Bafang BBS-0X to Ed Lyen controller Wiring

mwkeefer

1 MW
Hello all,

I've noted several people looking to hook up an external Lyen type controller to their Bafang BBS0X mid drives and wondering about color, proper controller, etc so I thought I would post the color combinations and later some images of actual connections to the Bafang BBS02 I ride on my Nova.

Honestly it's just a way for me to push myself into redoing the wiring on my existing bike which is long overdue and was only supposed to be for testing about 9 months ago :)

Proper controller choices: Up to stock voltage (48v) the Lyen 3077 based controllers are the best choice as they are most efficient at lower voltages. Above 48v go with the IRFB4110 options, so for 14S or higher use the 4110. This will give best efficiency and performance.

Color Codes:

Bafang middrive motor color lining info:
Lyen Controller: Motor:
HALL:
Yellow Grey
Green White
Blue Purple

PHASE:
Yellow Yellow
Green Blue
Blue Green

or

HALL:
Yellow Lightish blue
Green White
Blue Grey

PHASE:
Yellow Yellow
Green Blue
Blue Green

Hope this helps someone !

-Mike

Got it up and working with your combination on my old 9fet lyen controller ! Many thanks it works great at 12s lipo can't wait to try it at higher voltages! :p

wineboyrider said:
Got it up and working with your combination on my old 9fet lyen controller ! Many thanks it works great at 12s lipo can't wait to try it at higher voltages! :p

Any advice for not having the same problem with the Bafang controller that you experienced? (I got my BBS-02 from the same source as you.)

Also, can you show a photo of your new wiring interface to the Bafang drive?

No advice suncoaster my stock unit gave me about 18 glorious miles before it started behaving funny. I can say that now that I have the lyen controller on it runs smoother quieter and more efficiently! I'll post a picture tomorrow. You will have to remove most of the insides of the internal controller and use a 6 pin jst connector (same as a 5s lipo harness ) and then I used a 5 old throttle cable that I had lying around to hook up the colors correctly and finally I used old high quality speaker wire which I soldered to the motor itself. This setup allows me to run higher and lower voltages if I want to I have a 6 fet lyen on the way as it's a smaller and meaner contraption than my old 9fet lyen.
:p

I wouldn't push the Bafang past 55.5 or 61.2v maximum input voltage without cutting the current back signifiigantly. Even still the gearing may not appreciate the speed you want to run it at. Just food for thought, be careful.

PS: You don't need to remove any of the stock controller, just clip and splice the HALL and PASS wires, remove the old controller power connector for room to run the new PHase and Hall lines and your done. It's at best a 20-30 minute job, even done correctly :)

-Mike

Thanks mwkeefer for the heads up on the current advice. I plan to run it a higher voltage probably 16s lipo hardcase with a 3 speed power limiter so I can have an occasional boost when I need it. On 12s lipo the 9fet is showing a maximum 1300w peak current so I am thinking I can probably go a bit more than that.

Hello,

This seems an older thread and I stumbled onto it by accident while searching information on Ed Lyen controllers with BBS02 750w 48v model.

While it's nice to see sensored controllers from Lyen can be used, I thought I'd share my experience with the Ed Lyen Mark II Sensorless 3077 6 FET controller and the BBS02-750 48v kit.

I have tested the Mark II 3077SL with nothing more than a throttle and 3 Phase Lines connected using 12S, 13S and 14S packs.

The controller is programmed as a 12 FET 3077 Lyen and with a current limit of 22A/44A and a Block Time of .01, Speed of 110%. So far my low tech current and voltage monitor show momentary peaks of 29.3 Amps across the pack voltage ranges.

My favorite pack is a toss up between 13S and 14S.

The results have been excellent! I am still working out the gearing (52t driving an 11t) and will be changing the chainring and / or rear freewheel 7 speed.

I have some measurement tools and will conduct some testing on:

Motor RPM, Motor Temperature, Motor Max, Minimum and Average Current, Max and Average Power, WH/Mi, AH/Mi, Crank Driven RPM, Average Speed, Max Speed

along with adjusting the gearing ratio to get it in the sweetest spot for the ride I've installed this on.

I will post back with Test Result Data.

William -aka- pa.hioficr@gmail.com

Back