Can someone here make a #25 pitch 80T CNC sprocket?

mud2005

10 kW
What I need: #25 pitch 80T sprocket that fits over a 14T freewheel w/ 7 holes to mount between teeth.

I'm trying a left side drive system so I need a big sprocket on the left.

First, I'm not even sure if aluminum is a good material for this or not considering the amount of torque and wear the sprocket will endure.
If not steel is ok, but I still need some machining done.
I've seen that most bmx chainwheels are 7075 aluminum these days with cool CNC cutouts to save weight and look good. I think a #25 pitch CNC aluminum sprocket would look tons better than a cheap steel sprocket on the back wheel, but I'm wondering if its possible(practical?) to get one or more made and how much it would cost. :?:
anyone here make sprockets or know where to get one made?

TNCscooters has one for $10
103250.gif

http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=103250
,but it has a 4-hole pattern and is intended to be compatible with the freewheel they sell.
http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=103210

Thanks, but I actually have one of these from my first build and the bore is over 2 inches which is too large and the bolt pattern isnt any good for a 14T freewheel.
My rear hub has the smaller metric threads as opposed to the 1.37x24tpi english threads.
I looked into getting a 16T freewheel for the smaller metric threads but they dont make them.
Jenson has one listed on their site, but I ordered it and it wasnt metric it was just mislabeled on the website.
I know I can get steel sprockets from SDP and get the center bored out and add the proper bolt holes, but I figure if I'm getting that done I may as well look into getting an entire sprocket made custom just for the bling factor 8)

If you can find an engineering shop which does water jet cutting, and if you can come up with a drawing, then you can make any design you choose. Not sure of cost.

Because I'm still at work I became productive and knocked this up if it helps. If you take this to a cutter they will spit it out for you. I get things like this done with a slab of beer.

#25 80T sprocket with 4x3/16 holes to suit 14T half inck sprocket. The inside hole will clear the hub of the sprocket but if you can measure hub and let me know I can chance the drawing. This would solve the centering of the sprocket on the 14T.

Cheers

Alex

Attachments

• 80T sprocket.dxf
    129.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 80T sprocket.pdf
    96.9 KB · Views: 93
very cool, thanks! :mrgreen: I will have the 14T freewheel soon to measure, but I have to return the wrong one they sent first so it'll take a couple weeks probably.

forgive the newbie question , but is that how CNC work is generally done you give the machinist a CAD file and they make the part?
if so can I make a CAD file with whatever cutouts to make a custom sprocket and the CNC will deal?:chainwheel.jpg
thats not really the pattern I want, just an example of machined sprocket

Thats right, you draw up what you want to scale and generate a file that the CNC guy can read and he cuts it out in the material you want.
You will find that they will take you file and generate their own code adding certain machining functions and processes but you will end up with what you have drawn.
You can mill, laser or water cut that sprocket but I would stay with water cutting as it cuts without heat and you can put sharpe fine detail cuts. Milling or routing will give the best accuracy but more expensive (more beer).

When you get the right sprocket measure it and draw what design you want and I can alter the drawing. Will post scale A4 drawing later so you can design on it. Remember more cutting = more beer.

Cheers

Alex

Back when, somebody mentioned these guys: http://www.emachineshop.com/

I ain't used em, but maybe anothe member who has will chime in.

excellent! thanks everyone, I'm going to send an email to king sales and service and see what they say about price. :D

Back