freerides -E-nduro with Bafang BBS02

--freeride--

100 W
I would like to present my Enduro-build. I like vertriding and flowtrails, with this bike I want to do long trips in the alps with 2000-3000m altitude difference and I won't to do technical uphills.

I got into E-Bikes over my daily commuting, im doing 36km a day and have no problems doing another 30km the night.
I am commuting on E-bikes for 2 years now, since then I am dreaming of an full suspension midmotor-Bike.

I did allready four Hubmotor builds, with the BBS02 it is time to do an full-suspension midmotor Bike.

All parts are here, so lets get started with the frame, Votec is a german hi quality brand. I got the frame very cheap it is a 2011 model, good 4link setup like a specialized, 165mm rear travel(6.5inch) and a lot of space for batteries.
I plan to put the batteries in my backpack, but just in case I want them in the frame:

The ISCG filed down to make room for the motor:

Fitting the Motor and optimize the cable routing. The stock cable routing (along the upper tube and over the rocker) kind of sucks. I installed threaded M4 rivets for that reason on the downtube and the chainstays.

Works Components 1.5° angle-headset for tapered Forks, hard to get but worth the money. the frame will have 65.5° headangle with that Headset thats wat i want

Thats it for now.

Subscribed. That is a very nice frame. Looking forward to seeing this one come together. My BBS02 arrives in a few days and goes into cheap dual suspension frame as a test bed for the drive. If I am happy with how the drive performs, I will look at building a bike based on a 4 link frame like you are using.

I personally are not keen on backpack battery set ups but understand the desire to keep the build as clean as possible. It can get uncomfortable riding long distances even with 5kg on your back.

Fork service, I cleaned the dustseals and put fresch grease on:

Put the compression from another Rock Shox Domain in, this one had non:

fresh oil:

ready for the next season:

I got a much lighter Rock Shox Lyrik fork in my non electric bike. Maybe I swap forks later to reduce weight on this bike.

Wheels:

Special tool to get the derailleur hanger straight. Even on brand new frames that needs to be done, the derailleur hanger is never totally straight.
5speed rear cassette with 13-15-20-26-34:

first Discbrake done:

filing the Motorbracket to get it past the pivot of the swingarm:

Thats it until cristmass, the testride will follow in 2014.

freeride,

Very interested in your 5 speed cassette. Planning to run a 5/6/7/8 speed chain? Or are you going to run something even wider? Are you using an 8 speed shifter, and blocking out the first/last three gears, or using every other gear in a 10 speed shifter? The cog spacing looks pretty wide. I would guess the latter.

Hi Warren,

thats a 7/8 speed setup. I did build the cassette out of one 7 speed and one 8 speed cassette. Moved all gears out to get the beste chainline. I want to use 8speed chains.
I am planing to us a 8speed sram shifter with a 10speed Shimano shadow plus detaileur with damping. 6-7-8 will be blocked with detaileurs end stop screws.

Motor is in:

medium_Motor_in.jpg

I went with a 7speed Kassette with a 42T. i allready had to file the detaileur. There is no chance to get the 42T more to the outside

medium_Detailleur_tuning.jpg

Displayholder, more back than the original:

finished, after my first testrun:

The motor is a blast. Silent like a DD even under full load, I love it.

The only problem left is the parameterisation of the Controller...

Hello Freeride,

I'm very interested in how the cassette shifts. I am thinking of doing the same for my downhill bike (leaving out a few sprockets) but am a bit worried that the shifting will suffer. Can you confirm that it works good? or does it take more time to shift?

En plus, j'habite en Belgique. Je vise a faire mes vacances dans les pyrénées ou les alpes et je vais prendre le vélo électrique avec. Peut être une bonne occasion de se rencontre?

a plus,
Roel

I have the same cassette with custom 42T sprocket. It shifts so bad that I had to through it out. My derailleur is for 32T max, I will get one for 36T max, guess it will be a big improvement. Check http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45245&start=750#p834569 and http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45245&start=750#p834472 for details

BTW: Looks great... I like your derailleur hanger tool, very useful...any progress in programming :D ? Dont you use the 4-hole spider i made for you :?

It takes more time for shifting, but it works. I only left one gear out, that is the absolut maximum, what is possible with the 42T. I am not realy happy with this configuration, but I need to do some serious testrides first.
Maybe you should better use a smaller chainring up front and stay with a 34 or 36T in the rear.

With the adapters Crossbreak made for me, it is possible to use a Chainrings from 32T-48T up front. If you want one PM me.

How much power are you running on this build and what battery? I love how clean it is! It would be awesome with a modified down tube for batteries!!

It is 1250W on max Power. wich is good for 30mph with pedaling. The battery is a 14s4p Sony Konion V3, 51V 9AH. I could easily put the battery in a triangle Bag (allready got some here). Even a battery that is twice as big would fit.

But the bike is much more stealth without battery in the frame and much lighter. I may swap the Fork and the wheelset to lighter ones wich are sitting in my Non-E Enduro bike to drop the weight under 20kg.

But for now I am still triing to change those damn controller-Settings...

Hi deepfraught,

sorry I did not exaktly understand. The gab is enough to squeese a shift cable through. But not more. I think I saw an cruiser build with an BMX BB and an none exzentric reduzer to EuroBB that got the motor fit.

If the yellow frame is yours you will have to cut that flange down that is holding the bb shell. Will be a tight fit with lots of grinding...

Did I understand you right?

--freeride-- said:
It is 1250W on max Power. wich is good for 30mph with pedaling. The battery is a 14s4p Sony Konion V3, 51V 9AH. I could easily put the battery in a triangle Bag (allready got some here). Even a battery that is twice as big would fit.

But the bike is much more stealth without battery in the frame and much lighter. I may swap the Fork and the wheelset to lighter ones wich are sitting in my Non-E Enduro bike to drop the weight under 20kg.

But for now I am still triing to change those damn controller-Settings...

Yes but have you seen the builds with the battery IN the down tube? Very stealth and no weight on your back! :wink: Beautiful bike either way and good power for such stealth!

I am using a 42T in the front. 42:13 is still good for 30mph. But I did not test it jett offroad. Wanted to reprogramm the controller first. But that did not work out.
There is a lot of space between the chainstays and the chainwheel. The chainline is not perfekt with the 73mm bb.

There it is, new fork Lyrik RC2 DH, new rims 560g 47mm Trial, new Tires, 2.5 Conti Baron, 2.4 Conti RQ, new 9 fet BBS02 programmed, 38T front Chainring

I although made new 104mm 4hole BBS02 adapters:

Here you see the adapter with two Spacers for the allignement, so you can get your cainring as tide as possible to the Motor:

You will normally need 2 Spasers for 32-36T and only 1 spacer for 38T and higher.

Back