More Newbie Questions

automan25

100 mW
I'm strongly considering purchasing the Luna BBSHD kit for my bike and I've got a few questions before diving in.

1. Can I reuse the crank arms that are currently on my bike, or do I have to use the ones supplied with the kit?
2. From what I've read, there is general disdain for the heavy steel chainring that Bafang supplies with the kit. I noticed that Luna offers an aluminum one for an extra $40. I'm not sure if I should spend the extra money though. I would hate to purchase it only to find out the chain-line isn't correct. The bike is a Ghost Speedline 3 (https://www.rei.com/product/883669/ghost-speedline-3-bike-2016). This is not a fat bike or a mountain bike, but what I guess you'd call a commuter, so there is no wide swing-arm to account for. The dimensions are pretty average. What have the rest of you done?

automan25 said:
I'm strongly considering purchasing the Luna BBSHD kit for my bike and I've got a few questions before diving in.

1. Can I reuse the crank arms that are currently on my bike, or do I have to use the ones supplied with the kit?
2. From what I've read, there is general disdain for the heavy steel chainring that Bafang supplies with the kit. I noticed that Luna offers an aluminum one for an extra $40. I'm not sure if I should spend the extra money though. I would hate to purchase it only to find out the chain-line isn't correct. The bike is a Ghost Speedline 3 (https://www.rei.com/product/883669/ghost-speedline-3-bike-2016). This is not a fat bike or a mountain bike, but what I guess you'd call a commuter, so there is no wide swing-arm to account for. The dimensions are pretty average. What have the rest of you done?

1) As long as your cranks are square tapered, and they sweep out enough to clear the motor on the left side.
2) The extra $40 is worth it, but you would be fine to start with the stock one. I believe it is a 46T though. For big hills, that gearing might be a bit tall. But for flat commuting, it will be fast. There is a thread here somewhere with pictures of the relative chain offsets, I think the picture was copied from the Luna Cycles forum. After you try the stock chain ring, you can decide what direction you need to offset, if any.

Back