How to remove cyclone 3k freewheel?

coinmaster

10 W
I'm using my cyclone 3000 motor on a KMX trike with the double sprocket attachment that lunacycle sells for recumbents and I'm using a 50t cassette in the back. I want to hit 30mph in first gear but I am only getting 16mph in first gear using the 14t freewheel cog on the cyclone 3000 motor.
I want to replace it with something bigger and this 22t freewheel is the biggest I can find.
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=2267

How exactly does the cyclone cog come off and is any sort of adapter I require to fit that 22t cog on the cyclone? Thanks.

I want to upgrade my cyclone 3k freewheel cog from a 14t to a 22t but I haven't the slightest clue how to get the cog off of the motor.
Can anyone give me some laymens instructions please?

You need a gear puller for that.

Unscrew little Allen screw that is fixing freewheel bushing/collar to gearbox shaft
Using gear puller, pull freewheel with the bushing off
Unscrew freewheel from bushing (that's a tricky part, need two tongue-and-groove pliers)

coinmaster said:
I want to upgrade my cyclone 3k freewheel cog from a 14t to a 22t but I haven't the slightest clue how to get the cog off of the motor.
Cagn anyone give me some laymens instructions please?

First of all, why do you want that? I think that nine times out of ten, folks with be better off with a 13t drive freewheel than with a 14t. You'll cut the effective torque and efficiency of the motor by loading it down with too tall a ratio.

You'll need one of these, a 20mm shaft adapter with 6mm keyway, threaded for a normal 1.37"x24 freewheel:
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?=product&id=1927
[New link: http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=2275 ]

Undo the set screws and pry the old freewheel off, then mount this adapter, grease the threads, and screw on a 22t freewheel. Don't say I don't warn you.

I have an Ego-Kit and I think it is somehow similar to Cyclone.
Looking for a replacement of the freewheel.

Anyone can help me how to remove it and where to get a new freewheel.

Attachments

• Ego Freilauf 2.jpg
    Ego Freilauf 2.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 412
  • Ego Freilauf 1.jpg
    Ego Freilauf 1.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 412
The freewheel is probably the common standard type, but they've spotwelded it together (so it can't disassemble itself, which is common in these aplications). So if you get a replacement, if it's not modified to prevent it, it might do that.

The adapter holding the freewheel is probably held on by that allen-key bolt at the end, and the allen-key grubscrew that is right at the same point as that spotweld. You probably remove that allen-key bolt, and then loosen the grubscrew, and the whole assembly slides off the shaft.

Once it is off then you would need to check the backside of the freewheel for which remover tool splines it has, and then get that tool to take it off the adapter (if they didn't weld it to the adapter, too). You may have to clamp the adapter in a vise to secure it while you use the freewheel remover tool on the freewheel itself (this usually turns it counterclockwise when facing that side of the freewheel).

Coinmaster,

Using a gear puller is a little overkill. I use a 1" pickle fork.IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

One could tap a wood chisel between the motor pulley and the motor housing to open a gap but usually the blunter pickle fork with a few light ball pin hammer taps moves the pulley.

Just light tapping will force insertion of the fork creating a gap. I you think the fork is too dull sharpen the ends with a grinder.IMG_0871.jpg

As for the weld, grind it off with a small cordless grinder. But please throw that worthless Cyclone generic hub towards the recycle pile.

Back