BBS remove controler cover

jtekken

1 mW
Hi, I wanted to ask if it is possible to remove the controller for the BBS... from the top aluminium cover, without having to remove the seating grey material? I need to improve the cooling. apply a new heat conductive paste, or improve the connection between the inner and outer side of the controller. I noticed that there are two screws, but if I have seen the controller removed somewhere in photos from the internet, it was always without the grey insulating material, so I don't know if it sticks to the outer part of the controller. Thanks
images

Assuming this is a bbshd controller or the bbs02's controller is the same you likely will have a really hard time pulling it out without removing some of the potting material. I removed all the potting around the edges and a fair amount where the wires exit and even then pulling it out wasn't easy and I decided to do the "screw method" to pull the controller out. The screws are there to hold the controller in so yes you need to take those out. At the very end of the bbshd shunt mod thread is my post where you can see how I removed my controller. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83778&start=275

Just a recommendation make sure to drain all the power out of the controller before you start or you might get a nasty shock like I did. This can be done really easily by connecting the display and without the battery attached holding the power button for a say 10 seconds. I also swapped the thermal paste on mine as the stock application was bad and the thermal paste was applied to a thin layer of that potting material which I'm sure helped insulate the heat

The potting is rubbery and not too hard to dig out. You need to be very careful not to dig into any small wires and break them. If you dig out around the edges and remove the 3 screws, it should come out.

IMG_0735.JPG

Bengy22 said:
Assuming this is a bbshd controller or the bbs02's controller is the same you likely will have a really hard time pulling it out without removing some of the potting material. I removed all the potting around the edges and a fair amount where the wires exit and even then pulling it out wasn't easy and I decided to do the "screw method" to pull the controller out. The screws are there to hold the controller in so yes you need to take those out. At the very end of the bbshd shunt mod thread is my post where you can see how I removed my controller. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83778&start=275

Just a recommendation make sure to drain all the power out of the controller before you start or you might get a nasty shock like I did. This can be done really easily by connecting the display and without the battery attached holding the power button for a say 10 seconds. I also swapped the thermal paste on mine as the stock application was bad and the thermal paste was applied to a thin layer of that potting material which I'm sure helped insulate the heat

Thanks for the detailed description, I looked at your post too.It looks like a risky business 🙂 You have damaged your PAS sensor. I'll think about trying it again. I will discharge the capacitors using the display eventually.

fechter said:
The potting is rubbery and not too hard to dig out. You need to be very careful not to dig into any small wires and break them. If you dig out around the edges and remove the 3 screws, it should come out.

IMG_0735.JPG
OK, I hope it works. I have the BBS02 variant Thanks

jtekken said:
Thanks for the detailed description, I looked at your post too.It looks like a risky business 🙂 You have damaged your PAS sensor. I'll think about trying it again. I will discharge the capacitors using the display eventually.

No problem, yes you do need to be careful risks of shocks or damaging something on the pcb can be high so you need to take your time with it. I actually checked my sensor and its still working, must have shorted something on the controllers side that handles pas, I've learned to live with it while I wait for a aftermarket controller to come back in stock.

thermal epoxy and...

https://talesontwowheels.com/2020/01/28/heat-sinks-for-the-bbshd-ebike-mid-drive/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 3.40.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 3.40.54 PM.png
    535 KB · Views: 128
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 3.44.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 3.44.47 PM.png
    385.4 KB · Views: 128
tomjasz said:
thermal epoxy and...

https://talesontwowheels.com/2020/01/28/heat-sinks-for-the-bbshd-ebike-mid-drive/

Yes, I've had this installed for a long time.🙂

Back