Bafang Mid Drive

tundra68

1 mW
Hello Everyone,

New to this Mid Drive and wondering the reliability, range and etc. versus a rear hub motor what I currently have. Respect what you guys have to say !!

Already have a 48V11AH battery and was looking into the 48V500W Bafang Mid Drive, ride mostly dirt mountain bike trails in state parks etc.

The bike I'm looking at is from bikes direct and was wondering if I would have to change out rear cassette and how drive train in general would hold up?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fsx_1.htm

Sorry to come across as a bike snob. This is one notch up from big box bikes. It might hold up as a commuter, if you take it easy. The components aren't up to actual off-road mountain biking. The suspension is basically for show. You'd be better off putting the same amount of money into a used, name brand hardtail. Bikes Direct does have some decent bikes, but they will cost you more than your mid-drive.

You questioning drive train ( hub, chain, derailleur etc.) Not going to be doing any downhill or jumping with bike. But like I said you guys have the experience so have to respect that. Can you use the stock cassete on rear wheel even if it has 8 cogs? Trying to simplify things with keeping shifter and everything else stock on whatever bike I decide on.

The Shimano Megarange 8 speed on there is a freewheel, not a cassette. It is about as good as freewheels get these days, unfortunately...OK but not great. The lowest/biggest cog is a 34 tooth. This would be fine for on-road. Off-road surfaces are harder going, and steeper than anything you'll find on-road. You really want a smaller front chainring. See the other threads here for suppliers of chainring adaptors for this kit.

Thanks Warren, should I stick with stock chain? That's one of my concerns being 10 miles into woods and snapping a chain. How is the range on these utilizing throttle only versus the equivilant hub motor?

The bafang will allow you to keep your rear cassette and use the bike gears as needed to maintain efficiency.

I always keep a 10-link section of chain and a breaker in my bag when riding mid-drive. I've only ever had one chain breakdown (twice actually, but they were both the same cheap chain). No problems since replacing with a beefy chain.

What kind of chain do you recommend? Don't have to go with that bike from bikesdirect but how do these mid drives work with full suspension bikes versus hardtail?............Thanks

I use a hard tail with a GNG1.1 belt-drive. I swapped out my rear cassette and replaced with a single speed 16t and went to a shadow conspiracy interlock chain. (i never used my gears enough and this provides simpler, stronger solution)

If you have a full suspension bike, you'll likely want one *without* floating BB. Not sure of the bafang, but the GNG definitely won't work with a floating BB.

You'll also want some chain guide for top and bottom of your chainring if you're planning to do any jumps/heavy trails.

I already own a couple of bikes with hub drive kits, but would like to build a fat bike with the Bafang BBS02 mid-drive kit. This bike would be used mainly in the city - no off road driving. I am starting from scratch and was wondering what bike would be a good one to build on. I would like some gears (7-8 speed?) so I can pedal if I choose, plus disc brakes front and rear. I am not 100% sure I understand about the dropout size constraints. Do most fat bikes have a wider dropout than the BBS02 can fit? and if so, how do you get around that?

Thanks for any input.

dilkes said:
I already own a couple of bikes with hub drive kits, but would like to build a fat bike with the Bafang BBS02 mid-drive kit. This bike would be used mainly in the city - no off road driving. I am starting from scratch and was wondering what bike would be a good one to build on. I would like some gears (7-8 speed?) so I can pedal if I choose, plus disc brakes front and rear. I am not 100% sure I understand about the dropout size constraints. Do most fat bikes have a wider dropout than the BBS02 can fit? and if so, how do you get around that?

Thanks for any input.
I'm pretty sure the issue is that most fat bikes have >68mm bottom brackets

tundra68,

The stock 8 speed chain should be fine. I use basic SRAM 8 speed chain, and the SRAM quick link. It is as strong as any derailleur chain you will find. Heavy duty single speed chain is stronger, and works well with internal gear hubs. But running the 500 watt Bafang, you should not be loading it up too badly, as long as you are in a sensible gear. I found that shifting from smaller to larger rear cogs, under power, would eventually break the quick link. Going from bigger to smaller, under power works fine. I use throttle only, and can chop the power on and off in an instant. I hate pedalec, and the delays it causes. I frankly can't see any use for it, but I guess others like it.

dilkes said:

Thanks for any input.

California ebike sells a Bafang BBS02 with a 100mm BB fat bike conversion. Workmanship is excellent and Doug provides great service. Highly recommended even if it's not cheap. ;)

http://california-ebike.com/product/bafang-fatbike-mid-drive-bbs-02-ebike-conversion-kit/

Hi r3volved,
I think you left out an important part, which is the machined extended axle. I assume by 'extension block' you are referring to the extension tube that is needed to secure the drive within the bottom bracket. That part is manufactured in Benicia, California.

The extended axle is the primary part of the kit and is a high-quality machined piece manufactured in Vancouver, Washington. Electrical Discharge Machining (ERM) is required to make this axle properly and there are not many machine shops that perform that work. This extended axle is far superior to the original stock 68mm Bafang axle.

Take into consideration that converting Bafang BBS-02 mid drives to mount on fat bikes with 100mm bottom brackets is an extremely narrow niche. The manufacturing costs of a part like this in small batches is very high. Which is why Bafang, or anyone else, has not produced a kit like this.

We all have to judge for ourselves the amount of value we will derive from a given product at a given price point. And that will be different for everyone. But the one thing I can assure you of is that given the amount of R&D and manufacturing that go into this kit, the pricing is very reasonable.

Let me know if you have any questions about the kit. Doug will be announcing some new developments around the kit, so perhaps the value proposition of it will increase for you in the near future.

Best Regards

Well clarified, thank you. Are you affiliated?
I would apply that similar description to your product page as that makes much more sense as to the increased cost.
I'm aware that it's a bleeding edge product and there will be a market with early adopters. I wish you luck, but make sure you've got other stuff in the works because a 100mm kit is going to be a natural progression for the big players...they'll be able to match their current price point; perhaps not as beefy, but the beef will always be minority compared with cost. Unfortunately

I do wish you luck though as I'm that type of beef adopter - currently waiting for an LR kit.

Start adding up the cost of a LR kit...it gets pretty damn expensive, quick, and definitely not play and play(pray for some :wink:)

Sounds like you'll love it. I don't think the BBS0? would take anywhere near the abuse. Enjoy! I envy your choice and ability to put it to use.

cbzen said:
Doug will be announcing some new developments around the kit

Now that makes me curious...

Kits...
I hope...

Question is how do these mid drive kits work with full suspension bikes? That's my concern, someone mentioned here about having a floating bottom bracket on bike?

Thanks everyone !!!

I think the bafang works on a floating BB...it may sit a bit lower than your chainring depending on your bike.
As far as I know, it does not affix to the downtube like the GNG models do (in which case, mounts at both BB && downtube would make your suspension pivot point rigid)

Most of the full suspension bikes that are less then 1,500.00 don't use a floating bottom bracket just found this out. Bafang doesn't mount to downtube. Any suggestions?

1289905871759-83677etahjd4-960-540.jpg

Notice how the BB is not attached to the downtube...if you were to have a motor mounted at the BB and fixed to the downtube, the pivot would not be able to articulate.

Looking through some BBS build threads, it looks like the BBS will pretty much mount to any bike with a 68mm BB; full-suspension and rigid rear triangles.
Full-suspension might require some chain guides to mitigate chain drops with a mid-drive.

Sorry for any confusion...it doesn't appear that the suspension style matters.

Back