What does your bike weigh and what is your overall setup?

recumpence

1 GW
On Earth right now. That can change at any time, t
Hey Guys,

I have been messing around with 3 of my bikes lately comparing weight between them and handling quality and I wanted to get your perspective. I have built bikes as high as 147 pounds (my twin motor, 3kwh Motoped) and as low as 54 pounds (my current Mountaincycle San-Andreas). So, that got me wondering what most high-end E-bikes weigh. Again, my current bike is 54 pounds 8 ounces with 12S, 16ah pack.

So, what is your basic layout and your all-up-weight with battery?

Matt

My Tangent driven bike is 47lbs with another 3.5lbs of batteries carried in my backpack (5ah 12s).

Sorry I couldn't help.

Some info:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=bike+weigh*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

My bike is 50.1 lbs with a 10.2 lbs 771 wh (12s 16ah multistar) battery mounted to the bike and 750 (1300w peak) bbs02. I started with a 25lb FS CX bike. I have a 10ah battery pack that is 6.6 lbs I can swap in too which would be 46.5lbs.

For comparison Trek powerfly+ FS is 400wh 250w 46.2lbs (20.9kg)

My Tangent build is 48 lbs with a 20ah triangle battery mounted in the frame. I saved weight where I could but went with slightly beefier wheels and tires.

Re: What does your bike weigh and what is your overall setup
Unread postby FastJohnny » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:32 am

My Tangent build is 48 lbs with a 20ah triangle battery mounted in the frame

That seems very light ! is that the Small 3210 motor ?

Also what was the weight of the bike before u put the kit on ? hence what is the weight of the Tangent kit and battery weight separately ?

The bike was 30 lbs, but I added slightly heavier wheels and bars. Tangent kit weighs 7 lbs, and the battery is around 9 I believe.

The "E-Zilla" is a porker, and I haven't realized it's potential yet (not seen a peak over 1500w), but for what I designed it to do (look nice while pulling a trailer for 20 - 30 miles at a time) so far it has worked wonderfully.

I just used a bathroom digital scale, so not sure how accurate it is, but it comes to 114 lbs.

IMG_0039_zpsyf3pxlqk.jpg

(14s 2p Nanotech 90c Lipo 12 AH, Cro Motor Mid-Drive)

This should come in handy when I am able to start pushing that motor harder at a drag strip (144V with dual 40A controllers) mounted as hub motor on my purpose built custom 24" BMX "cruiser" as a drag racer and just get another MXUS 3000W for E-Zilla, and use the Cro for the drag bike.

Not sure if my set-up qualifies for your question, my power to weight ratio is abysmal compared to what you guys do with Astros, but I do get lots of torque for pulling a heavy load up a steep hill (my main requirement).

Can't wait to get my new 72V battery from Luna, getting old having to strip down the battery packs to charge the LiPo. :roll: :)

50lb with my lock and stuff. 48v 5Ah and a Bafang CST.

A low end starter MTB is 30lb and a 48v 11ah dolphin with built in controller is 20lb so stick a 10lb CST on and you can get 60lb easily.
You can save 5lb on bike weight and still be the the budget category. Take away the stock axle and bearings weight you removed. Then switch to a bit less battery capacity using lighter chemistry, and there's my 50lb bike.

I get my bikes up on the back wheel and use bathroom scales.

31 kg/69 lbs with 20S/11.6Ah (900 Wh) 47/53 % front/rear

(23 kg/51 lbs w/o batteries)

Setup is dual suspension freeride mtb, no pedals, C80100 motor and some transmission (reduction box, #219 chain), footrest and fenders to weigh it down a bit.

snapshot2.png

Bike is an old but good condition Sterling 15 City Sport mountain style bike, changed to 6 speed freewheel.

Front Hub motor is Aotema brushless direct drive, controller is Aotema.

Battery is 36v 3s 1p, made of 12v 12Ah gel cells. Battery weight including light weight bag is 25.6 lb.

Total weight is 73.4 lb, without locking stuff.

I carry two locking rigs, the more secure one is a Security Maxx, 3.5', 10mm chain and Abus 34/55 lock. The less secure is a 7', 10mm cable and American 1305 aluminum body lock. Total weight of both lock rigs is 8.8 lb. Sometimes the chain is not long enough, thus the cable.

Total bike weight with both security rigs is 82.2 lb. When riding, the bike does not feel that heavy.

I'm only happy with sufficient power for the given load, and I find that weight placement is drastically more important to the feel of a bike than the weight itself.

eg My first iteration of HubMonster in-wheel on my SuperV came in at 132lbs, but it felt light as a feather while riding. That's because I had 10ah at 74V just behind the BB and 40+lb of motor, rim, and tire in the rear wheel, with 9ah at 74V mounted on the fork in front of the head tube. Without the front batt, it was actually unnaturally light feeling with all that power. Since it was for street use only the in-wheel weight was totally irrelevant on smooth pavement.

The other end of the spectrum is my friend's ebike. His ebike comes in at just under 100lbs, heavy by ebike standards, but his lack of understanding and respect for batteries necessitated a 12p20s pack of Konions with a heavy steel box to house it, which is mounted along the top tube. The 20lb hubbie is running as a mid-drive just behind and above the BB in a mid-drive mounted on the swingarm. It's great on the bumps due to low effective unsprung weight, but the high mounting of battery and housing weight makes it feel like a motorcycle on bicycle tires. He loves it, but totally unacceptable to me.

My son's ebike comes in at about 80lbs. 25lbs of that is in the rear wheel with hubmotor, so no effect on handlings, and the bike itself is a very low weight small steel dual suspension frame. The problem comes into play with 400 Konion 18650's duct taped to the top and down tubes. It may be less than 30lbs with all those cells, tape and mounting hardware, but even with the short wheelbase, 20" wheels, and often considered prime battery mounting location, that bike feel like I'm riding a heavy little pig.

To me the biggest surprise was how little the fork mounted battery pack affected handling. Turning the handlebars felt nearly as light as without the battery, and the weight of the battery and 5lbs of mount was really only noticeable when throwing the front end from side to side.

My mid drive yuba turn key e-bike weighs more than 175 pounds for now. Well that's what you get with steel frame & 90 pounds of lithium batteries. I have high voltage 12v converter, & basket. Horn, lights, etc. Not to mention a large cargo box that goes on back rack. Love it,& when I'm done modifying it I may be right under 200 pound! It very well balanced on reinforced platforms, and rides like a dream.

I hadn't actually weighed CrazyBike2 in a long while, so last night while I had to get stuff out to air up the back tire a bit, I put it on the scale one wheel at a time (not the most accurate way, so not sure how close this is to reality).

file.php

Front wheel shows 80lbs, and rear shows 180lbs. That's with all the stuff in it I carry normally for work, including about 10lbs of icepacks, lunch bag, drink bottle, etc., plus another severarl pounds of work clothes and whatnot. There are also about 20lbs of tools, couple pounds of air compressor & spare tubes. So the "optional" weight takes perhaps 35-40lbs off of that.

Still leaves (assuming simple addition of rear+front, which is probably not the case) 220lbs of bike. Before I added all the frame stiffening in the rear (basically building a new rear end fo rit) a couple years or more ago, I had guesstimated around 170lbs; I know there isn't 50lbbs of stuff in the frame, so I must've mis--esitmated the weigght of the motor/etc.

Front to rear:
--9c 2806 in 26" rim (from a bionx), CST City tire & thick tube with second (circumferentially slit) tube ovver it for a liner.
--Suntour XCT fork w/mounts on steerer for car headlight and MC turn signals and car horns
--custom built semirecumbent frame for bike itself (unknown weight--not light, but very sturdy), LED downlighting / frame lighting ffor nightime visivbility, mounted along frame and remote steering rod.
--Sugino alloy cranks w/steel triple chainring, steel derailer, steel pedals.
--THUN BB (not presently working as CAv3 blew up from short from speedo to Batt+ in CA-standalone-shunt wire harness at the shunt, IIRC)
--Cruiser bars mounted vertically, coroplast "dash" with CAv2/etc., MC mirrors, thumb throttle on each side for independent motor control, etc
--spare 6fet Grinfineon
--50cal ammocan with 14s EIG NMC 20Ah pack (~20+lbs)
--12fet Grinfineon 40A for front wheel
--~1 cubic foot aluminum cargo pod on left side under seat, spot for spare 50cal ammocan pack on right side under seat (not normally mounted)
--15v wallwart for DC-DC to run "12v" lighting system.
--4s EIG 20ah pack for headlight (overloads any DC-DC I've tried) and car horns
--semirecumbent seat and overhead canopy for shade on midday commute
--12FET ecrazyman (I think) 40A for rear wheel
--HSR3548 in 20" ex-Zero rim w/sapim 13/14 radial spokes, Maxxiss ringworm and thick tube w/circumferentially-slit tube as liner
--MC taillight/turn signals, car led 3rd brake light, LED rods on pods outer rear edges, aquarium LED ligth as downlighting on pods and back of bike and road
--~4-cubic-foot aluminum cargo pods on either side, double as kickstands.
--1-7/8" ball hitch for trailers on frame behind pods/rear wheel

I guess there is a lot of stuff on there.....

33.4kg
22s6p battery for 1400 watthours
7kw
Wheelstands.

Samd said:
33.4kg
22s6p battery for 1400 watthours
7kw
Wheelstands.

I guess that weight is without battery :?:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
28kg (61lbs) including battery, the "small" saddle bag with 222Wh (3x 5s 4000mah 1.8kg) for a short commute.
Average 20wh/km always pedaling.
Extended range battery 750Wh being build at the moment.
20160426_085942.jpg

No with 22s6p. Each cell is 48 grams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

file.php

30 pounds as pictured but it is strictly for short range errands.
A trip to the PO and Grocery all but exhausts the 6.5 Ahr battery.
CF Frame, skinny rims and tires, 350 watt geared hub, 36V x 6.5 Ahr Battery.
Probably a tad heavier now as I removed the pump and added a padded seat.

Ok, to be more accurate here is a pic. My turn key commercial looking ebike handles great with all the battery weight is low and balanced out. I can flick it hard in the turns. Yuba mundo frame is 48 pounds(21.8kg). Side loader have a weld support brace underneth to hold 90 pounds (40.9kg) of 18650b panasonic batteries. 103.6v 68ah= 7kwh! Thorn proof tube & 26" maxxis 2.5" wide tires. All accessories that add weight including two front brakes, left side chain, mid drive motor mount, 6 aluminum composite plate battery holders with bolts. So well in excess of 200 pounds!(90.9kg). Get less than 25wh/mile if i stay under 30mph and peddle. I'll get it weighed very soon, but not to mention added weight of my aluminum cargo box at 30 pounds(13.6kg) & less than 40 pounds(18.2kg) of spray paint, and a 20+ pound(kg) tool box, a pop up safety cone, etc. So thats a heavy rig at more than 290 pounds(131.8kg), & still seems to handle fairly good while its moving!
20160820_110007_1.jpg

IMG_20160615_175300.jpg

Back