Bikes that are Compatible with a BBSHD

bentms

1 mW
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find a topic that deals directly with it.

I'm trying to compile a list of full suspension bikes that are easily compatible with the BBSHD

Many bikes have the correct BB type or can be adapted to BSA using the correct adaptor however there seems to be quite a lot of bikes who's external BB shell is too thick for the Bafang to be installed.

I was hoping we could compile a list of full suss bikes that are known to convert easily.

If you can leave the specifics of the model, which year, which model version etc, that would be a fantastic resource for those of us currently trawling through eBay asking people to measure the diameter of there external BB shell and getting very little response ;)

Thanks for all your help

And again sorry if this info is already out there.

BenTMS

UPDATED 22/06/2016

Ok I'm starting to compile the list of bikes mentioned in this thread so that you don't have to trawl through the whole thread. Please don't forget to post the year your bike was manufactured as similar models from different years vary drastically. Also please let us know what type of bike it is for quick easy reference e.g if it is full suss/hardtail/road etc

Bikes Confirmed to work with BBSHD/BBS02

FULL SUSPENSION

20?? NS Bikes Soda Air Evo (BBSHD/Full Suss)
2009 Giant Trance X3 (BBS02/Full Suss)
2010 Giant Anthem X4 (BBSHD/Full Suss)
2006 Specialized Epic Comp (BBSHD/Full Suss)
2009 Ellsworth Truth (BBSHD/Full Suss)

HARDTAIL

2016 DiamondBack Overdrive Sport 27.5 (BBSHD/Hardtail)
20?? Trek Marlin 6 (BBSHD/Hardtail)
2006 Rocky mountain element 50 (BBSHD/Hardtail)

FATBIKE

2015 Motobecane Boris the Evil Brut Spung (BBSHD/Fatbike)
2016 Motobecane FB5 2.0
https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/11/11/phat-phuk-fb-5-2-0-snowshoe-2xl-diy-bbshd-1000w-10-speed-ebike-51lbs-1850-w-out-battery/
2016 Gravity Deadeye Monster ($400, Bikes Direct)
http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/customer-gallery/2487-gravity-dead-eye-monster-bbshd

STREET

Electra Townie
Trek Pure
KHS Manhattan Smoothie
Firmstrong CA-520

Hi all,

i'm still waiting for that kind of list. Last year i bought a brand new Giant Anthem 27.5 2, to convert it with a bafang bbshd. I have not done my homework very well (shame on me :( ). I realised the bike have a bb width of 89.5 or 90mm (pressfit), inside diameter larger than 33.6mm (42mm if i remember) and the curved down tube lower ensures that the motor pointing downwards (it means less ground clearance) . So sadly i sold my mostly new Giant yesterday, lost money (the value of a bbshd kit!) and i'm starting again to find double suspension bike that have stock BB 68mm. Why double suspension bike? i have a another electric bike with only front suspension. I broke the rear wheel rim 2 times. When you drive around 48-50km/h, it's hard to see all holes on pavement and a hit at this speed, your wheel rim is damaged.

It's look like newer bike are not compatible with bafang mid drive due to the bb specifications, and also not negligeable, curved downtube that lower the ground clearance.

So, someone have converted double suspension bike with a standard bottom bracket and a mid drive bafang?

Jerome

You're correct in that the 68mm bottom bracket width is mostly obsolete on new bikes (except maybe Bikes Direct). However, I'm pretty sure the new BBSHD works with 68 or 73 mm BB's.

I have Giant Trance X3 2009 M size and is perfect for BBS02. It has 68mm BB. I could even put dolphin 11,8 AH battery in triangle. Super satisfied :)

I think this is a valid post, but will be disjointed without someone to put work into it. Of course, since this is your thread, I would be inclined to nominate you, bentms!

What I would suggest is taking the responses that are given throughout the post, and aggregate those to a list on your original post that you edit as new posts come in. That's the only way, unless people were to utilize the wiki to have a centralized location. Otherwise, future readers are going to have to read through a list of potentially hundreds of frames and then find one that works for them.

What we can have, easily, is a list of things to look out for on a frame when planning a BBSx build, requiring the reader to know something about the frame itself beyond the fact that someone else said it was BBSx compatible (a good thing, IMO)

Here's a lame start:

BBS01 or BBS02, need 68mm Bottom Bracket (BB)
BBSHD, can be had in flavors up to 100mm Bottom Bracket (BB).

cal3thousand said:

6 flavours up to 120mm (68, 73, 92 100, 110, 120).
BB type should be BSA/JIS - BB30 will work with an adaptor as will PF30

A list of compatible bike models and their manufacture year would be nice.

Question about 73mm BB width on a bike: Does bafang BBSHD have a model 68mm that fit on a 73mm bb or there is a specific bafang BBSHD (73mm) for a BB of 73mm?

Jerome

djeg72 said:
Question about 73mm BB width on a bike: Does bafang BBSHD have a model 68mm that fit on a 73mm bb or there is a specific bafang BBSHD (73mm) for a BB of 73mm?

Jerome

There's a 73mm version. The 68mm will fit but you have to leave the left side lock nut off the BB. The 73mm version fits both left side nuts.

AFAIK, Lunacycle does the 73mm specific version - you need to say that you need the 73mm version in the comments on ordering the 68-73mm version.

Or we could just to go Bafangs website... which lists BB sizing:

BBSHD http://www.szbaf.com/en/components/component/motor/mm-g321000.html
BBS02 http://www.szbaf.com/en/components/component/motor/mm-g32750.html

Interesting.. BBS01 is no longer listed. In any case, the 68mm (or 73mm skipping outer lockring) limitation is from the old version or Gen 1 of BBSX units. The current generation, or Gen 2, has far more variants as listed on their website. A detailed explaination of installation old version is here: https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/EBike_Motors_Middrive I've yet to be bothered updating it for programming and Gen 2 updates.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great responses, just to let you know I'm not ignoring this thread, my wife's just given birth 24 hours ago to a 10 week premature baby so I'm pretty preoccupied right now.

Will get back to this once he's out of intensive care.

Keep your fingers crossed for him

And keep the great suggestions coming

BenTMS

2old said:
You're correct in that the 68mm bottom bracket width is mostly obsolete on new bikes (except maybe Bikes Direct). However, I'm pretty sure the new BBSHD works with 68 or 73 mm BB's.

Every single new bike my shop keeps in stock has a 68mm threaded BB. They're around, and they're going to stay around, unlike most of today's soon-to-be-orphaned, nonstandard "standards". But we specialize in bikes for regular transportation, not goofy fashion/consumer bikes. There's good news if you like here-today, gone-tomorrow parts that require proprietary tools. We can expect more needless unsupported standards every new product cycle.

Ask someone who owns a 1990 Merlin or Gary Fisher how much fun it is to deal with their press fit BB.

The most amusing thing about all the new press fit BBs is that we've had a massively oversized press fit BB all along, but the industry has gone out of its way to ignore it: the American/one-piece crank BB. It's been common for as long as anybody can remember, and it works. But the industry isn't interested in what works; it wants something new and incompatible so you'll get a new bike to have it, and pay extra for the same function you had before.

Chalo said:
2old said:

Every single new bike my shop keeps in stock has a 68mm threaded BB. They're around, and they're going to stay around, unlike most of today's soon-to-be-orphaned, nonstandard "standards". But we specialize in bikes for regular transportation, not goofy fashion/consumer bikes. There's good news if you like here-today, gone-tomorrow parts that require proprietary tools. We can expect more needless unsupported standards every new product cycle.

Ask someone who owns a 1990 Merlin or Gary Fisher how much fun it is to deal with their press fit BB.

The most amusing thing about all the new press fit BBs is that we've had a massively oversized press fit BB all along, but the industry has gone out of its way to ignore it: the American/one-piece crank BB. It's been common for as long as anybody can remember, and it works. But the industry isn't interested in what works; it wants something new and incompatible so you'll get a new bike to have it, and pay extra for the same function you had before.

Does anyone actually buy a bike because it's got a specific BB - besides us electric motor nuts, that is? More often than not, trying to find out what BB a bike has is job in itself.

I went with the bb386evo on my new road frame. For that application it looked to me to be the best of all of the new types. Can fit standard cranks as well as the 386 cranks can fit bsa 68 mm shell bikes with adapters, so I can swap components if I need to. The 86 mm wide shell is light and killer stiff as is the 30 mm diameter crank axle. Only a few high end makers have adapted it so far but more are coming to grips with it's advantages daily. No idea yet if it could adapt something like a bbs.

There are engineering advantages to some of these silly new BBs. But no subtle advantage is worth a hill of beans when your replacement parts go out of production.

Anyway, the American BB shell outperforms every other press fit standard in terms of what you can fit into it, and it's been with us for more than a lifetime. So of course they don't even consider it. Gotta have something new (that you won't find for love or money in 15 years).

Ade said:
cal3thousand said:

6 flavours up to 120mm (68, 73, 92 100, 110, 120).
BB type should be BSA/JIS - BB30 will work with an adaptor as will PF30

A list of compatible bike models and their manufacture year would be nice.

Seems like I was wrong about this according to Luna - there is no 73mm specific version just a 68-73mm.

Ok so in an attempt to politely nudge this thread slightly back on topic.....

I've seen Lectric Cycles use a giant anthem as a doner bike for their conversions. Can anybody confirm whether they've been heavily modified and/or what year/specific model they use. Djeg72 says above that his 2015 Giant anthem 27.5 2 didn't convert well so it would be great to know which variants will work.

Thanks guys

BenTMS

Ade said:
Seems like I was wrong about this according to Luna - there is no 73mm specific version just a 68-73mm.

That is what Luna says, but Bafang's site says different, and I know from personal experience that the "68-73mm" motor that they sell cannot be directly installed onto a 68mm bottom bracket. I think the difference is in the bolt mounts for the motor mounting plate - the 73mm motors are cast 5mm fatter. I have a new Motobecane 529HT, which has a 68mm BB - the motor can't be installed at all without shimming the motor shaft the full 5mm on the drive side due to the geometry of the motor mounting plate. Unfortunately, the motor shaft and spindle is ideally centered for 68mm, but offset to the drive side with a 73mm bracket. The required shimming for 68mm creates twice the offset that the 73mm has, so it is worst of all worlds.

Also, the motor shaft doesn't fit through my 529HT bottom bracket - it's pretty close, so I might try sanding down the motor shaft a bit - it'll probably go without a whole lot of work, but i have to decide if I want to hack up the machine, or I just pack the whole thing up and send it back. I'm on the fence. If I wanted this kind of project, I would've bought a Cyclone.

I installed a Luna BBSHD for a customer onto an aluminum hybrid with 68mm shell and had no problem whatsoever. Are you offsetting the unit to use a big ring on a bike that lacks room for one?

Chalo said:
I installed a Luna BBSHD for a customer onto an aluminum hybrid with 68mm shell and had no problem whatsoever. Are you offsetting the unit to use a big ring on a bike that lacks room for one?

Hi, so if your shop only stocks 68mm BB bikes, can you recommend some full suspension bikes that you think will work fine with the BBS02 and HD? Also, where is your shop and can you post a link to your website?

My shop doesn't stock any bikes with front suspension, let alone dual suspension. So I can't make any informed recommendations in that regard.

I like Kona suspension bikes, but I've never owned one.

Back