How to find peak power + best final drive for HXT 80-100-B?

northernmike

10 kW
Hey guys.

So, having been 2.5kms or so on my HXT 80-100-B moped conversion geared probably way too high, I'm curious as to how I should calculate a proper gear.

Top end I will estimate at 50-55kph running 48V of marginal SLA.

From math I don't grasp, at 48V x 130rpm/V, I should be doing 70kph flat out. Approximately.

I'm coming to suspect that peak power is at 1/2 no load speed, something Miles posted on one of liveforphysics' threads.

If I'm looking for 50kph, should my gearing stay the same, or change?

Or am I even asking the right questions?

I love this stuff. :mrgreen:

Here's a pic 'cause I can't help myself.

DSC01097.jpg

Mike,

That's the calculation for the no load speed.

At the no load speed the torque output from the motor is zero.

The peak efficiency is around 85% of no load speed. That's the figure I use to work out gearing. That still doesn't necessarily mean that you'll have the torque to reach that speed, though.....

I make calculations like this: Measure stall torque, then take torque number from some ICE bike that I know acceleration and gearing , then calculate wheel torque /rpm on ICE bike and take 3/4 of value. From that number I calculate gearing and then use kV/V and V of batt to see where top speed migh be...
I'll say you need 70-80Nm on the wheel for normal acceleration.

Of course you can calculate all that numbers...

I'm using your same motor, except 2 of them. I'm running a 24" rear wheel. I use 8:1 gearing, and it seems to be a decent balance between top-speed and low-end torque. The controller has been the weak-link though. What are you running for a controller?

Luke I used a Castle HV 110 - til I put 54V to it mistakenly and blew it up.

I'm hesitant to try anything too demanding with it until I have the capacity to generate some metrics.

I do have an array of pulleys and sprockets to let me re-gear, though, and will probably end up fine tuning for an "off-the-line" biased ratio. This bike is going to be used in the city primarily - in traffic - and squirting through intersections and around trucks will be the priority.

What voltage @ 8/1 ?

42v with 8:1 on a 24" wheel seems to work pretty well for me, but again, it's two motors pulling together, so I guess for your situtation you would need 16:1 for the same off the line torque.

Back