MY 1020 Controller Issues

pinkguy13

1 µW
Hi, I'm building an electric go-kart using the MY 1020 motor or maybe a clone of it. But unfortunately, I can't seem to get the motor to run at all. Not even powering up. After looking through these forums I found out that I need to connect some sort of e lock cable and power cable. the controller is a chinese make and came with little to no instructions. Could anyone give me some sort of information on what wires to connect to disable the e-lock or motor lock?

This is the wiring information provided in the description.
Installation:
These controllers have 4 groups neccessary cables(power cables, E-lock cables, Throttle-cables & Motor-phase cables), when hook up these 4 groups cables, the E-bike can run normally.
Besides, these controllers have other optional functions, users can hook them up according to your applications.

Connection Table:
1.)Power Cables: big red + big black
2.)Phase Cables: big yellow + big green + big blue
3.)Electric Door Lock Cable: middle red
4.)Hall Cables: small red, small black, small yellow, small green, small blue
5.)Throttle Cables: small red + small blue + small black
6.)Speed Cables: blue(high speed)+ black + +yellow(low speed)
7.)Brake-Hi Cable: yellow
8.)Brake-Low Cable: Brown
9.)Anti-theft Cables:Red(Positive) + Black(power) Red(E-Start) + Blue(Motor Lock Signal) + Green(Motor Lock)
10.)Astern cable: small black + small white
11.)Self-Study cable: two white cables with black plugs
12.)E-ABS(Optical): two blue cables matched

I would really appreciate any amount of help.
Thank you.

pinkguy13 said:
Hi, I'm building an electric go-kart using the MY 1020 motor or maybe a clone of it. But unfortunately, I can't seem to get the motor to run at all. Not even powering up.
Unless yours is a type I have never seen, the MY1020 is a brushed motor (only two wires), so it is incompatible wiht the controller you have, which is a brushless controller that requires a motor with a minimum of eight wires (three phase and five hall).

To test a brushed motor, simply connect it's two wires (there are only two) two the plus and minus of your battery. It will jerk very very strongly as it spins up instantly in your hands if you are holding it, so be prepared for that. If you already have it mounted, I would disconnect it's chain so it's just the motor under test.

If yours is brushless, it will have three thick wires, and at least five thin ones. The five thin ones go to the hall connector on the controller. The three thick go to the three phase wires. The black and red wires on the hall connector should match colors, but the rest probably will not be matching color to color; you will have to experiment to find the right phase / hall combination.

fter looking through these forums I found out that I need to connect some sort of e lock cable and power cable. the controller is a chinese make and came with little to no instructions. Could anyone give me some sort of information on what wires to connect to disable the e-lock or motor lock?

1.)Power Cables: big red

If you get (or have) a brushless motor with hall sensors, then to use the controller you have, connect these together to enable the controller.

6.)Speed Cables: blue(high speed)+ black + +yellow(low speed)
If you leave it unconnected, it will default to "normal".

7.)Brake-Hi Cable: yellow
8.)Brake-Low Cable: Brown

If you wire your ebrake lever swithc from ground to 8, leave 7 unconnected.

9.)Anti-theft Cables:Red(Positive) + Black(power) Red(E-Start) + Blue(Motor Lock Signal) + Green(Motor Lock)
Dunno; I'd just leave this alone.

10.)Astern cable: small black + small white
Connect this to reverse motor direction. put a button on the dashboard to allow for backing up.

11.)Self-Study cable: two white cables with black plugs
Connect this to avoid ahving to work out the right phase / hall combination. Once it spins in the right direction, disconnect the wire and power cycle the controller, it should remember it.

12.)E-ABS(Optical): two blue cables matched
disconnected, ebrake just cuts motor power
connected, ebrake applies actual braking (probably regen) to the motor. this may stress your chain or break it if braking is strong enough and sudden enough.

amberwolf said:

If you get (or have) a brushless motor with hall sensors, then to use the controller you have, connect these together to enable the controller.

I plugged the power cable into the middle red cable and it started smoking so I unplugged it. Any idea what I should do?

pinkguy13 said:
amberwolf said:

I plugged the power cable into the middle red cable and it started smoking so I unplugged it. Any idea what I should do?
Then they have either miswired the controller internally, mislabelled the connectors and/or wires, or the controller has an internal defect.

You would need to contact the manufacturer or seller to get a replacment and hope it is better than this one.

Or the motor is the wrong type and is hooked up to the wrong wires, etc. (you haven't said what kind of motor it is, or what connectors and wires it has, either, or the results of the suggested test if it is a brushed motor).

Back