29" wheels VS 26 or 27 /2" wheels.

tundra68

1 mW
Took your guys advise regarding bafang 48V500W mid drive and hardtail. From your experience will I get better battery range using a larger wheel? Battery I currently have is 48V11AH.

Thanks !!!

Middie is all about how you gear the bike. The middie motor can achieve optimal RPM sooner if your in the optimal gear already (aka downshifting)

Hubbie can be more complicated. The bigger the hubbie wheel, the harder the motor has to spin it to get to its most optimal RPM.

You're set :wink: . Just make sure your motor fits in the bottom bracket. 68mm is a sure bet. 73mm may require some grinding of the drive side bottom bracket to achieve optimal chain alignment. 100mm can't be done without a major $$$ modified part only sold in niche market. You should easily achieve 30mph with that motor's spec.

I'd go 27.5 wheels only if you believe the bicycle industry has accepted it as mainstream bike culture. You go to a LBS and you'll mainly see 26er and 700cc tires on their shelves as convenience.

Have fat tire bike with 100mm bb that I would love to do something with. The hub kits weigh more then bike. The Bafang mid drive sold by a few are more expensive then the Minnesota 1.0...... I own.

Any suggestions?

Thank you !!

tundra68 said:
Have fat tire bike with 100mm bb that I would love to do something with. The hub kits weigh more then bike. The Bafang mid drive sold by a few are more expensive then the Minnesota 1.0...... I own.

Any suggestions?

Thank you !!

http://california-ebike.com/product/bafang-fatbike-mid-drive-bbs-02-ebike-conversion-kit/
california-ebike-bafang-fatbike-kit.jpg

bafang-fatbike-extended-axle-kit.jpg

Kinda first time looking at it. Initially, I thought it was $1300 just for the modification :cry: . But it's for the whole BBS-2 750w kit (minus the battery). Still pricey, but if it works, people will pay for it.

Another option is to go for LightningRod's kit & specify it for a 100mm. Cheaper, bigger motor, more power, to drive your Fattie wherever you want it to go. :wink:

melodius and tundra68,
Stay tuned as a DIY package will be announced in the upcoming days for the 100mm axle. This should make it a much better value proposition for current Bafang BBS-02 owners.

Back