Furnace ECM motor usable for an E-Bike?

TommyCat

10 kW
Good day everyone!

I have this working 1 hp blower motor and was wondering if it could be adapted for an electric bicycle use. Anyone attempt this?
Or is it one of those...well you could, but it wouldn't be worth it. :wink:

Thoughts are an external controller. But would like to install hall sensors. Perhaps above my pay grade. Sensor less then? Gear reduction.
Have to check and see what DC voltage it's firing on now.

Here are the particulars...

GE ECM 5SME39SG 1 HP 0-1300 rpm 115 volt 60 htz 12 amp motor

AKG03 0904 existing controller... no, don't plan on using.

I count 36 coils, 3 phase wires, and 6 magnet poles but no guarantees. (2 of the motor wire connectors are for a temperature cut-out)

104RjHd.jpg

BskoeqN.jpg

virMHLc.jpg

Any comments and experience tips are certainly welcome!

Regards,
T.C.

I don't think you'll like the weight to power output ratio of AC induction motors. Especially for an E-bike project.

I mean are those even magnets on the rotor? It looks like 3 Iron slabs in the shape of magnets lol

Also, from what I know magnets on a brushless motor have to be divisible by 2

eee291 said:
I don't think you'll like the weight to power output ratio of AC induction motors. Especially for an E-bike project.

Don't be led astray by the motor specs... It's original controller rectifies the A/C to D/C and controls it with PWM. I'm thinking 1 HP is 1 HP, weight of no concern.

I mean are those even magnets on the rotor? It looks like 3 Iron slabs in the shape of magnets lol

They do seem very unique. What seems stranger is that each one has two positive poles. If you look close at the picture, each yellow dot on the magnet end represents a positive pole that I had marked out.

Also, from what I know magnets on a brushless motor have to be divisible by 2

See above...

Seems awfully quiet out there. Maybe new territory. :shock:

cross linking these two threads since they're about the same basic motor:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=111222

Thanks for the cross link.
Yes they are magnets but not horribly strong
I looked back at my rotor bar/ stator slot diagram and yes these small motors often operated with odd number rotor bars to stator slots, perhaps this also works for magnetic rotors?

bumrocks said:
Whatever happened? Did you ever attempt this build?

No I did not. It's still sitting on the shelf patiently waiting for me.
Back then I was hoping someone had done the heavy lifting of proving the possibility of using such a motor. As at the time I was a novice at BLDC motor operation and control.
And now having a bit of knowledge acquired, have not yet found an application for it that would warrant the R&D required.

But with Thunder aboard and perhaps more interested individuals, progress will be made.

thunder said:
Thanks for the cross link.

+1 @ A.W.

Hi Thunder, it seems brilliant minds think alike. :wink:

Would you like to combine our threads into one? Or would the different original motor's AC voltage inputs cause differences...?

I'm interested in your motor windings having 2 sets of 3 wires... have you determined how it's wired? One set a spare?
What are the full specs on you motor's data sticker?

The magnets seem very unusual. :shock:

I too was surprised to find 3 magnets, guessing it was due to its design being a low rpm/high torque...
If the admin wishes to combine these threads or can great idea
I too don't have a specific use for this motor but who knows it might wind up on a kids go cart...this motor has a single winding, Y wound 3 phase stator

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 498
Back