Sinewave controller for Cyclone 3KW recommendation?

bchampig

1 W
Can anyone recommend a good sinewave controller for the Cyclone 3kw kit. I will be running 48v at 40A max. I just want something that is known to work well. I expect to change most if not all of the connectors.

thanks!
Brian

I definitely like the compact Phaserunner, but I haven't hear of any reports of someone using it successfully withe the Cyclone. If anyone has used this combo, I would love to hear about it.

regards,
Brian

Has anyone tried this? I know it hasn't been very long, but I would be interested in hearing more about it myself.

Thanks!

bchampig said:
I definitely like the compact Phaserunner, but I haven't hear of any reports of someone using it successfully withe the Cyclone. If anyone has used this combo, I would love to hear about it.

regards,
Brian

EvolutionGTS has done it.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69867&start=1825#p1255968

bchampig said:

regards,
Brian

and iam pretty sure, if you had problems, justin will help you till it worked.

bcchampig,

I just want something that is known to work well.

You already have it -- the stock OEM Luna Cyclone controller is quite robust at 48v. This is known by me.

I have bought 2 new Sabvotan Sinwave Controllers from LA Ebikes, owner Alan Evolutiongts, that do not work very well, if at all. Now I have ask Alan Evolutiongts about some of its problems -- code 43 error, test fail 4, test fail 3, how many magnet poles, what is the Hall angle etc, etc, only to get his reply, I am not try to ignore you, just been very busy running the business , followed by some reply of fact? that is not close to an answer to my question. Ah, so much for customer service? Thanks Alan, your assistance has been marvelous!

It appears the Sabvoton does not have some essential safety fault detection systems such as give no motor power when a high throttle is detected at start as a throttle wire [1of 3] pulled out from the JST SM plug and this lead to engaging full power on the suspended wheel making it race until -- it quit -- dead...
My Hall angle Test of: TEST OK was prior to this wire pulling out.

From the Sabvotan Manual:
(It may break the circuit inside the controller if one twists the throttle too rush before the hall angle is matched) In my case the Hall Angle Test had passed before the wire pulled from the SM plug. At any rate the manual suggests no fault proofing going on with this design when encountering a high throttle?

I have also tried to reach the person who put their name at the bottom of the Sabvoton software manual [Chen Kathy <kathy@sabvoton.com>] with no avail. So maybe $600+ of junk to the alumidumb recycle bin?

But get this: After all the Sabvoton nightmares I plug & play the good old Cyclone OEM controller at 72v and ride away into the sunset knowing you are fools for thinking a Sinewave controller can play much of a part in reducing the supposed C-3000 noise when most of the noise comes from the chains, chain rings and planetary gears. Maybe a reread of the Emperor's New Clothes would be fitting for those of you without a sound decibel meter to measure progress?

Kelly Controllers -- I have 2 -- good customer service - ordering is kind of a la carte shopping at more $$ per simple feature increment. And you "must" have the precharge circuit!

Apparently the motor area noise that comes from a square wave controller does not contribute much to the overall c-3000 loudiness -- I have posted such a confirmation test using a decibel sound meter in the thread: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit? The Sabvoton Sinewave controller can reduce the thinkness of your wallet.

DingusMcGee said:
bcchampig,

I just want something that is known to work well.

You already have it -- the stock OEM Luna Cyclone controller is quite robust at 48v. This is known by me.

I have bought 2 new Sabvotan Sinwave Controllers from LA Ebikes, owner Alan Evolutiongts, that do not work very well, if at all. Now I have ask Alan Evolutiongts about some of its problems -- code 43 error, test fail 4, test fail 3, how many magnet poles, what is the Hall angle etc, etc, only to get his reply, I am not try to ignore you, just been very busy running the business , followed by some reply of fact? that is not close to an answer to my question. Ah, so much for customer service? Thanks Alan, your assistance has been marvelous!

It appears the Sabvoton does not have some essential safety fault detection systems such as give no motor power when a high throttle is detected at start as a throttle wire [1of 3] pulled out from the JST SM plug and this lead to engaging full power on the suspended wheel making it race until -- it quit -- dead...
My Hall angle Test of: TEST OK was prior to this wire pulling out.

From the Sabvotan Manual:
(It may break the circuit inside the controller if one twists the throttle too rush before the hall angle is matched) In my case the Hall Angle Test had passed before the wire pulled from the SM plug. At any rate the manual suggests no fault proofing going on with this design when encountering a high throttle?

I have also tried to reach the person who put their name at the bottom of the Sabvoton software manual [Chen Kathy <kathy@sabvoton.com>] with no avail. So maybe $600+ of junk to the alumidumb recycle bin?

But get this: After all the Sabvoton nightmares I plug & play the good old Cyclone OEM controller at 72v and ride away into the sunset knowing you are fools for thinking a Sinewave controller can play much of a part in reducing the supposed C-3000 noise when most of the noise comes from the chains, chain rings and planetary gears. Maybe a reread of the Emperor's New Clothes would be fitting for those of you without a sound decibel meter to measure progress?

Kelly Controllers -- I have 2 -- good customer service - ordering is kind of a la carte shopping at more $$ per simple feature increment. And you "must" have the precharge circuit!

Apparently the motor area noise that comes from a square wave controller does not contribute much to the overall c-3000 loudiness -- I have posted such a confirmation test using a decibel sound meter in the thread: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit? The Sabvoton Sinewave controller can reduce the thinkness of your wallet.

DingusMcGee,

Thanks for the reply! This is kinda what I was wondering about the PSW controllers. My interest was mostly related to the smoother power and extra options available for customization. I am still pretty new to the electric sector and my understanding of PSW vs PWM is still somewhat basic. I was also looking for the more "gentle" treatment of the coils within the motor given by the slower increase and decrease in power being applied. My question came immediately after the failure of the hall effect sensors in my Cyclone caused by either overloading or perhaps an issue with the design of the stock controller. I have since received a new motor and am looking into a new bike that can actually handle the power available from the Cyclone in a reliable manner without overloading it.

My stock Cyclone controller had some issue, after maybe 500 miles it only put out 33A max.

I upgraded to the 12fet Infineon and it seems quieter than stock even though it's not a sine wave: http://em3ev.com/product/12-fet-irfb4110-infineon-sensored-controller/

But I love being able to program the amp limits, I set it to 50A and kept the phase amps only 2x to keep the torque under control on starts and it's just perfect!

Back