Figuring out if my TSDZ2B is 500W or 750W

ttshaw1

100 µW
I bought a TSDZ2B from eBay from a guy who bought it an auction and didn't know what its power rating is. The sticker on the motor specifies it as a
"MIDDLE MOTOR TSDZ2B
DC48V 4000RPM
M12C40C5C00559"
I assume the latter string is a serial number. Does anyone know if there are any differences between the 500W and 750W motors that I can check without opening the thing up?

There's no difference between the 250w, 500w or 750w rated motors. The only two versions of motors are 36V and 48V regardless of power, with the only differences in winding count and wire thickness in the stator. The power rating is restricted by firmware.

ttshaw1 said:
DC48V 4000RPM
.... any differences between the 500W and 750W motors that I can check ....
It is a 48V 4000rpm motor. 500W or 750W are exactly the same. The difference is only for marketing.

Interesting, thanks; so I should be able to replace the firmware with something like this and be able to use it at 750W no matter what it was initially sold at?

Elinx said:
ttshaw1 said:
DC48V 4000RPM
.... any differences between the 500W and 750W motors that I can check ....
It is a 48V 4000rpm motor. 500W or 750W are exactly the same. The difference is only for marketing.
If you're saying the rated voltage and max RPM alone specify the motor's performance, I disagree.

ttshaw1 said:
Interesting, thanks; so I should be able to replace the firmware with something like this and be able to use it at 750W no matter.

Yes. Hardware wise there is no difference between the power levels, apart from the two different motors for 36v and 48v. The controller is actually the same between both, and it’s not uncommon to run the 36v motor with a 48v or 52v battery and the OSF - gives a greater rpm range.

I’d recommend using MBrusa’s firmware. It’s far more up to date and still being developed/refined as against Casainho’s that you linked.

https://github.com/emmebrusa

ttshaw1 said:
...so I should be able to replace the firmware ..... and be able to use it at 750W...
It depends of the source where the Tsdz2B came from.
I think it is possible, because there are not many sellers for the "B" version.
But there is a tiny small chance the controller isn't flashable, because there is one seller that have such a controller, but did'n't sell yet the "B" version.
I don't know which display is delivered with the motor, but the custom build firmware of mbrusa is the most recent for almost all display's.
ttshaw1 said:
If you're saying the rated voltage and max RPM alone specify the motor's performance, I disagree.
No, that is not what I'm saying.
I mean there are only two different bare motors with 4000rpm at a certain Voltage
I say there is no difference between a 48V version with 500W or 750W power rating.

stratohunter said:
There's no difference between the 250w, 500w or 750w rated motors. The only two versions of motors are 36V and 48V regardless of power, with the only differences in winding count and wire thickness in the stator. The power rating is restricted by firmware.

Even funnier: Legally there isn't even a different version for 36V and 48V, they both are CE certified as just "TSDZ2".
Which is relevant in case someone worries about EU legality ;)

Back