Please help a newbie plan and execute a build

I'm looking to turn a downhill/freeride bike into a highly reliable mountain goat that will also do 40mph on the street. Although I'm mechanically inclined, I'm no engineer or fabricator. Therefore, I need a kit which is essentially a bolt-on solution.

The 3 kits that seem appropriate are the Lightning Rods kit, the DaVinci kit, and the AFT kit. All are beautiful and seem solidly built. I'm not sure how these three compare in terms of performance, reliability or price/value. I'm not even sure they are available. If anyone can provide some insight and advice regarding a comparison and if they think these kits would fit my desired application, I would appreciate it. Also, I would certainly need a vendor willing to provide considerable coaching with the install.

Secondly, I haven't yet chosen the bike. My preferences are the Giant Glory and the Norco Aurum. However, I am open to other considerations. I am concerned about a good match between the kit and the bike. Both these bikes have non-traditional lower tubes, which may cause alignment problems. I would really prefer not having any part of the kit hang lower than the outer crank chain ring and/or have the motor cluster protected with a skid plate that transfers trauma to the frame.

dypsomaniart's Glory with an AFT kit seems to be a good benchmark and I'm tempted to try to clone it.

file.php

Here is the Norco Aurum. See how the lower tube may present mounting issues? I would love to use this platform because of the space in the frame to mount a battery. But, the mount geometry seems problematic.

p4pb11321198.jpg

I'm ready to make this happen now, but I'm paralyzed, afraid of making wrong choices. Any input would be helpful. I need a mentor. Thanks

I did my research for years and decided that the AFT was the best choice for me. I'm not going to come out and say 'its the best', as ive had some good arguements already on the matter. Considering all the options- fitting, proven reliability (cyclone), ease of use, tunability, strength of parts, design, efficiency, how much power a bike cluster can actually handle, looks, weight, noise, long term value etc etc- i'd still build another AFT glory if i had to do it again.
Mine's running flawlessly, its a weapon to ride and i love it.
You probably wouldnt regret any of the kits you mentioned, but to my mind the AFT was the winner, and ive had no regrets or any issues to make me question the choice.

Also the norco looks sweet, but that frame bend might hang the motor a little lower than level. But theres been a couple of generations of AFT kits since mine so it would be worth checking what they reckon, it might be fine.

Good luck with the decision,
Jesse/dypsomaniart

Hello and welcome
Your 2 bike of choice are both excellent machines.
First, let me say that I'm A DaVinci User....and would not change it for another system actually...... :wink:
But given your 2 donor bikes and looking at your words, I would consider one of the other 2 kits mentioned.
Since seems that you prefer a solution as much as possible ready to ride, fast to buy and reliable, and complete cost seems relatively not a problem, I would consider the AFT-EGO kit depending on where you are based and what you prefer.
Having Dypso's good references on his glory should be another crucial reason to go the AFT way without fear to get something that would not fit at all.

I have made this "topic formatted" chart some moths ago...maybe it is useful for you and this thread?
I have made the DaVinci part......consider the LR and AFT datas as estimations or personal opinion only...
Any Adjust or Add would be welcome.... :wink:

----------------------------LR/GNG------------------AFT full upgrade-------------------DaVinci3220/4t/17:1/26inch----------

Cost_________________800+$?_________________2300$?_____________1850$ [Magura/ESC/CAV3/all drivetrain]___

weight_________________?______________________?_____________________[~11lbs/5kg all above included]______

Tens./Curr.__________18s35A?________________14s30A?__________________________12s94A___________________

Motor Kv_______________?_______________________?__________________________169rpm (wye)_______________

RPMmax_______________?________________________?___________________________8450 (50v)_________________

Power[c]____________~2500w?________________~1650w?__________________________~4500w__________________

Torque[c]_______________?_______________________?____________________________90Nm[5,3]________________

Torque[Peak]___________?________________________?____________________________119Nm[7]_________________

Speed_________________?________________________?_____________________________40mph__________________

Frame compat.______extra wide__________________wide____________________________limited_________________

mnt/dismnt_________BB + tools________________BB + tools_______________________1 Allen key________________

Efficiency______________?________________________?______________________[approx 85% to the wheel]_______

time to wait___ long, but evolving[contact Mike]______?_____________________some week [contact Matt]_______

Rel./Last________supposed good________________very good_______________________very good_______________

Dead Stop___________good_______________________good__________________________not so good_____________

Motor Made__________PRC_______________________TW______________________________USA__________________

Drive Made___________USA_______________________AU______________________________USA__________________

As you can see, The DaVinci [with a 3220 motor] is playing another game [RC and over the dreailleur power ratings limits], Just think that It is able to cover the entire range of a GNG/Cyclone extreme kit, with better absolute performances, but single speed...the main issues are the difficult to find a proper frame and, that, if driven sensorless with an RC ESC, It is not suited for WOT from dead stops but typically require an half crank rev. at 0 speed. ALl these systems means a new kind of bike and ride experience, due to the weight and the power.
ALl these systems require, more or less mechanical skills and inclination...at least in the first phase....

Another approach is http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58984 where the system is a superlight low power system intended as an assist to reach the track tops and have the DH machine close to the original one for downhill, even without assist.

Cheers

Thanks for all the replies. I've been busy trying to source a project bike. I made some decisions. First, I ordered a 2015 haibike, xduro, nduro rx.

15_HB_XDURO_Nduro_RX.jpg

The problem is, I will not be receiving the bike until March 2015. That's 20 weeks. Now, this bike is certainly no power monster. However, it is a considerable mountain bike and will be perfect for my wife's short commute. I will certainly enjoy riding it as well.

As for a project bike, I am 95% set on the Glory.
15%20Glory%2027.5%201%20Black&White.jpg

I will likely be taking a weekend trip to Vancouver to purchase a 2015 Glory 1. There are several issues. First, I'm not sure it has the same frame geometry as dypsomaniart's Glory. Therefore, I'm not sure how well the AFT kit will fit. Then, it has 27.5 inch wheels. I'm not sure how this will effect which kit I use. Then, it has a short cage derailer, which may present compatibility issues.

I talked to Jim at AFT. It is my preferred choice at this point. However, it is expensive. The works will be over 3k USD, plus $250 shipping and 3.5% currency exchange fee. I may actually consider a cheap temporary mid drive like a bafang, then go all in after I am acclimated.

Any comments, input, suggestions, or criticisms are welcome and appreciated.

With the 83mm BB on the glory i dont think anything but an AFT, GNG, LR, DaVinci or EGO kit will fit.
Pretty sure mine runs the short derailler, and works perfectly.
The frame bend etc looks the same, shouldnt be any mounting issues, and the extra wheel diameter should make no difference, except to give slightly taller gearing. Should still climb no worries. I went for the 44t engine drive sprocket and 32t (stock glory) wheel drive sprocket. If you got a 46t that would probably balance it out again if ya go for the AFT.

I have the AFT also and it's been great! Jim has awesome customer service. You can see plenty of videos in thread below.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57337

Back