Dual Motor Controller

etard

100 kW
Has anybody seen this controller? It seems way sicker than the HV110 for all the dual motor setups, current limited and everything.

Is there any Robot guys here?

Features

* Size: 108mm x 82mm x 28mm (4.25" x 3.23" x 1.1") without optional mounting brackets
* Weight: 365 grams (13 oz.) as shown
* Voltage: 14V to 48V Supply voltage (50V absolute max, down to 6V with external 12V supply)
* Current: 80A continuous each channel (150A peak 5 seconds)
* Current Limiting: Adjustable from 10A to 130A (sets the limit for both channels)
* Over Temp Limiting: fixed at 200F or 93C each channel independently sensed
* Four quadrant operation with regenerative braking
* Thermal Control: MOSFETs mounted to 0.5" Aluminum bars bolted to case (see below). No fans required.
* Indicator LEDs: Speed and direction of each motor channel and general signal status
* Receiver battery eliminator circuit (BEC) standard – may be disabled. Provides up to 100 mA of current at 5V to the RC receiver and other attached electronic circuits
* Command Format: R/C pulse standard, TTL serial optional
* Calibrate button to match Sidewinder to radio or other R/C signal source
* R/C Inputs: Left/Steer, Right/Throttle, Flip (inverts steering response when activated)
* Drive Modes selected via jumpers:
o Left/Right Mix (default - right input acts as steering and left as throttle)
o Mixed Mirror Left (left mixed output command sent to both output channels)
o Mixed Mirror Right
o Left/Right independent (Tank)
o Mirror (both outputs mirror a single input)
* Failsafe shuts off motor if R/C signal is lost
* Six high-current wires (2 battery, 2 each motor) may be soldered or attached via #8 bolt and ring terminals
* Expansion header for planned on-board radio tranceiver and single axis gyro (future). May be used for other special add-ons
* FLASH-based microcontroller with upgradeable software via in-circuit programming header. Software may be customized for unique applications. Contact us if you have special needs for your application.

http://robotpower.com/products/sidewinder_info.html

Sidewinder2-top-iso-brackets-sm.jpg

I don't know if this has been posted, but it seems like it has all the features you could ask for.

Sidewinder2-top-iso-brackets-sm.jpg

http://robotpower.com/products/sidewinder_info.html

The Robot Power Sidewinder is a compact high-performance dual channel brushed motor speed control. Each of its output channels is capable of handling motors up to about 2kW (80A) at 24V. It is designed for combat (Battlebots®), military, police, research and hobby ground vehicles and robots.

I thought you would like to know that my 100kg, 220lb, machine ran flawlessly (in fact far better than ever) this weekend with a single sidewinder replacing the original 4qd pro300's, and even survived a locked gearbox. People were stunned.

Customer James B. from the UK

The Sidewinder is designed to pack the highest power handling capability in the smallest package. Its tough extruded Aluminum case and lack of cooling fans make it suitable for many demanding industrial or outdoor applications.

Features

* Size: 108mm x 82mm x 28mm (4.25" x 3.23" x 1.1") without optional mounting brackets
* Weight: 365 grams (13 oz.) as shown
* Voltage: 14V to 48V Supply voltage (50V absolute max, down to 6V with external 12V supply)
* Current: 80A continuous each channel (150A peak 5 seconds)
* Current Limiting: Adjustable from 10A to 130A (sets the limit for both channels)
* Over Temp Limiting: fixed at 200F or 93C each channel independently sensed
* Four quadrant operation with regenerative braking
* Thermal Control: MOSFETs mounted to 0.5" Aluminum bars bolted to case (see below). No fans required.
* Indicator LEDs: Speed and direction of each motor channel and general signal status
* Receiver battery eliminator circuit (BEC) standard – may be disabled. Provides up to 100 mA of current at 5V to the RC receiver and other attached electronic circuits
* Command Format: R/C pulse standard, TTL serial optional
* Calibrate button to match Sidewinder to radio or other R/C signal source
* R/C Inputs: Left/Steer, Right/Throttle, Flip (inverts steering response when activated)
* Drive Modes selected via jumpers:
o Left/Right Mix (default - right input acts as steering and left as throttle)
o Mixed Mirror Left (left mixed output command sent to both output channels)
o Mixed Mirror Right
o Left/Right independent (Tank)
o Mirror (both outputs mirror a single input)
* Failsafe shuts off motor if R/C signal is lost
* Six high-current wires (2 battery, 2 each motor) may be soldered or attached via #8 bolt and ring terminals
* Expansion header for planned on-board radio tranceiver and single axis gyro (future). May be used for other special add-ons
* FLASH-based microcontroller with upgradeable software via in-circuit programming header. Software may be customized for unique applications. Contact us if you have special needs for your application.

Are there any robot guys here? Too bad it's for brushed motors, but it might be worth using brushed to forgo all the extra hassle that these sensorless motors are creating.

Well I guess that leads to my next question....

Are Brushed motors really that bad? I mean the simplicity is it's best feature correct? And it sucks down watts because it's inefficient right? Are they heavy too?

Maybe I should study up on these motors some more. :roll:

Very cool controller. The limiting factor for brushless motors really is the controller cost / complexity.
I looked at the OSMC project controllers for a while before deciding I wanted to use RC brushless stuff, but there are definitely advantages and disadvantages to both sides.

well I wouldnt call brushed motors bad, but that extra ~10% of efficiency for brushless translates to added range/power. I must say I started out trying many different brushed motors and when I bought my first brushless it was like so long brushed motors forever. my watts up was reading way less watts going the same speed and the motor ran cooler. so in my opinion its like using sla batteries, theyre cheap but heavier and less efficient

Back