RANS e-Bike Possible?

Mithion

10 W
http://www.backcountryrecumbentcycles.com/shop/rans-fusion/

Does the RANS crank-forward bike seem like a good candidate to be made into an e-bike?

I'm imagining a nuvinci in the rear with a mid-mount motor and batteries/controller etc in the frame area like HPC bikes do it.

I'm new to this so I'm not sure if this type of bike is a good candidate.

Mithion,

Foot forward bikes are great for electric assist. Long wheelbase, and lots of room for batteries. They are light on the frontend, so mid-motor, and battery actually improves front grip. RANS has had a new owner for several years. But their quality was always great, and I haven't heard of that changing.

There's some topics about other Rans bikes:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=RANS&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I'm not sure if you have ridden the bike, but generally this bike geometry is quite inefficient compared to bikes where the bottom bracket is at the same or almost the same height as the seat, or compared to a normal diamond frame mountain or road bike. So you will REALLY be needing the electric assist. From personal experience riding a Giant Revive semi-recumbent, and a Sun EZSport LWB.

chvidgov.bc.ca said:
I'm not sure if you have ridden the bike, but generally this bike geometry is quite inefficient compared to bikes where the bottom bracket is at the same or almost the same height as the seat, or compared to a normal diamond frame mountain or road bike. So you will REALLY be needing the electric assist. From personal experience riding a Giant Revive semi-recumbent, and a Sun EZSport LWB.

I agree with everything you said. However, I guarantee that any cruiser style, flat foot/foot forward bike will be more efficient than the Revive. I spent my final working years in bicycle shops. The Giant Revive was the absolute worst bike I ever assembled, and worked on. It was a motorless moped.

Do it..I have several recumbent bikes with bafang and tsdz motors..game changer on those slow wobbly ascents

Is this Your bike or do You plan on buying it?
I think 1750$ is incredibly expensive for a cruiser, especially such an ugly one. You can buy much nicer frames (Porucho, Tango, Basman, Dean etc. check Ruff Cycles) to build on or a fully assembled Felt (around 700-800$) or Electra.
Just check the cruiser forums and You will definitely find bikes more pleasing to the eye. Since You want a NuVinci money is obviously not an issue for You.
Efficiency is irrelevant when You ride electric. Anyway it is not really about speed, but about mobility.
Have fun.

ABSOLUTELY!
I just shipped my rans dynamick trail to Utah Trikes and they did the following:
Bafang bbshd 1000 watt mid drive
48v 17.5 amp hour battery
Nuvinci N380 hub
Heavy duty sram e-bike chain
Color display
E-brake levers
Thumb throttle
TRP spyre mechanical disc brakes
Schwalbe Big Ben plus tires
Luna cycles 42 tooth chainring as well as a blekkie bling ring for off roading in a thirty six tooth
I have already put over 500 miles on it and heres my impressions:
First off, the rans dynamick crank forward is 90% as comfortable as my Azub trike, rotovelo velomobile, rans stratus long wheelbase, tour easy and lightning F-40. That said, it is my mostly used as my hardcore mountain bike as it handles single track as well as a regular mountain bike. The super powerful and dead silent bafang blows away the BionX DV five hundred in my tour easy. The power is massive. It's tuned for the fifteen hundred watts of off road power which is so overkill that although I live in a very hilly mountainous area, I rarely need more than level 3 out of 9. In throttle only, on flat ground I hit 43mph and I weigh 249lbs. For this much power, the nuvinci 380 is a must. I had this motor on my Azub ti-fly and kept snapping the chain and shifting was rough, even with the gear sensor. On my Rans crank forward, I didn't use a gear sensor as it's not necessary because the chain never moves side to side. I used a chain tensioner. The Luna cycles chainring is literally a work of art and is mandatory with this motor. The teeth are huge (twice the length of standard teeth) and your chain will never fall off or snap. I have the thumb throttle but with the pedal assist I rarely use it. I fly up steep long hills at 22 mph. I've been averaging 70 miles from a charge in very hilly terrain. The stystem is nearly silent and is reliable and smooth running. Miles ahead if the BionX dv500, magic pie, falcon hub motor and my wife's Bosch mid drive, all of which I have owned and ridden thousands of miles on. In my opinion as a huge recumbent enthusiast since my second coast to coast tour in 93, this is the best setup I have ever had and I have had 47 recumbents including 25 trikes and five velomobiles including a greenspeed glyde, Bluevelo strada, velocity velos and my current Rotovelo. The Rotovelo is getting this same setup in the spring! I highly reccomend using the rans dynamick with the nuvinci rear hub with the bafang bbshd mid drive! I also have a rans zenetic road which is currently set up as my 19kb racing bike (Carbon crank, fork, seat pan Eric.) and am considering putting this setup on that for my dedicated road machine!

The mid system would be the best choice for weigh dispersal without a doubt. My recommendation would be to buy something built from the ground up as an ebike. The long story is, if you care to read, I put a rear hub system (Heinzmann) on two Fusion STs for my spouse and myself. Most comfortable touring bike ever. With the step through one didn't have to throw a leg over panniers. Great set up. One sits upright reducing strain on aging backs and joints with the bonus of good visibility for sight seeing. However, the drive unit, battery, and panniers really accentuated the tiller effect. My wife ended up crashing badly and swore off it as a touring bike. I stripped the electronics off of one and put it on a trainer, it's incredibly comfortable to watch a movie and peddle away. The other I still ride as an ebike, but I am an old under-seat steering recumbent rider; for me a little wobbliness just adds to it's charm. Since then my wife bought a Pegasus (German brand) ebike. It has a Bosch drive system and a Shimano hub. It's a typical diamond frame but it still sits you upright cutting down the pain inflicted from leaning over most diamond frame upwrongs. Simply brilliant touring bike. In spite of it's normal appearance I may buy one myself eventually. It's clean with none of the awkwardness of aftermarket - the battery is integrated into the frame for a seamless look. It is expensive, but not any worse than the build out you mention.

chvidgov.bc.ca said:
Bullroar...CF not only makes sense, it is efficient...l.had them all

Not many around; so spendy.

Rans makes both kinds and both work, unless you are starting on up-grade and are 40ish...not so fun.

Trick is pack size and placement...variable...

Nonormalbikes said:
The mid system would be the best choice for weigh dispersal without a doubt. My recommendation would be to buy something built from the ground up as an ebike. The long story is, if you care to read, I put a rear hub system (Heinzmann) on two Fusion STs for my spouse and myself. Most comfortable touring bike ever. With the step through one didn't have to throw a leg over panniers. Great set up. One sits upright reducing strain on aging backs and joints with the bonus of good visibility for sight seeing. However, the drive unit, battery, and panniers really accentuated the tiller effect. My wife ended up crashing badly and swore off it as a touring bike. I stripped the electronics off of one and put it on a trainer, it's incredibly comfortable to watch a movie and peddle away. The other I still ride as an ebike, but I am an old under-seat steering recumbent rider; for me a little wobbliness just adds to it's charm. Since then my wife bought a Pegasus (German brand) ebike. It has a Bosch drive system and a Shimano hub. It's a typical diamond frame but it still sits you upright cutting down the pain inflicted from leaning over most diamond frame upwrongs. Simply brilliant touring bike. In spite of it's normal appearance I may buy one myself eventually. It's clean with none of the awkwardness of aftermarket - the battery is integrated into the frame for a seamless look. It is expensive, but not any worse than the build out you mention.

Depends on usage...front wheel power, rack on back or under seat packs balance...on a light weight Rans, seems the creme d'creme. But not sure...Rans is light and tight frame with top end comps.

But, speed on a motored bike is best under 25,,,your arse will no like to hit pavement...

+1 selfie...if possible...Grin kit motor/controller, etc: front hub motor, with batteries on rack in back is balanced smoothie. The only thing wrong is rigs are spendy...but well made.

OP Mithion or recumbentrix, either of you do e Rans Dynamik?

I have Dynamik back I had lent t0 not too bright friend, and learned a lesson.

Got to be an easy conversion, if not spendy...and great street ride. But Citi or Fusion might be better. All spendy. Maybe too much to mess with?

I figure a Grin-set, hub, controller, DIY 10S4P pack (36V. or whatever. Set pack on back rack.
I have been thinking about doing or selling bike....already has rack, stand and Dart II fork. Likely go to Schwalbes.

You betcha. I put a Golden Motor front hub Magic pie 5 on a Rans mini cf. With a 36v 14 ah cheapo ebay battery . With my riding style I am getting great range depending on the terrain ,i can easily grt 30 miles. T20210405_075651.jpghe mini is a 20 inch wheel model and the gearing i have I spin out at about 20 mph. I ve put over 500 miles on this year .
I have several recumbents and the rans cf s are nearly as comfortable as a lwb recumbent.
Now if I could figure out how to post pictures.....

At one point I had only diamond frames...added gas Golden Eagle drives and a Honda or slick 2 cycle...then went to a Xootr folder with 36v, 10s3p drive...and then got a Rans Dynamik back that was given away...which am now planning to add 36v 10s4p pack and Grin hub and stuff to run...easy build.

Pack on Rack and off we go...for 30 miles or so. Did not know Rans made wee bike...but who cares really? Easy build; fine ride.

Back