Question about Bafang BBSHD maintenance/parts

jellyfish61

100 µW
I have about 2,000 miles on my BBSHD without any problem. However, I intend to open up at least the drive side to add/replace some grease.

(I have noticed that if I spin the pedals backwards there is zero drag and the click-click sound is rather 'metallic', denoting in my opinion a lack of grease).

I've read people advising to get a new gasket beforehand because it will likely break once the motor is opened.

My question is, can someone confirm this? Here in Europe (or even on Aliexpress, eBay etc. for that matter) Bafang gaskets are either unavailable or ridiculously expensive.

I have opened the drive side 2 or 3 times. It got only a bit damaged on the last time, but I think still usable. It damaged because I didn't notice it was somewhat sticked while pulling the cover.

I used silicon liquid gasket.

I was able to get a full set of gaskets for my BBSHD (both paper and rubber), as well as some other parts from California EBike. I did have to buy a second nylon gear (didn't actually need it but swapped it out anyway), from a seller off Amazon. The only thing I've had trouble finding was a non-drive side axle shaft seal. The left side uses a pretty thick seal that is press-fit into place and basically needs to be destroyed to be removed. Turns out, I didn't need to remove that either, but now I have a messed up seal and the only replacement is a little thin one that appears to be BBS02 in design. I'm hoping to salvage part of my existing messed up seal and use it with the outer, thinner replacement part I just ordered. I suspect most of the issues with stock of parts right now is due to China having a zero-tolerance COVID policy that keeps shutting down factories and shipping on a regular basis, making it hard for parts suppliers to get regular stock of many components.

Back