BBSHD 3KW controller opinions (Aust)

Beauie

10 mW
I have close friends that live and work in China and are willing to help me negotiate /design / make a new aftermarket controller for the Bafang BBSHD.

I will probably get a limited number CNC'd for my friends and I but if there's enough interest I will look into getting the tooling done to get the costs down.

I'm hoping to have programmable sine-wave controllers that fit / replace the existing controller for about $220 AUD.

Im located in Sydney, So only available to Aussies atm.

Let me know if your interested.

Cheers
James

Another one for Brisbane please, by the way, props for having a price in mind up front.

Cheers guys.
I'm excited to have a clean fitting programmable sinewave for the bbshd .
I'll probably limit the first run to 10 Aussies who like to ride fast, hard and are willing to test/ change a nylon gear once every few months :p (easy job :))

From what I've seen though they love higher voltage / amps

Will send you guys some more info through soon..

I certainly push the gear fast and hard, although probably a little differently from your use case. Mine is hauling about 250kg at times on a mundo through some hilly paths. If this comes through I'll probably have to look at putting the boat anchor N171 hub back on as I've already managed to eat a bunch of rear gearsets.

If there is a future for international orders,
I'd be interested (I'm in Canada) if shipping isn't too prohibitive (I know aussi shipping is expensive).

Matador

i'll put my hand up for one. im on the gold coast
Mines in pieces right now waiting on a new nylon gear after i got a bit carried away on the trails the other day. Would love to hook up a larger controller and really get into it.

Quick update from my guy in China, nothing to really report but thought I'd keep you guy's in the loop..

"Hey, the cad drawings of the controller is to be revised at this stage. controller chip is being developed. you are looking at at least 3 weeks."

Hopefully here in a month :)

Very nice, thanks for the update. Whereabouts in China are they based, I've got family coming in December.

I would be interested in it, but I'm from Europe. Still I hope you can ship me one at the extra cost.

Also interested, also not in Australia, will be happy to pay whatever shipment costs...

Awesome...

Apparently the first prototype is coming together nicely. Waiting to find out specs of caps etc etc.

I'm getting worried about the responsibility of all your guys hard earned dollarydoos and I'm thinking it might be best to get the first one sent over and I can run it through its paces and test / abuse it?

That process will obviously slow delivery times.

If anyone wants to take the gamble (factory assures me they will work great but if there are any issues return postage back and forth it could get expensive) with me and not wait LMK?

Hopefully have some pics etc soon

Cheers
James

I probably won't mind gambling on the controller (depending on shipment costs), however, I think it is important that the controller will be compatible with at least 74V batteries... will the controller be built into the motor same as the original?

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. For sure there is lots of room for improvement on the stock Bafang units.

One problem I can see is the main capacitors. The stock BBSHD caps are marginally sized and would need to be bigger for a higher powered unit. But there isn't much room inside the housing. Having extra capacitors mounted outside (on the main battery wires) might be one way around this. Higher quality capacitors would help too.

Another possibility would be to make the controller housing a little thicker to have more room inside.

I actually got a question for you Beauie: how exactly are you gonna allow people to customize the parameters of the controller? Have you already designed a firmware and a software that accesses the controller from the PC and lets you change the values? Because after all, this is one of the main objectives of having a custom controller, not having to bother with any limitations imposed by the closed source stock firmware. The other goal is to get better components to allow for higher voltage and current so that everyone can easily turn his e-bike into the perfect suicide machine. :lol:

It should be a direct swap over that fits were the stock one goes.

Hoping to use the existing bafang plugs / cable for programming.

Once they send me some more concrete info and pics I will upload and we can look for improvements etc.

Cheers
James

It's sad to say but looks like this is going to fall through.. Sorry for getting all your hopes up :( .. Looks like it's time to mod the stock one :p.. Sorry again I'm sad about this :(

Beauie said:
It's sad to say but looks like this is going to fall through.. Sorry for getting all your hopes up :( .. Looks like it's time to mod the stock one :p.. Sorry again I'm sad about this :(

What happened if you can share?

Price has gone up, they want more for tooling etc... I have a Skype call set up this week with my guy in China but it's not looking good :(

Tooling? Were they going to cast it? I would have though for such a small run you'd just mill it, face cutter, pocket end mill, drill bit, slotter. Anything a basic machinist shop should have. Usually the expensive part is setting the machine. PCBs are done cheap by a mob like JLC pcb, with some poor kid in a poorly ventilated room in downtown Guanzhou hand soldering the components. If you had the schematics for the plate and board I'd be interested in getting a few quotes for a 10/20/100 run.

:roll: ...well...why PAY someone else to do the fun part, when you can do it yourself? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Here is the DIY thread, happy reading and soldering :) :arrow: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83778

Back