motor controller mod - mosfet to IGBT

georgeycc

1 W
did a small experiment to mod my BLDC controller from using mosfets to IGBTs, the IGBT is priced at $2 and has 300V/90A rating. that's pretty impressive. the test result showed that the motor controller had slightly slower no-load speed and slightly smaller no-load current. i think that's due to some voltage drop across the collector and emitter. anyways they work pretty well and cool.

pictures in picasa, please someone teach me how to show pictures correctly here :oops: [update: thanks to miles, picture problam fixed]
[update: uploaded all pics to forum]

DSCF2029.JPG
DSCF2032.JPG
View attachment 1

bye bye mosfets!

DSCF2029.JPG

You also need to get the Image Location directly.

Right-Click the image and choose Copy Image Location, then Paste this into your post and apply the Img tags

This is what I got for the location of the above image:
http_://lh3.ggpht.com/_tq3dyVB4tAo/ScxzHTSN1jI/AAAAAAAADa4/bYB7HdHWRcE/s1024/DSCF2029.JPG (delete the first underscore, used to disable the link)

George,

Can you see your own linked images, here?

What does everyone else see?

I edited the first image link, in your post. Now I can see it.

I'm not sure why it works for me and not for you, yet :?

well, i can only see 2 of the 5 pictures, and those 2 pictures happen to be the last 2 pictures i opened in picasa. is it possible that picasa blocks picture linking like this?

I can see the pic in my post and the same image from the link that I edited in your post - that's all.....

Mystifying........

I'll ask the Admins if they can shed any light on this...

Picasa does not permit hotlinking.

Better to upload directly to the post.
DSCF2029.JPG

(If you have opened the image at the picasa site, the cookie will let you see an image inline, but new visitors will not see it.)

Help me to understand why FETs are used rather than IGBTs for controllers? Switching speed problems? For people running say, 70-100v, are there IGBT's in a TO220 package that would be a better part than say the IRF4110?

http://www.irf.com/technical-info/whitepaper/choosewisely.pdf

this document probably helps. note that this is kind of old comparison. in my personal perspective, it's easier to find parts and operational margin in IGBT than in MOSFET if the DC voltage is over 150V. Mosfets are still more efficient in sub-100V application b/c 1. gate charge is significantly smaller 2. less forward conduction loss

-george

That paper seems to think that for the 1-250v range, and for medium voltage very high speed switching, MOSFETs are the hot ticket.

What were the advantages you were seeking in your project to run IGBTs? Is it just a function of cost?

Back