;)

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117992&p=1736008#p1736035

mickyd said:
CrustyToez001 said:
So we still don't know if an HD motor core/rotor would work on a bbs02?

Not according to tomjasz who says.....

tomjasz said:
I thought that quote was in reference to controllers.
Mechanically they are different motors. Look at YouTube service videos.
The 01 and 02 series changed significantly in 2016. To “B” versions. There is no parts stream for my 2014 and 2015 01 and 02.

Earlier BBSHD rotor shafts failed and the rotor was changed. Dealers had to figure out how to make the new rotor backwards compatible. Now it look# lik3 the next change will be to proprietary systems. Like Bosch and their ilk.

tomjasz said:
mickyd said:
CrustyToez001 said:
So we still don't know if an HD motor core/rotor would work on a bbs02?

Not according to tomjasz who says.....

tomjasz said:
I thought that quote was in reference to controllers.
Mechanically they are different motors. Look at YouTube service videos.
The 01 and 02 series changed significantly in 2016. To “B” versions. There is no parts stream for my 2014 and 2015 01 and 02.

Earlier BBSHD rotor shafts failed and the rotor was changed. Dealers had to figure out how to make the new rotor backwards compatible. Now it look# lik3 the next change will be to proprietary systems. Like Bosch and their ilk.

I believe it can be done. There's only one difference I can see causing a hang up. Between the bbshd motor core shell and 02 shell there's a stabilizing peg. It really looks like you would need to drill a depression in the HD motor core shell about 1/8th or 3/16. That's the only thing I could see as being structurely different.

If it could work it would have to be a bbs02b because of the nylon gear size. The old bbs02 has a different size nylon gear

Hi CrustyToez001,
If you have photos of BBS02 with the HD motor core, would you share them with us. I am very interested.

ykuga said:
Hi CrustyToez001,
If you have photos of BBS02 with the HD motor core, would you share them with us. I am very interested.

Don’t expect an answer or photos.

ykuga said:
Hi CrustyToez001,

And nothing…

Back