Proper Middrive Shifting technique?

How do you guys shift your middrive bikes? I don't shift underpower anymore while upshifting (I let off the throttle, shift, and get back on) but while downshifting I hold the throttle in a steady position and downshift without releasing it. I haven't had the chain slip or mash unless I accidentally give it more throttle while downshifting. How bad is that for my drivetrain? How do you guys do it? Only had my bike for a couple months so I'm still new to it

Depending on the rpm of your drivetrain, the motor and chain might have enough inertia to complete a shift while off the throttle.

When shifting under power, just hold the throttle to a lower rpm than whatever speed you are going, that way the whole system is freewheeling and not under stress.

Shifting under power in either direction is abusive to the chain and sprockets, and should be avoided whenever possible. The noise is worse when upshifting, but it's just as damaging when downshifting-- possibly even bending sprockets or dislodging chain pins.

Tommm said:
Depending on the rpm of your drivetrain, the motor and chain might have enough inertia to complete a shift while off the throttle.

When shifting under power, just hold the throttle to a lower rpm than whatever speed you are going, that way the whole system is freewheeling and not under stress.
yes I basically do this, I don't completely let off the throttle except while upshifting

Chalo said:
Shifting under power in either direction is abusive to the chain and sprockets, and should be avoided whenever possible. The noise is worse when upshifting, but it's just as damaging when downshifting-- possibly even bending sprockets or dislodging chain pins.

If I hold the throttle in a steady position though is it really shifting under power? Like if the bike is accelerating, then I decrease my throttle to the point where its not (I don't completely let off though) and then I make my downshift. If it was upshifting and I held the throttle in a study position though I can definitely see why it would be harmful. If I was at 60 percent throttle and I held it there, and I upshifted, the motor rpms would drop and the controller would try and get the bike to catch up to 60 percent of the the rev range again, and then it would slip the chain and bend sprockets and all. I don't see how this would be a problem with downshifting though because the motor rpm will go up? Unless I'm wrong. But I'm definitely not accelerating while shifting gears :D

speedyebikenoob said:
Chalo said:
Shifting under power in either direction is abusive to the chain and sprockets, and should be avoided whenever possible.

If I hold the throttle in a steady position though is it really shifting under power?

Yes. Modern gears are designed to be able to complete a shift under load, but it still puts sometimes damaging stresses on them. MTB riders often depend on their bikes being able to downshift when they're pedaling hard... and sometimes they break their chains or bend sprockets. That's how it goes.

A given steady throttle position may or may not cause a load to be on the chain, depending on how fast you're going, what type of throttle and what position it's in. But if letting up on the throttle would cause you to slow down, then yes, you are shifting under load. The chain and sprockets don't care how fast you're moving or whether you are accelerating or decelerating-- it only matters whether they are running with tension on the chain.

They're your toys. Break them if you like.

If you're using a bafang mid drive then I'd suggest you to just add a cheap shift sensor -> https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/8fj50a4

Chalo said:
speedyebikenoob said:
Chalo said:
Shifting under power in either direction is abusive to the chain and sprockets, and should be avoided whenever possible.

If I hold the throttle in a steady position though is it really shifting under power?

Yes. Modern gears are designed to be able to complete a shift under load, but it still puts sometimes damaging stresses on them. MTB riders often depend on their bikes being able to downshift when they're pedaling hard... and sometimes they break their chains or bend sprockets. That's how it goes.

A given steady throttle position may or may not cause a load to be on the chain, depending on how fast you're going, what type of throttle and what position it's in. But if letting up on the throttle would cause you to slow down, then yes, you are shifting under load. The chain and sprockets don't care how fast you're moving or whether you are accelerating or decelerating-- it only matters whether they are running with tension on the chain.

They're your toys. Break them if you like.

Hmm okay. Guess its time to change my shifting style I guess, better safe than sorry. I do want this bike to last.

Basically just make sure there's no tension on the driveline during the shift. You want things to be turning, but not under stress.

So for a downshift, you basically only need to slow it down enough to take the tension off your freewheel(s), because after the shift there will be even more "slack" and you'll have to speed it up after the shift to load things back up again.

Try to be gentle about hitting the throttle again after the shift, you just want to "bump" into the freewheel and then once all the slack is gone you can ham it.

Upshifting you want to give it lots of "slack" by slowing it down enough to remain unloaded after the shift. If you don't slow it down enough, once the gear shifts and the controller detects the lower speed it will apply full(ish) power to restore speed to match throttle position.

This will put lots of strain on everything, freewheels, internal gears, chain, cassette gears, etc. So you really want it turning just fast enough to complete the shift, then as with the downshift gently bump things back into tension and off you go.

It takes practice, and modern chains and gears will take an amazing amount of abuse without slipping or even making horrible noises, but it's going to wear things out.

I don't recommend a shift sensor, it will never be able to do as good of a job as a human with some practice and an understanding of what's going on mechanically.

I have found the best shifter configuration for my BBS02 bike to be a grip shifter on the left bar with thumb throttle on the right, with this I can coordinate things very well and shifting becomes second nature. I can do it very quickly without mashing up any parts.

dustNbone said:
Basically just make sure there's no tension on the driveline during the shift. You want things to be turning, but not under stress.

So for a downshift, you basically only need to slow it down enough to take the tension off your freewheel(s), because after the shift there will be even more "slack" and you'll have to speed it up after the shift to load things back up again.

Try to be gentle about hitting the throttle again after the shift, you just want to "bump" into the freewheel and then once all the slack is gone you can ham it.

Upshifting you want to give it lots of "slack" by slowing it down enough to remain unloaded after the shift. If you don't slow it down enough, once the gear shifts and the controller detects the lower speed it will apply full(ish) power to restore speed to match throttle position.

This will put lots of strain on everything, freewheels, internal gears, chain, cassette gears, etc. So you really want it turning just fast enough to complete the shift, then as with the downshift gently bump things back into tension and off you go.

It takes practice, and modern chains and gears will take an amazing amount of abuse without slipping or even making horrible noises, but it's going to wear things out.

I don't recommend a shift sensor, it will never be able to do as good of a job as a human with some practice and an understanding of what's going on mechanically.

I have found the best shifter configuration for my BBS02 bike to be a grip shifter on the left bar with thumb throttle on the right, with this I can coordinate things very well and shifting becomes second nature. I can do it very quickly without mashing up any parts.

Okay, I basically do this so I guess it's okay then. That's why I don't want a shift sensor, I don't want power to cut off completely when I'm trying to downshift and I'm about to go uphill, I like having control over it. I'm considering adding a shift sensor though and having a switch for turning it on and off for when other people want to ride my bike.

My Giant hybrid with the BBS01B 350W mid drive has a shift sensor installed on it. I only ride it in PAS mode, so I have no experience using it with the throttle, but it seems to function just fine. The brief power interruption during shifts doesn't really bother me personally. My 1000w 48V YESCOM eBay RHM seems to have some kind of shift sensor too, I've noticed the power will briefly cut out when shifting and then resume.

speedyebikenoob said:
dustNbone said:

Okay, I basically do this so I guess it's okay then. That's why I don't want a shift sensor, I don't want power to cut off completely when I'm trying to downshift and I'm about to go uphill, I like having control over it. I'm considering adding a shift sensor though and having a switch for turning it on and off for when other people want to ride my bike.

You could just unplug the gear shift connector when you don't want to use it, that what I've done with my throttle. I just used a couple of rubber caps to protect the ends. Of course doing it this way would require you to physically have to reconnect them each time, and may cause premature wear on the connection points over time.

Back