IT'S ALIVE...... BBS02HD!!

Fastwanabe

100 mW
Hi everyone, just finished my new creation. BBS02B with a BBSHD core. A few mods were needed but it worked out in the end. Since I was able to bolt up a BBSHD controller housing to my BBS02B case I figured I would also be able to put on a BBSHD motor. Since I was already planning and purchasing spare BBS02B parts I figured try a BBSHD core. If it doesn't work then Ill exchange it for the right part. After removing the rotor from the HD core and bolting the core to the BBS02B housing I figured the only thing that would be different would be the rotor shaft itself. After a couple trips to my local machine shop and 25 bucks later all they needed to do was replicate the BBS02B rotor dimensions to the BBSHD rotor, both rotors were almost identical. After shaving a few mm off the length of the shaft and helicoil it bolted right up. The left side crank predictable hit the motor since the HD is way longer that the 02, I had to modify a crank that came with the bike and grounded down a few mm of the inside of the crank arm itself till it cleared. Now the countdown is gonna be how long the nylon gear lasts. I have a spare so im trying to beat it up as much as I can, we'll see.

On another note...... I use a PR on the BBS02B and now this BBS02HD. Since my commute to work is 8 miles each way the BBS02B got nasty hot(burnt finger hot) at full power but this HD barely gets warm at full power the entire way. Plus I didn't want to give up my perfect chain line in getting an actual BBSHD.

11/20/2018 UPDATE.... Shes been fantastic, pulling strong with no weird noises whatsoever. Going to and from work (8 miles each way) produces noticeable a lot less heat than the BBS02B motor.

11/27/2018..... Still going strong. No issues whatsoever. Full power all the time to and from work and its perfect.
12/17/2018...... Nothing to report still going strong, full power 90% of the time.
12/25/2018..... I broke 2 teeth off the big gear, I'm surprised I broke this part so soon.
01/9/2019...... Installed new gear from Luna and continues to run strong.
03/26/2019.... Running 20 miles a day now.... to and from work. I've installed it all on a new(to me) 27.5 Schwinn Al COMP and she's been great. Ive been swapping the BBSHD and BBSO2 cores a few times a moth to ensure everything works and it does.

Attachments

• IMG_17112018_183943_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_17112018_183943_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 4,340
  • IMG_19112018_134157_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_19112018_134157_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 4,087
  • IMG_21112018_051727_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_21112018_051727_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 4,004
  • IMG_22112018_165952_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_22112018_165952_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 3,930
Very nice! I may have to try this mod in the future. To clarify, one would need a BBSHD controller, motor core, and non-drive side cover. Correct? Have you been able to compare power consumption, efficiency, and performance? What is the advantage to this mod over just buying an HD? Just the better chainline?

ions82 said:
Very nice! I may have to try this mod in the future. To clarify, one would need a BBSHD controller, motor core, and non-drive side cover. Correct? Have you been able to compare power consumption, efficiency, and performance? What is the advantage to this mod over just buying an HD? Just the better chainline?

2 Main reasons I did this. First money, I already had the BBS02B and it ran fine but since Im lazy I ride this thing like a motorcycle. I pump 35 field weakening amps through it and it would get super hot. It gets so hot that I could smell the varnish from the coils burning so it was only a matter of time. Yes i could lower the power and go slower but thats not me. I was just gonna have spare parts lying around just in case. Second, I had the chain line dialed in and didnt want to start experimenting with different chain rings by getting the full BBSHD kit.
By going this route I save myself about 300 bucks, go faster, have a spare motor, no messing with chain, sprocket, cassettes and more importantly HEAT. I have a spare nylon gear so let see if the motor kills it. I can now achieve 40 MPH in the same gear that the BBS02 would only do 34 MPH so Im happy.

Grantmac said:
With the controller?
no controller, just the motor.
https://lunacycle.com/bbshd-motor-core-version-b/

I run a PR so I didn't need the controller.

Ay.. kinda amazing that you were able to just drop things in like that.
But did you consider that the bbs02 has a weaker drivetrain than the HD before doing this?

I've seen the BBS02 drivetrain fail on stock power.. so i'd recommend running.. unfortunately.. bbs02 stock power. ( although you'll have higher efficiency and more power delivered with the bigger stator )

Fastwanabe said:
By going this route I save myself about 300 bucks, go faster, have a spare motor, no messing with chain, sprocket, cassettes and more importantly HEAT. I have a spare nylon gear so let see if the motor kills it. I can now achieve 40 MPH in the same gear that the BBS02 would only do 34 MPH so Im happy.

Your bike's chain drive wasn't intended for the sustained power required to go 40mph. You may not burn your motor, but now you've put other components of the bike far beyond their ratings. So have a plan for when things break.

I will have to store this info away for future reference. I'm trusting the stock BBS02 to carry me everywhere I want to go. However, if I get the need for speed, I might have to give it a go. If you ever open the motor back up, be sure to snap some pics of the innards.

This is the kind of stuff I love about the DIY e-bike scene. So many brilliant people sharing valuable knowledge and crazy ideas on the interwebs. We truly live in an amazing time.

Just a quick update...... After 3 days of riding 16 miles a day.... all is well. No weird noises, no over heating and no weird smells. It actually runs really really well and is quieter than my 02 even with the hall sensor not working. PR shows 2 hall sensors being triggered at the same time. I'm not gonna bother with it. Running sensorless works fine with the PR.

Any idea if the metal gear made for the BBSHD will fit in the BBS02? Plastic gear meltdowns were pretty common on the BBS02.

fechter said:
Any idea if the metal gear made for the BBSHD will fit in the BBS02? Plastic gear meltdowns were pretty common on the BBS02.
Wish I knew, if somebody wants to send me one I'll try it.

fechter said:

There was an experiment on a Luna run page and it was a failure. Others have come forward claiming they can make a gear that will work but so far unobtanium.

I have to ask how you came to the conclusion that BBS02 plastic gear meltdowns were pretty common? I read that often yet it doesn't jibe with sales of parts, or reports from two other vendors. My friend ships off many replacement parts every day. I can't remember a sale for a BBS02 gear. My spare is now 4 years old and unused. I think riders didn't understand how to use the early motors and treated them like one-speed scooters. Starting out from a stop without having shifted to the appropriate gear.

ions82 said:
Very nice! I may have to try this mod in the future. To clarify, one would need a BBSHD controller, motor core, and non-drive side cover. Correct? Have you been able to compare power consumption, efficiency, and performance?

Power consumption? I deff drains the battery quicker and that was no surprise. If anything just by estimation I would say I get maybe 3 miles less range at full power compared to the BBS02B.

Effeciency? not sure.

Performance? Lots more torque and high end acceleration compared to the BBS02B in my case. As an example..... My BBS02B would easily cruise at full speed in the 28-32 MPH depending on wind, The BBS02HD cruises in the 34-38 MPH in the same conditions. Top speed comes in scary fast. Im 180lb and the bike weighs in about 50-60 lbs fully loaded. So far no issues with chain, nylon gear, sprockets and other parts.

Uh-oh problem one has risen. Broken teeth on big gear.

Attachments

• IMG_26122018_010720_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_26122018_010720_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 3,433
  • IMG_26122018_010702_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_26122018_010702_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 3,433
Yeah I did the same thing with mine when I first got it. Being a jackass basically, seeing how big of a burnout I could do, etc.

I replaced the gear (swapped the old clutch over) and I've done over 30,000km on it since with no other mechanical issues. Seems to be the weak point in terms of torque handling, if you don't overheat the nylon one.

I also don't use the PAS, throttle on once I'm moving and all the slack is gone from the driveline. That might partially explain my lack of broken BBS02 parts.

Not an isolated failure, but also NOT a part with high replacement number based on numbers orders. IME it's more common to see the teeth worn down on one side.

Still running great and quiet as a mouse. Now I'm riding 10 miles each way to a new job with allot of stop and go. I can't really go balls out since my new route forces me to take side walks 90% of the time.

[/img]
fechter said:
No, the gears are different.
I keep hearing that, yet the plastic gear is one of the parts we sell the least of. Take a fat bike and ride in deep snow and throw full throttle at it and you can be like Karl and melt a gear. The only other meltdowns I’ve seen are from riders that run an 02 like it were a one speed moped. Keep it wound, up and like my 3 pre 3077 FET versions, and no need for a spare. BTW I have the spare BBS01 gear I bought with my first kit in 2014. Good I grabbed one since they are beginning to be hard to find.

The metal gears I’m aware of were failures.

There are at least two versions of the gear for BBS02 motors.

Still running strong. 20 miles 5 days a week and its a breeze at 30-40 mph on the street. My battery is giving me lip though so its time to upgrade that......I'm think maybe a WOLF battery.

tomjasz said:
of the parts we sell the least of. Take a fat bike and ride in deep snow and throw full throttle at it and you can be like Karl and melt a gear. The only other meltdowns I’ve seen are from riders that run an 02 like it were a one speed moped. Keep it wound, up and like my 3 pre 3077 FET versions, and no need

I tore one up 400 some miles into a new BBS02. Wasn't even trying, and I understand the concepts of luggin, loping and loading. Maybe it was just the stock gearing that did me in.

I love this BBS02/HD. From what I can see is the BBSo2 is only really different in the stator width.. winding. The rest of the drivetrain seems to be very similar, including the oneway bearing and the nylon gear.

Back