Programming the Bafang Ultra 1000W

joq3

10 mW
I think it is time to create a thread dedicated for programming the Bafang Ultra 1000W.
For reference, this is the default settings my new e-bike arrived with:
https://imgur.com/a/g9q2X4J
If this is standard for all Ultra's, I don't know, but it is a good reference point.

I will start off with a question:
If you have a 48V 21Ah battery, should you change the Low Battery protect setting? Or is 41V the correct value for this type of battery?
The reason I am asking is that this guide https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/ explains it like this:
"If you are running a 48v nominal pack you’ll want to set this a lot lower (like 38v) to keep the drive from shutting off when the pack still has a little juice in it."
How do I know if that is the type of battery I have?

The idea is to start asking and answering questions in this thread.

joq3 said:
I think it is time to create a thread dedicated for programming the Bafang Ultra 1000W.

I will start off with a question:
If you have a 48V 21Ah battery, should you change the Low Battery protect setting? Or is 41V the correct value for this type of battery?
The reason I am asking is that this guide https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/ explains it like this:
"If you are running a 48v nominal pack you’ll want to set this a lot lower (like 38v) to keep the drive from shutting off when the pack still has a little juice in it."
How do I know if that is the type of battery I have?

The idea is to start asking and answering questions in this thread.

Great idea!

We are building 2 custom bikes with a Bafang Ultra. After the first tests it became clear that we needed to adjust the LVC to 38volt on a 48v battery.

If we set it to 41v the cutoff kicks in way to soon. The BMS cutoff is tested at 37v.

I have also a question:
We have a 48v 21ah battery and after +-25km the battery gauge is yellow indicating a nearly empty battery. When yellow the motor is limited to max 1000watt.

But there is still 48v left in the battery! 48v is around 50%. Why is the gauge yellow and limiting the current to the motor?

So what is wrong here? I don't get it. What mileage do you get +-?

How did you test the BMS cutoff? I have a 48V 21Ah battery with built in BMS

joq3 said:

We connected 5 car lights (12v, 21 watt * 5) in series and measured the voltage when the BMS kicked in. It took 13,2hours.

jeron said:
joq3 said:

We connected 5 car lights (12v, 21 watt * 5) in series and measured the voltage when the BMS kicked in. It took 13,2hours.
What model of battery do you use?
I have the Reention Dorado battery that looks like this:
https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1ECmfaIvrK1Rjy0Feq6ATmVXa5/china-suppliers-Electric-bicycle-reention-48v-21ah.jpg
With no handle, and it is 48V 21Ah.

Thank you!

joq3 said:
jeron said:
joq3 said:

What model of battery do you use?
I have the Reention Dorado battery that looks like this:
https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1ECmfaIvrK1Rjy0Feq6ATmVXa5/china-suppliers-Electric-bicycle-reention-48v-21ah.jpg
With no handle, and it is 48V 21Ah.

Thank you!

Like this:
Screenshot_20190509-205835_Firefox.jpg

spinningmagnets said:
jeron, what was the pack voltage at the point of LVC (13,2 hours of drain)?

Like i said: at 37v the BMS shut it down.

Sinbord1981 said:
I’ve just read up a lot on battery charging / discharging (and do have a degree in electronics from many years ago but sadly not used the knowledge in a long time but I still remember the basics). In these packs it seems the nominal cell voltage is 3.7V but they will initially charge to 4.2V per cell. So on your “48V” battery, which consists of 13s separate cells, it will initially charge to 13x4.2 -ish (=54.6V). Nominal is 13x3.7 (=48.1V). The recommendation is to not discharge below 20% of the battery amp hour capacity, which roughly equates to around 3.3V per cell. So LVC should be set to 42.9V for the pack. To drive it down lower than this risks the longevity of the battery and worst case scenario, the pack catching fire/exploding when you recharge. It is that serious with Lithium Polymer batteries.

Conversely for the “52V” packs, which consist of 14s cells, they will initially charge to 58.8V, nominal is 51.8V and LVC should be set to 46.2V to give a degree of margin. What I read suggested you’re going to get little more juice out of it after the voltage drops below 46.2V.

These packs do have in-built battery monitoring/management systems (BMS) and no matter how low you go setting the LVC on the bike’s controller, this will limit the voltage you can take the pack down to anyway for that extra level of protection. The BMS in the battery will also help to load balance the individual cells when charging to prevent any one cell spiking to over 4.2V.

When I get the batteries for my AM1000 tomorrow (they are the 52V 17.5ah ones) I’m going to read off all the controller values to start with () using the cable & software Frey provided) and keep a record of them and just see how the bike performs and how far it will go before I contemplate changing anything. Useful information to know though in terms of what all the parameters do.

Have fun and ride hard!

Wat was the default LVC setting on the bike controller?

Sinbord1981 said:
Razerr said:
Wat was the default LVC setting on the bike controller?

41V.

After I had the bike shut down on me the other day, I rode the last 2 miles home without any assistance (and it wa up a hill!). The battery measured 43.4V and an hour later it then read 44.8V so it had recovered a bit on its own before I started to charge it again.

It makes me think that the 41V setting on the co troller is lower than the battery’s own LVC since it measures higher.
Can't you just turn in off and on again?? I know it's possible when the controller LVC kicks in.

Hi Guys,

In a effort to make the power more linear throughout the 9 power levels i calculated the following.

So the original settings in my motor are like this:
Tgwhw0u.jpg

I am using 55v as battery voltage for the power calculation (i have a 52v nominal battery). I know its not very accurate, just a indication.

So, after riding +-100km i find assist level 1 way to much and i want to bring it down a bit. I am used to riding a 250watt Bosch motor, so my initial power demands are based on wattage. Because i find it easier to think in watt than in % from the total amp...

I was think about something like this:
XE7hjmv.jpg

What do you guys think? Did you change the settings?

Nice topic, would love to see some data from the AM1000 topic here so we could make a nice linear power settings for this drive.

Im keeping an eye on this one!

I did a 60km trip with it and I liked the settings. I used PAS 1,2 and 3 the most and 4,5 for when I needed a bit more speed. I am curious what you guys think of it?

I am using 9 PAS levels for fine control.

Hi All,
Can someone tell me the steps to connect the programming cable to the bike ?
I have a Bafang Ultra with Reetion battery pack, that mean no power ON/OFF button on the battery, no key... ON/OFF is on the display commande.
Steps : (?)
1-remove battery
2-Plug programming cable
3-re_plug battery
4-play whith software
5-unplug battery
6-remove programming cable
7-plug battery back

I'm right ?
Thanks.

Jeron which display comes with your ultra that allows you to use 9 levels pas?

And are you still happy with the programming you listed here?

cvin said:
Jeron which display comes with your ultra that allows you to use 9 levels pas?

And are you still happy with the programming you listed here?

I am using the eggrider. Yes i am still using the same programming!

-JFK- said:
Hi All,
Can someone tell me the steps to connect the programming cable to the bike ?
I have a Bafang Ultra with Reetion battery pack, that mean no power ON/OFF button on the battery, no key... ON/OFF is on the display commande.
Steps : (?)
1-remove battery...

For me it works without all the battery disconnecting stuff. Have a DCP18 though.
If you have problems with the connection from the PC see this: https://electricbike.com/forum/foru...cate-with-bafang-controller-please-help/page2, post #19

Hope to help
Cheers

Dear all

Has someone figured out more details of the meaning of the values in the Bafang programming software for the original controller?
Today I tryed to find out what the Spd levels mean by setting the values for each "Spd" column to no assist, except the one to test to massive assist. See the picture, as an example for the Spd40 testSpeed Test Sample.PNG.

I found the settings do only apply in the "Sport" mode. "Eco" mode is not changed at all.

I found the following speed ranges, which make somehow sense for a 25km/h bike.
Spd0 does nothing
Spd20: 1-7km/h
Spd40: 6-14 km/h
Spd60: 14-19 km/h
Spd80: 16-23 km/h
Spd100: 22-47 km/h

I want to use mine for 45 km/h. I figured there is only one setting possible above 22 km/h. Is there a way to spread this speed levels more evenly (linear) over the whole speed range up to 45km/h?

I have the DCP18 Display on a freshly bought FREY HT1000

Thanks for your help

Interesting that they bleed it in from 0 to 25km/h. That actually makes sense because you probably want more refinement as you're building up speed. Once you're up to 15+ mph you probably don't need the torque sensing to be more or less responsive at 20 mph or 25 mph.

Just finished the testing to find which assist levels in the programming tool correspond to wich assist level in the display. It is quite different to what I have read about the BBSHD etc! The throttle power is not affected by the assist levels.
Mapping.PNG
To get a better spread of the power I assigend some power even to the Assist level 0. If I want to ride without motor, I'll switch the display off. My Basic map looks like so for the moment:
Assist Level Values.PNG
The test was done by switching of all assist levels except the one tested (see image below). Be careful with the 100% poewr setting. I tested on a stable bikestand with rear wheel in the air!
Assist Level Sample.PNG

Some great testing smov.
Two quick questions in case you’ve also looked at the Torque tab settings:
- is the power delivery between MinCur and MaxCur linear, depening on the pressure between StartKg and FullKg? What I mean is, if you have a StartKg of 20kg and a FullKg of 50kg, can the controller only deliver either MinCur or MaxCur power, or somewhere in between as well, if the pedal pressure is say 30kg?
- if you set ReturnKg to 0, does this mean that the motor keeps running, even if you stop pedalling (potentially dangerous and reliant on the brake sensor working - if you have one), or does it still require for the pedals to turn (ie ghost pedalling without much/any pressure)?

Thanks for clarifying!

Back