36 Volts on 500 watt Cyclone kit?

Does anybody know if it's OK to run 36 volts on the 500 watt cyclone kit? This is the one where the speed controller is contained in the motor housing. I'm thinking of trying out some of the Bosch power tools 36 volt lith ion batteries on this kit, but it's supposed to only be a 24 Volt kit.

I heard some folks being happy at 30 volts and even 32 on a cyclone 500w, but have not heard yet of anyone running long term happily at 36v. Yet. Maybe they are out there.

d

I've asked this question before to the owner of the place I bought my Cyclone motor from. For what it's worth, he is sure that the internal controller won't handle 36V but that motor itself could. He seems to understand electrics.

Even if the controller could take 36V, I would be concerned that the motor would overheat.

Myself have personally tested to run on 36volts SLA battery on cyclone 500watts Not a lifepo4 ..i have run many trips the 500watts motor is Okay and the controller inside is also Okay. But Do not Try 48volts for 24volts, 100% it will surely fail. i am not sure it can run on litimum 36volts or not. A test will cost $$ involve so it is all on your risk to do it or not. I take the bet and it works fine on 36volts of Sla batteries/ the top speed i have achieved is 50km/h. a photo in my few years electric bike in my attachment file.

24volts on a lifepo4 is light and affordable, i am sure cost is important and the battery weight and size is also very important. smaller it is easy to keep and hide them and compact them. invisible them battery is even better. Big batteries and bigger size you got to find a place to park and it is abit difficult to beautiful them with the bike.

stay 24v is alittle slower in troque but it is always a wonderful ebike. when the motor is over heat, the top speed will slower to 45km/h.

cheers
kentlim26

my attachment is a wooden battery box of 3 x Sla of 12v 12hr.

Attachments

• 36v.jpg
    36v.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 2,134
Hi,
The first time I used the cyclone 500W, I was wrong
battery and connect it to 48V and 7AH, I was testing some
10 minutes before realizing the error, then
I changed the battery to 24V.
A 48V worked very well despite having few amps
available, maybe it was just time to fly
capacitors, it is not much to ask because the motor
tests were flat, but I am left wondering about the
overvolted possibility of the cyclone.

pakobike said:
Hi,
The first time I used the cyclone 500W, I was wrong
battery and connect it to 48V and 7AH, I was testing some
10 minutes before realizing the error, then
I changed the battery to 24V.
A 48V worked very well despite having few amps
available, maybe it was just time to fly
capacitors, it is not much to ask because the motor
tests were flat, but I am left wondering about the
overvolted possibility of the cyclone.

i believe you aren't going full speed/ or fully throttle. as for my 500watts i blown with 48v 12amper, the top speed is 53km/h then it stop completely. so i think 50km/h is the maximum speed (safe speed for the internal controller). if going faster then that, I am quite sure, some how and some where. The motor will stop itself completely. Please don't over voltage to 48v, the internal controller will down after some distance for trying.

kentlim26 said:
Myself have personally tested to run on 36volts SLA battery on cyclone 500watts Not a lifepo4 ..i have run many trips the 500watts motor is Okay and the controller inside is also Okay. But Do not Try 48volts for 24volts, 100% it will surely fail. i am not sure it can run on litimum 36volts or not. A test will cost $$ involve so it is all on your risk to do it or not. I take the bet and it works fine on 36volts of Sla batteries/ the top speed i have achieved is 50km/h. a photo in my few years electric bike in my attachment file.

The voltage will drop substantially when using SLA batteries and drawing high amps under load. I wouldn't be surprised if each 12V battery was sagging down to ~10V each. That would be ~30V total which is within the ratings of the internal components. If using a 36V lithium pack, the voltage sag would be far less when under high current, and so the components are more likely to fail with the higher voltage held under load.

Components can often withstand voltages higher than their ratings when under low current, leading to a sense of security that they are fine under high load when they are not.

If you really want to safely overvolt your motor, i would suggest ordering a 48V controller from Paco and wire it into the motor while bypassing the internal controller. That is what the 1200W cyclone kit uses, so you are essentially upgrading to that level.

Thanks for the replies everybody. Sounds like it's not a good idea. Maybe I should tear apart some Bosch battery packs and build a 7 or 8 series cell pack instead to keep the voltages in a safer range.

Back