Bafang M400 G330.250 Configuration

Hello,

i have a e-bike with a Bafang M400 G330.250 motor and a C15.uart display (Branded with logo Cortina). I want to try to run the Bafang Configuration Tool and see if it is possible to remove de speed limit, and in the future maybe more settings.
I have read al lot of topics on this forum but haven't found an answer yet.
Changing the speed limit through the display settings is not possible i think. So i want to buy the needed configuration cable and connect it up to the bike and see what is possible.
Also would i like to know if it is possible to change the controlbuttons, so maybe i can use the "+" for extra pedal assist?
This cable:https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/EBik..._expid=8e61bb92-b433-4291-a483-f78a4e732215-0
This is the engine:
https://www.bafang-e.com/en/drive-systems/drive-system/max/m400-drive-system.html
This is the display:
https://www.bafang-e.com/en/components/component/hmi/dp-c15uart.html
bafang-display-dp-c15.jpg

Pictures of the bike:
https://www.mantel.com/cortina-e-octa-7v?spec[]=114

The cable that goes from the display to the motor, that's the UART cable.
Check if it has a HIGO connector that you can unplug, the programming cable attaches to the motor through that.

Also unrelated to your question but of interest to me:
Does your display show the remaining capacity and maybe even single cell voltages of the battery?
Is your battery connected to the motor only with two wires or are there additional wires?

BotoXbz said:
Does your display show the remaining capacity and maybe even single cell voltages of the battery?
Is your battery connected to the motor only with two wires or are there additional wires?

Battery info is available:
b01 = temperature
b04 = 45967mV
B06 = 20mA
B07 = 9230mAh
B08 = 15000mAh
B09 = battery percentage
B10 = battery percentage
B11 = battery charging cycle
B12 = 1776,0H
B13 = 106,0H
D00 = 12

D01-D12= cell info showing 3833mV

Battery is connected with 4 wires: red/black/blue/yellow.

I found the connector it was in the bicycle frame. :lol:

Cupraatjesmaker said:
BotoXbz said:

Battery info is available:
b01 = temperature
b04 = 45967mV
B06 = 20mA
B07 = 9230mAh
B08 = 15000mAh
B09 = battery percentage
B10 = battery percentage
B11 = battery charging cycle
B12 = 1776,0H
B13 = 106,0H
D00 = 12

D01-D12= cell info showing 3833mV

Battery is connected with 4 wires: red/black/blue/yellow.

I found the connector it was in the bicycle frame. :lol:

Ahhhh that is so cool.
I made my own BMS firmware for an electric scooter, now I want to make it work with Bafang displays too so it works just like the original Bafang stuff.

Are the 4 wires of the battery going straight into the motor or do you see some sort of junction box / split anywhere?
My assumption is that the battery is connected to the same UART wires as the motor and display, to the "EB-BUS", and either the motor or the battery respond to the display.

Sadly I can't find any pictures of these systems on the net, only BBSxx which looks like this:
fetch

As you can see only 2 wires from the battery there and no battery stats.

Edit: Actually I think it is just as I thought: https://www.bafang-e.com/en/components/component/connector/eb-1t2gxxxxx.html
The battery and display are on the same UART bus.

Now I just need a bafang battery to reverse the communication ^^
Or somebody who would sniff the UART communication for me, either need two UART dongles or a cheap logic analyzer and connect that to the RX and TX pins on the bike.

What you can do depends on the firmware installed. Both in the controller and in the display.
Bafang is not helpful at all I'm afraid.
I have BESST (tool) that may be used to update firmware and alter settings (UART) for the display (not the controller).
I have also been using BafangConfigTool.

The problem is that unless you have an account at Bafang *and* is the "brand"(or "assembler") of the bike/display, you will not be able to alter settings. You will have to be connected to Internet (to Bafang servers) to use BESST. And everything is logged.
Well.. you can *lower* the speed limit, but not set it higher than it was set by Bafang/"brand" they sell to.
You as the "end-user" (owner) must ask the "brand" (seller) about altering settings (if they are able to/wants to).
Absolute rubbish IMNHO.

BafangConfigTool works fine on a controller that have no "write-protection" (Newer controller do have "write-protection" from Bafang).

Display (aftermarked) from Luna, FasterBikes.eu.. others.. it is possible to change speed limit/wheel size.

I bought my first ("legal") kit (BBS02) last year, and to my surprise I was not able to alter settings in the controller, nor change max.speed/wheel size in the DPC-18. Not using BESST. Not using BafangConfig (Luna and Penoff).

Had to buy a "open" controller and another "open" DPC-18.

Since then I have bought other kits, but only from sources that sells non-OEM bikes/kits.

Lesson learnt.. :wink:

I have a similar bike and Bafang motor with the same issues, I am not able to adjust the top speed or wheel size either in the display settings. Is the solution to swap the locked display itself for a new Bafang display that would allow access to the currently locked adjustment parameters?

Putting the throttle is easy on the m400 .
All you need is throttle with long enough cable . The connect the blue hall sensor wire from the controller 5 wire connection end to the throttle hall wire and connect the red wire and black wire from the controller display 5 wire connection . Just make a extension .

Amandeep said:
All you need is throttle with long enough cable . The connect the blue hall sensor wire from the controller 5 wire connection end to the throttle hall wire and connect the red wire and black wire from the controller display 5 wire connection . Just make a extension .

This is the first time I have ever seen a description of how to do this in a couple years of looking. I wonder if you could go into a little more depth here about what specific wires and confirm that we are talking about a Bafang MAX drive ( m400)

I love my bike and really don't want to give it up and a throttle would probably give me years more of use on it. I very much hope to see a response and thank you in advance.

thereyago said:
Amandeep said:

This is the first time I have ever seen a description of how to do this in a couple years of looking. I wonder if you could go into a little more depth here about what specific wires and confirm that we are talking about a Bafang MAX drive ( m400)

I love my bike and really don't want to give it up and a throttle would probably give me years more of use on it. I very much hope to see a response and thank you in advance.

Any news? Would like to know how to connect thumb throttle to M400….

add throttle need this cable
https://www.greenbikekit.com/bafang-ultra-m620-g510-cable.html

Just recently try connect M400 G33 250w controller 2017 trough usb cable and BafangConfigTool prog.
they communicate and write but after start Error 30
then controller not respond its BRICKED so program is for BBS** motors only
150 eur experience

cant even go check MCU with STC-ISP flash tool and no firmware available

I bought the cable you sent the link to. Also I got the thumb throttle:
https://www.greenbikekit.com/8fun-bbs01-bbs02-bbshd-left-hand-thumb-throttle-higo-connector.html

After connecting the cable to controller the throttle doesn’t do anything? What I did wrong?

joshlac said:
https://www.greenbikekit.com/8fun-bbs01-bbs02-bbshd-left-hand-thumb-throttle-higo-connector.html

After connecting the cable to controller the throttle doesn’t do anything? What I did wrong?

Me too exactly! Have played carefully with throttle programming settings, but cannot get any action from the throttle.

Anyone with guidance would be massively appreciated!

joshlac said:

Seems possible throttle only applies after pedalling? (see attachment)
from https://www.greenbikekit.com/max-drive-bafang-m400-cable-1t3-eb-bus.html

Yeah looks like throttle activation begins at 10kmhr.

Have tried many settings but unable to get this speed to lower.

If anyone knows how to get the throttle to activate from 0kmhr let me know would be very useful!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-29 at 8.43.35 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-29 at 8.43.35 AM.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 7,763
Hello all!
Is it possible to use this controller with 3rd party battery(connecting only power cables) without any display at all, connecting only the throttle because thats all I have..? and for the time being I wouldn't buy anything extra as these components are quite expensive here.

Hi all,
I sell and service ebikes, including some that are fitted with the Bafang M400 motor.
I am trying to learn all I can about these motors and have just obtained a BESST tool... which I am trying to learn about also.

Here is some information I have learned, in case it is helpful, and a request for information:

Using the "standard" Bafang programming cable and program on my laptop, I have been able to change most settings, including max speed (up to 50kph), max current draw (up to the maximum that is allowed in the firmware version, which varies from one motor to another) and individual parameters.
I have done this multiple times, and have not "Bricked" any controllers.
I have also used the Android App "Speeed" which is easier to use, seems to work well and has a few cool features not found in the Windows based program.

The controllers that I have seen all have the same type number (CR X10B.250.SN.U 3.0), and have a silver sticker showing the nominal rating and firmware number, which varies, so it seems that all controllers are identical in their hardware but can be programmed for different voltages and power ratings by varying the firmware.
Within the hard factory set limits, some of the parameters can be modified to change the way the bike performs.

The 36V controllers I have seen that are nominally rated at 14A / 250W have a firmware number CRX10B3614E103126. 0 and are factory set to a maximum current draw from the battery of 20A. I can reset this to a lower current draw but cannot exceed the 20A max.

The 36V controllers rated at 16A / 350W have a firmware number CRX10B3616E103127. 0 and are factory set to a maximum current draw of 22A. Again, I can alter the max current draw to a lower setting, but cannot exceed 22A.

Our bikes with these motors are all fitted with throttles, which are connected through 1T4 cables identical to those referred to in a post above.
I can confirm that they will not work until the bike is already moving.. in the case of our bikes, the throttle cuts in at about 7kph. This speed is factory set and as far as I know cannot be over-ridden without new firmware (and maybe not even then..).
I have been told that this is to protect the motor from overheating if the bike has been left in a high gear, when starting from a standstill. In this situation the motor will be drawing high current while turning very slowly, so will heat up very quickly.

Regarding the BESST tool:
-Does anyone know if there is a good guide on what can be achieved using this tool, and how to do it?

-It appears that the BESST tool can be used to download new firmware into components including controllers. I would like to know if it can UPLOAD firmware FROM a controller in a format that can be saved to download into another controller?

-Does anyone know how to access Firmware files from Bafang or another reliable source?

Specifically I need a copy of firmware that will convert a 36V M400 controller into a 48V controller. The firmware in the failed controller is labelled CRX10B4812E103111. 0 , 48V nominal, 250 Watt, so that is the firmware I am hoping to find. Any other 48V firmware for the M400 controller may work, especially if a higher current / power version.

I second a need for a 48v firmware.
I have a 36v 350w Bafang max g33 motor in a fat bike from M2S.. I am wondering if buying a physically compatible 48v Dorado battery and slapping it on the bike would realize any power gains after playing with this USB tool?

Thank!

Back