Quality of HXT motor

Hardcarve1

100 W
I pulled down my motor as I have read about problems with the outer case moving and the first thing I noticed was the grub screws were only finger tight. After pulling it apart I also noticed the windings were loose, is this OK or will vibration damage them or or rub the coating. How can these be sealed back to the main winindings.Electric Bicycle 002.JPG

Wow, I have never seen that before. I am not sure about it. Others will chime in and comment.

I have always been concerned about HXT quality, though. Cheaper is not always better. That being said, I have also seen some oddities with some higher quality motors as well (nothing that bad, though).

Matt

that should be a warranty recall. those windings should not be loose, you should rewind it yourself if they won't take it back. or find someone a little experienced with setting the windings in shellac, or do they keep shellac to a minimum in these motors because of the heat?

Mine has some spots like that too, but they were all rigid to the tough with the coating they paint them with. I just poked them down in tight with the other wires, and made sure to go over all the critical areas with high temp epoxy on a Q-tip.

I also found my magnets were only glued on the outside of the rim (the easier to reach area). So, I wiped up the back areas with alcohol, and loaded up a long thing tip bottle with loc-tite glue and fully glued the back area.

Cheap motors, cheap assembly. But fortunately, you can spend a little time and improve the problems. I replaced all the bearings, and made my own custom shafts from 4340.

Thicker coatings on windings is not really a good solution in a performance motor. Proper tensioned winding is a much better alternative than thicker coating, as the coating insulates and reduces the ability for the motor to sustain high loads.

On the bright side though, the laminations are very thin, making it a good core to re-wind however you like if you aren't pleased with the performance they come with from the factory. You can cut those windings off, buy yourself a spool of magnet wire and wrap your own in whatever way best suits your bikes battery voltage and power needs.

Back