BMX left hand drive

fitek

1 kW
I have a brushless RC motor which I setup for no.25 drive on a scooter, but the first time I took it out, I broke the fork.

I also happen to have a no.25 sprocket which I machined onto a 16t freewheel many years ago (I made it not freewheel anymore).

I noticed my 24" bmx bike has threads on both sides. I'm assuming that's for flipping the wheel around, not a left hand ebike drive :)

Is there some way to thread that sprocket on the left hand of the rear wheel and get it to stay?

metal re-enforced epoxy...
look at dp-460
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdp-460.TRS0&_nkw=dp-460&_sacat=0

This looks like a one way solution?

you could blow torch it off.... :twisted:

but its a option for gluing on an adapter on threads that are not favorable to left side drive.

fitek said:
I noticed my 24" bmx bike has threads on both sides. I'm assuming that's for flipping the wheel around, not a left hand ebike drive :)
Have you actually checked that both sides have R.H. threads? Dual drive BMX hubs (RH drive plus LH drive) used to be available: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9342&start=70

The most common double threaded BMX hubs are those with 1.37"-24 RH threads on one side and M30x1 RH threads on the other. There were a scarce few in the mid-1990s that had RH and LH threads in the same size, and you can still find 16 tooth LH freewheels for them.

Some Currie e-bikes had RH/LH threaded hubs, and last I checked there was an EV parts seller still offering them. They're not very nice quality, but equivalent to what you'd find on a cheap 21 speed MTB with a freewheel. They are rebuildable and can easily be respaced to 110mm for your BMX bike.

Staton-inc.com has nicely made but poorly designed RH/LH hubs that can't easily be respaced. I mention them in case you're handy enough to consider making a different axle, because their axle is both the wrong width for your bike and flawed by design.

All these options presume that you can buy or make a LH threaded sprocket for your bike. But there is another option that doesn't.

If you get a fixed/free track bike hub (normal freewheel thread on one side, fixed gear thread with LH threaded lockring on the other, common these days), then you can attach a track sprocket or any other comparable thickness RH threaded item and lock it in place with a track lockring.

Back in the day, I made a big 144t #25 chain sprocket that clamped onto a 16t LH freewheel with an 8-bolt pattern that meshed between the teeth. That was the left side motor drive for my own first e-bike.

Those DK Dual Drive hubs were the ultimate. M30x1 RH and LH threads, plus 1.37"-24 RH and LH collars that threaded on over the metric threads. You could use any available single freewheel on the same hub. I wish I'd had the foresight to buy some while they were around. (But I always wondered whether the threaded collar would stay with the hub or the freewheel when you took off the freewheel.)

I did bag a couple of Specialized RH/LH hubs that were drilled for 36 spokes-- very convenient, given that most BMX hubs in those days were 48 hole.

The DK hub guards weigh almost half as much as the hub itself.. :)

FWIW, the Grubee hub still seems to be available: http://www.pistonbikes.com/product-p/gruhdak.htm That's 135mm O.L.D.

Those older ones being highly adaptable sound awesome, but I can't think for much need of all that, and what about the cost vs (example) $30 shipped joytech 32-36h?

If you get a fixed/free track bike hub (normal freewheel thread on one side, fixed gear thread with LH threaded locket on the other, common these days), then you can attach a track sprocket or any other comparable thickness RH threaded item and lock it in place with a track lockring.

[strike]If you have to lock the left side in place with lockring, doesn't that mean it's LH thread?[/strike]
Never mind :D I was confused- my fixie has matching RH 1.37x24 thread on each side, and the fixie portion is smaller LH thread for the 'fixie' nut.

I would have preferred a disc flange on left, but the bearing/race dimensions and 1.37x24 on rightside were key.
Good hub and flange. It's what I designed my dual FW adapter with 3rd bearing around. ~30$
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOYTECH-32-36H-Fixed-Gear-Rear-Flip-Flop-Hub-for-Fixie-Track-Single-Speed-Bike-/161218916127?var=&hash=item2589656f1f:m:mYbzTqaGNqnUfx1fmfCVjwg

I know there is a temptation to try and find some holy grail "silver bullet" solution, but...consider spending an extra $100 to add a jackshaft to the middle of the drive, and that opens up a whole new world of options.

Right-side primary reduction, then a left-side chain to the rear wheel, freewheel somewhere on the jackshaft. Just a thought...

Yes I'm thinking I should leave this wheel alone. The bike is a Haro Pro 24 in excellent condition https://www.harobikes.com/race/bikes/2015-race/pro-24-2015
Too nice to hack up.

I was going to put my RC motor on a Downtube folder (I even had mated a no.35 sprocket to the 8 spd Sturmey Archer wheel) but I left the bike up in PDX when I was there for a bit last year, though I still have the wheel since the massive go kart sprocket didn't fit in the bag I checked in for the flight (I hastily threw on a coaster brake steelie which disintegrated going up a hill on day 1, sheesh).

I found a 20" bmx frame by the side of the road but it's missing quite a few pieces, rear wheel included, however the Sturmey Archer is too wide for the drop outs. Since the bike was free and is in fair condition, I'm thinking I use a torch and bend those chainstays so it fits.

A mid drive would be cool, but I remember it being kinda complicated when that approach was being pioneered here years ago w/ RC motors (which is about when I checked out of making ebikes).

If you run a jackshaft, it is typically for extra reduction and/or to combine crank and motor power into one chain going to wheel, right?

Besides added weight/complexity/cost/upkeep, neither of those things appeal to me as you lose benefits of parallel like redundancy and I would assume all pedal gears.

If I got the facts strate, maybe it would be more appealing with higher power than a hub or motor FW can handle, and/or for a high kv motor, and/or for no pedals or one pedal gear.

(i guess you coouuld use a roloff or front deraileur to get some bike gears w/ jackshafts? Tho that wouldn't appeal to me either because of either high cost or space.)

Originally I had wanted to build an RC powered bike that didn't need two stage reduction. I figured I could get close by using go kart sprockets and a small wheel.

The first scooter had a very small wheel... Like six inches. The reduction wasn't much but you don't need much with a wheel that size. It was a torque monster with a top speed limited by the controller shutting down at high current. Top speed was probably 10mph. It was next to impossible to ride though because unless you had a very light touch it would buck you off.

So I adapted it for a scooter with something like a 12 inch wheel. Unfortunately I tried to bunny hop it after about ten seconds and the fork broke when I landed.

I was able to muscle the sturmey archer wheel into the drop outs but the axle is way too small. I think I'm best off retrieving my down tube frame from Portland. Unfortunately that won't be till July.

Back