New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
ilu   100 W

100 W

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by ilu » Dec 31 2020 1:09am

andyme wrote:
Dec 30 2020 11:53am
I want to add two observations: when i press the walk assist button, i will get this error 3 torque fault message also. so i do not even need to ride the bike to get it. it also "works" when standing.
and: when i go in menu "technical" i do get changing values of the torque when i step on the pedal...so something seems to still be working there...no idea....

so my assumption is: engine failure? meaning: it cannot create the necessary torque and thus the error message..
what do you think?
I've understood that there's a mixup in the error codes and error 3 actually refers to hall signal error, which could be a fault in the sensors, their wiring or the controller. I assume you are using OSF, but which version?

In the Technical section in the menu you can see the hall signal. You can rotate very slow the bicycle wheel back backwards to see this value changing and it must always follow the next same sequence and values must be only the next ones: 4, 6, 2, 3, 1, 5.

The hall sensors are located on top of the motor, next to the three phase wires. Hall signal wires are the ones going to the 5-pin connector, here you can also check with a multimeter if you get consistent voltage readings between red/black wire and other colors, and these change according to the angle of the motor rotor.

Anyway, also double check all the wires going to the controller. If these are all good I'd think it's more probably a fault in the controller than in the motor, but you might have to get a spare one to be sure.

andyme   100 W

100 W

Post by andyme » Dec 31 2020 2:53am

LeftCoastNurd wrote:
Dec 31 2020 12:14am
andyme wrote:
Dec 30 2020 7:13pm
I apologize for the following question:..

The actual motor has 3 thick wires blue, green and yellow.

Can the battery be connected to (which) 2 of these in order to see if the motor works or if it is broken? My intention would be to simply.make the motor run.b applying voltage directly to it to see if it is still.working at all.

Or is there another way of checking this out without proper installation?

Many thanks in advance
no, its a 3 phase servo motor, you need to apply 3 phases of AC to it to get it to spin. higher the frequency the faster it turns, the phases should be synchronized with the encoder outputs for it to spin smoothly.
I almost thought so, but I was wondering how that should be possible to do with a DC battery. Impressive...for me at least..haha.
Anyhow: thanks for the info!

sysrq   100 W

100 W

Post by sysrq » Dec 31 2020 10:43am

Wapous wrote:
Dec 30 2020 8:36pm
For many of us, the time has come for a good cleaning and refurbishment of our TSDZ2. This often involves the replacement of different bearings.
Hope this might help you.
What was the typical mileage which warrants replacement? Or just ride it into the ground.

Doohickey   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Doohickey » Dec 31 2020 5:13pm

andyme wrote:

Can the battery be connected to (which) 2 of these in order to see if the motor works or if it is broken? My intention would be to simply.make the motor run.b applying voltage directly to it to see if it is still.working at all.

Many thanks in advance
IIRC, when you spin the motor shaft by hand with all the wires disconnected as well as disconnected from each other, it should feel like it is "sitting" / or "plopping" into place in multiple points as you rotate it (the magnets attraction on the rotor is noticeable). If you then short the wires together, the motion as you turn it should feel completely smooth, i.e there is no more "magnetic" feeling as you turn it, and I think it feels stiffer to turn too. If you short just two wires together its something in between.

You can also test with a multimeter, to see if the readings between phases seem sensible, I believe all combinations of wires should show a similar resistance.

Don't apply DC, that may cause the magic smoke to escape and fry the motor. It's a brushless (not-really)-DC motor, which requires a controller to turn DC into synchronized three phases to make it turn.

andyme   100 W

100 W

Post by andyme » Dec 31 2020 7:08pm

Doohickey wrote:
Dec 31 2020 5:13pm
andyme wrote:

Many thanks in advance
IIRC, when you spin the motor shaft by hand with all the wires disconnected as well as disconnected from each other, it should feel like it is "sitting" / or "plopping" into place in multiple points as you rotate it (the magnets attraction on the rotor is noticeable). If you then short the wires together, the motion as you turn it should feel completely smooth, i.e there is no more "magnetic" feeling as you turn it, and I think it feels stiffer to turn too. If you short just two wires together its something in between.

You can also test with a multimeter, to see if the readings between phases seem sensible, I believe all combinations of wires should show a similar resistance.

Don't apply DC, that may cause the magic smoke to escape and fry the motor. It's a brushless (not-really)-DC motor, which requires a controller to turn DC into synchronized three phases to make it turn.
Many thanks, I will check this out!

mdumdei   1 mW

1 mW

Post by mdumdei » Jan 02 2021 4:57pm

mdumdei wrote:
Dec 30 2020 7:14pm
casainho wrote:
Dec 30 2020 11:57am
mdumdei wrote:
Dec 29 2020 10:10pm
I've got a strange problem I can't figure out. My 850C display went out on me and so I updated to an 860C. At the same time, I went from 1.00 to 1.10 on the opensource software. I have a 29 bike with larger tires and setting the circumference to 2410 had me sync'd with my GPS perfectly with the 850C. I put that same number in under the 860C / 1.10 setup and I'm constantly showing about 85% of actual distance no matter what I put in for wheel circumference. I moved it to 2800 since that was what it calculated out to, but was still off by the exact same percentage as when I had it at 2410. I looked in the source and saw 2100 is the default which calcs out to about what I'm seeing (2100/2410 = .87). It looks like it is not using the number in the UI and always using the default. Also dug through the source for both 1.00 and 1.10 and saw nothing that would appear to cause that. The trip stuff is in 1.10, but it doesn't look like it handles retrieval of the settings from the eeprom or the moving of the wheel_perimeter value any differently than 1.00. If no one has any suggestions, I'm going to revert to 1.00 and see if that resolves it (in case I missed something). Going to blame the 860C if that doesn't change anything. FYI: I've been running on various renditions for the last 8,000 km and it just works - good stuff.
Maybe you can try to change the sources for you specific value and see if it works...
This issue is strange since no one reported it before but everyone used it!!
Did that, but it's been raining too much to check it out. Thought about just trying the 'Reset to Defaults' to and reconfiguring to see if that shook it loose. Going to try the version compiled with the new perimeter default first though.
I did some more looking into the code and saw the odometer calc was done like it was in 1.0.0 so checked the distance on the odometer vs. the trip meter. I found the odometer gave a correct value but the trip meter was short. I'm still working out the logic of the trip code, but I'm wondering if it isn't cutting off precision at these lines in "state.c" around line 517:
// update all trip distance variables
rt_vars.ui32_trip_a_distance_x1000 += (ui32_temp / 1000);
rt_vars.ui32_trip_b_distance_x1000 += (ui32_temp / 1000);

ui32_temp is wheel_ticks * perimeter. For a wheel that is close to a multiple of 1000 mm, the error wouldn't be much. For a wheel about out in the middle like mine at 2410, the error would be larger and more noticeable. 'wheel_ticks' in the new code is right above that and is:

// calculate how many revolutions since last reset ...
uint32_t wheel_ticks = rt_vars.ui32_wheel_speed_sensor_tick_counter
- ui32_wheel_speed_sensor_tick_counter_offset;

// ... and convert to distance traveled
uint32_t ui32_temp = wheel_ticks * ((uint32_t) rt_vars.ui16_wheel_perimeter);

Looks unscaled to me at first glance and running integer math on it is going to drop trailing digits. The flaw in that logic is I see the var is named 'x1000' which would indicate it is scaled. Posting this in case someone has some insight and could save me some time. I'm going to attempt to resolve it myself, but not being familiar with the code, it may take a while. I "think" something is wrong though since on my bike the trip meter runs about 85% of the distance shown on the odometer. Anyone else seeing a discrepancy between the trip meters and the change in odometer value?

mdumdei   1 mW

1 mW

Post by mdumdei » Jan 02 2021 5:42pm

I think that was it. I fixed it with 3 lines of code. The beginning of state.c now looks like this in my rev (changes are bold faced). My odometer and trip now both match after applying the updated code:

static void rt_calc_trips(void) {
static uint8_t ui8_1s_timer_counter = 0;
static uint8_t ui8_3s_timer_counter = 0;
static uint32_t ui32_wheel_speed_sensor_tick_counter_offset = 0;
static uint32_t ui32_remainder = 0;

// used to determine if trip avg speed values have to be calculated :
// - on first time this function is called ; so set by dfault to 1
// - then every 1 meter traveled
static uint8_t ui8_calc_avg_speed_flag = 1;

// calculate how many revolutions since last reset ...
uint32_t wheel_ticks = rt_vars.ui32_wheel_speed_sensor_tick_counter
- ui32_wheel_speed_sensor_tick_counter_offset;

// ... and convert to distance traveled
uint32_t ui32_temp = wheel_ticks * ((uint32_t) rt_vars.ui16_wheel_perimeter) + ui32_remainder;

// if traveled distance is more than 1 wheel turn update trip variables and reset
if (wheel_ticks >= 1) {

ui8_calc_avg_speed_flag = 1;

// update all trip distance variables
rt_vars.ui32_trip_a_distance_x1000 += (ui32_temp / 1000);
rt_vars.ui32_trip_b_distance_x1000 += (ui32_temp / 1000);
ui32_remainder = ui32_temp % 1000;

mdumdei   1 mW

1 mW

Post by mdumdei » Jan 02 2021 7:01pm

One last comment and I will stop cluttering the channel. I saw calc_odometer was discarding some turns of the wheel too and made a change to hang on to those also:

static void rt_calc_odometer(void) {
static uint8_t ui8_1s_timer_counter;
uint8_t ui8_01km_flag = 0;

// calc at 1s rate
if (++ui8_1s_timer_counter >= 10) {
ui8_1s_timer_counter = 0;

// calculate how many revolutions since last reset and convert to distance traveled
uint32_t ui32_temp = (rt_vars.ui32_wheel_speed_sensor_tick_counter
- rt_vars.ui32_wheel_speed_sensor_tick_counter_offset)
* ((uint32_t) rt_vars.ui16_wheel_perimeter) + ui32_remainder;

// if traveled distance is more than 100 meters update all distance variables and reset
if (ui32_temp >= 100000) { // 100000 -> 100000 mm -> 0.1 km
// update all distance variables
// ui_vars.ui16_distance_since_power_on_x10 += 1;
rt_vars.ui32_odometer_x10 += 1;
ui8_01km_flag = 1;
ui32_remainder = ui32_temp - 100000;

// reset the always incrementing value (up to motor controller power reset) by setting the offset to current value
rt_vars.ui32_wheel_speed_sensor_tick_counter_offset =
rt_vars.ui32_wheel_speed_sensor_tick_counter;
}
}

mdumdei   1 mW

1 mW

Post by mdumdei » Jan 02 2021 7:15pm

sysrq wrote:
Dec 31 2020 10:43am
Wapous wrote:
Dec 30 2020 8:36pm
For many of us, the time has come for a good cleaning and refurbishment of our TSDZ2. This often involves the replacement of different bearings.
Hope this might help you.
What was the typical mileage which warrants replacement? Or just ride it into the ground.
I have 8000 km (5200 mi) on mine and greased the main drive gear once just because. I've had more trouble with my seat squeaking than the motor :).

casainho   100 GW

100 GW

Post by casainho » Jan 02 2021 11:21pm

mdumdei wrote:
Jan 02 2021 7:01pm
One last comment and I will stop cluttering the channel. I saw calc_odometer was discarding some turns of the wheel too and made a change to hang on to those also:

static void rt_calc_odometer(void) {
static uint8_t ui8_1s_timer_counter;
uint8_t ui8_01km_flag = 0;

// calc at 1s rate
if (++ui8_1s_timer_counter >= 10) {
ui8_1s_timer_counter = 0;

// calculate how many revolutions since last reset and convert to distance traveled
uint32_t ui32_temp = (rt_vars.ui32_wheel_speed_sensor_tick_counter
- rt_vars.ui32_wheel_speed_sensor_tick_counter_offset)
* ((uint32_t) rt_vars.ui16_wheel_perimeter) + ui32_remainder;

// if traveled distance is more than 100 meters update all distance variables and reset
if (ui32_temp >= 100000) { // 100000 -> 100000 mm -> 0.1 km
// update all distance variables
// ui_vars.ui16_distance_since_power_on_x10 += 1;
rt_vars.ui32_odometer_x10 += 1;
ui8_01km_flag = 1;
ui32_remainder = ui32_temp - 100000;

// reset the always incrementing value (up to motor controller power reset) by setting the offset to current value
rt_vars.ui32_wheel_speed_sensor_tick_counter_offset =
rt_vars.ui32_wheel_speed_sensor_tick_counter;
}
}
Good findings!! Please make a pull request so this changes will be add to the firmware.
- EBike wireless standard: wireless motor, wireless cycling GPS display Garmin Edge and wireless remote with wireless brake sensor
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless EBike standard ANT+ and Bluetooth, TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

Please consider a donation to help developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa

feketehegyi   10 W

10 W

Post by feketehegyi » Jan 03 2021 1:07am

mdumdei wrote:
Jan 02 2021 7:01pm
One last comment and I will stop cluttering the channel. I
From my side I can tell you that I really enjoyed your posts. Thank you!

mdumdei   1 mW

1 mW

Post by mdumdei » Jan 03 2021 4:52pm

casainho wrote:
Jan 02 2021 11:21pm

Good findings!! Please make a pull request so this changes will be add to the firmware.
I forked the main branch, did the edits to state.c and a pull request. Pretty naive on github protocols so let me know if it didn't come through as expected. I may have done a pull against my own fork and it not be something that shows up where you can see it. I need to get up to speed on all that. I did a good test today and after getting my wheel perimeter set right, it was dead-on for both the trip meter and the odometer. I had to reduce my previous wheel circumference by 80 mm to get it matched up to my GPS which makes sense since it is no longer discarding any traveled mm. The new value is in line with the actual measured circumference of the wheel.

casainho   100 GW

100 GW

Post by casainho » Jan 03 2021 5:03pm

mdumdei wrote:
Jan 03 2021 4:52pm
casainho wrote:

I forked the main branch, did the edits to state.c and a pull request. Pretty naive on github protocols so let me know if it didn't come through as expected. I may have done a pull against my own fork and it not be something that shows up where you can see it. I need to get up to speed on all that. I did a good test today and after getting my wheel perimeter set right, it was dead-on for both the trip meter and the odometer. I had to reduce my previous wheel circumference by 80 mm to get it matched up to my GPS which makes sense since it is no longer discarding any traveled mm. The new value is in line with the actual measured circumference of the wheel.
I got no pull request notification and it should be listed here, see: https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/Color_LCD/pulls?q=

Thanks for the efforts!!
- EBike wireless standard: wireless motor, wireless cycling GPS display Garmin Edge and wireless remote with wireless brake sensor

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless EBike standard ANT+ and Bluetooth, TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

mdumdei   1 mW

1 mW

Post by mdumdei » Jan 03 2021 10:43pm

casainho wrote:
Jan 03 2021 5:03pm
mdumdei wrote:
Jan 03 2021 4:52pm
casainho wrote:

I got no pull request notification and it should be listed here, see: https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/Color_LCD/pulls?q=

Thanks for the efforts!!
Maybe now? Think I did it right this time.

casainho   100 GW

100 GW

Post by casainho » Jan 04 2021 3:01am

Done, thank you.

FijiBrad   1 mW

1 mW

Post by FijiBrad » Jan 05 2021 1:40am

Hi. Is there a preferred supplier for this motor on Alibaba.com?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeftCoastNurd   100 W

100 W

Re: New

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Jan 05 2021 3:05am

FijiBrad wrote:
Jan 05 2021 1:40am
Hi. Is there a preferred supplier for this motor on Alibaba.com?
I'm in the USA (California) and got mine from eco-ebikes.com, and am very happy with the setup and support. they are on the other coast, but stuff gets here usually in a few days, which is fine by me

if tong sheng has their own aliexpress store, I'd consider getting it there, but I have no experience with the vendors on there, its kind of a crapshoot. I'd be very leary of neverheardofem battery packs. I got a 'shark' pack with 14S4P samsung 35E cells from eco-ebikes. I probably should have found a 14S3P or even 14S2P as I doubt I'll ever run this pack out, its hours of fun with the TSDZ2, and my conversion is a 700c bike built to be reasonably light and fast.

imho, the tsdz2 *needs* the temp sensor if you're going to run any sort of power above minimal, especially if you want to spin up hills, and you need to watch it. I'm running the 1.1.0 firmware, on the 860C display and the tsdz2.

casainho   100 GW

100 GW

Re: New

Post by casainho » Jan 05 2021 3:50am

[LeftCoastNurd post_id=1609099 time=1609833905 user_id=68326]

Beautiful!! thanks for sharing.

That bicycle should be light!! If you are going to install a smaller battery, you may try to get a custom one made for you. And I would lower as much as possible the battery on the frame.

LeftCoastNurd   100 W

100 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Jan 05 2021 5:05am

it was pretty close to 25 lbs without luggage before I electrified it. it originally had 700x32 tires, I upgrade dto 700x40 to go with the heavier kit.

it was a 3x8 speed, now its a 8 speed. it had a 48-38-28 front with a 13-28 8 speed rear, now it has a 42 front with an 11-32 8 speed rear and hte same alivio derailleur. new bars, new brake levers and shifter.

I think its about 45 lbs with that big 730WH battery. with the rides I've done to date, I've barely dented that. I need to get back in the saddle and get back into the groove.

I think this bike will support 50-60 mile rides and still have home-hill climb power.

I still need to finalize the wiring, its still in setup and test. I wanna replace the battery power chinese bullet connectors with a PP30, and generally shorten up all the wiring and wrap it in loom and re-tiewrap that to the frame.

LeftCoastNurd   100 W

100 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Jan 05 2021 5:17am

cnrd   100 mW

100 mW

Post by cnrd » Jan 05 2021 5:22am

Anyone know the color of the wires in the speed sensor for the light?

I want to splice it out inside the motor, such that I can pull the light wires out to a different place on the frame and avoid the unsightly yellow splitter block.

casainho   100 GW

100 GW

Post by casainho » Jan 05 2021 5:36am

quote=LeftCoastNurd post_id=1609107 time=1609841155 user_id=68326

I am really proud to see our many hours work and idealization, on a so beautiful build / bicycle. I also love the colors of the leaves and the trees <3

feketehegyi   10 W

10 W

Post by feketehegyi » Jan 10 2021 6:24am

fyi, if you are interested in a concept of rail e-bike with TSDZ2. The tracks in the video are not connected to the main railway. They are on a closed private property so it was safe to experiment it.
https://youtu.be/BkdEg8w-C5s
Last edited by feketehegyi on Jan 23 2021 3:22am, edited 1 time in total.

casainho   100 GW

100 GW

Post by casainho » Jan 10 2021 8:04am

feketehegyi wrote:
Jan 10 2021 6:24am
fyi, if you are interested in a concept of rail e-bike with TSDZ2. The tracks in the video are not connected to the main railway. They are on a closed private property so it was safe to experiment it.
[youtube]-RtE6aY_cVQ[/youtube]
That is crazy :-) why the interest of such idea? I must say that locally we have a very slow old train in parallel to a road, connecting 2 cities where I live for 25 kms and I did grew up travelling on that train as also driving car on the road as also riding that 25 kms with my first EBikes... I always though that would be great to use the train tracks for a fast way ride that 25 kms...

Also we have some places on the mountains that are now bike paths but were on old times a train track...

beemac   1 kW

1 kW

Post by beemac » Jan 10 2021 11:04am

Hi - hoping i've not missed this info but I've searched this thread and checked the wiki...

Anyone found a source for the thin ring seal that sits in the groove of the CSK30 bearing under the spider? I broke mine today and whilst i've temporarily fixed it with a dab of superglue I'd like to find a source for replacement. CSK30's with the groove don't appear to be supplied with the ring seal from what I can see.

I measured the broken seal - OD is c.59mm - length is 182-183mm (hard to measure exactly because it stretches) cross section profile is a triangle (or trapezoid more accurately) - approx 1.5mm base and 2mm sides to a flattened point.

If anyone has more precise measurements - feel free to correct me - I don't own a micrometer unfortunately.

I can find o rings of the right size - but can't find any with the triangle cross section.

I have ordered some nitrile o-rings to try - 1.5mm section, 59mmOD - but would be nice to find the right part.

I've emailed a few manufacturers but betting that someone here has found a source already?