E-S LMX 64 Bike Owners

Cowardlyduck

Staff member
A number of us on E-S have orders in for LMX 64 Bikes and they should all start arriving soon so I think it's time for a dedicated owners thread.

For those who don't know, this is the original thread for orders, and some other details:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96809

The full bike specs are as follows:

Frame specifiactions and standards
Headset standard : Top ZS56 Bottom ZS44
Reccomended fork travel :
160-180mm single crown with 34-36mm ("High" shock position)
200mm dual crown ("low" shock position)
Shock : 200x50mm (160mm travel) 200x57 (180mm travel)
Max shock diameter supported: 55mm
Eylets/bushings : 22x8mm top and bottom
32h rear hub, 203mm rear disc and IS to PM203 adapter required
Flip chip in the shock mount to adjust geometry by 1° for head tube and 8mm for BB height
65° head tube angle in High position with 160mm fork
76° seat tube angle
340mm bottom bracket height with 160mm fork in high position
660mm reach in L size
610mm reach in M size
170mm cranks by default (165mm also available on request)
30.9mm seat tube diameter
125mm dropper seatpost reccomended. Shorter riders may want to opt for a 100mm one. TransX external cable routing model reccomended

Control and power systems
12 mosfet controller with high phase amps from Nucular
System designed for 2000W+ peak power
Motor tested for 1500W mechanical for 50 minutes at 80% of max RPM
Temp sensor : KTY84
Max motor temp recommended 135°C
12t and 14t motor sprockets available

Support channels

Workshop phone : +33981683148 French business hours Monday to Friday, French and English spoken
Contact @ lmxbikes . com
LMX owners group on facebook : https://www.facebook.com/groups/LMX.Owners
Nucular electronics wiki : http://nucularelectronics.wikidot.com/en:start
Nucular users group on telegram : https://web.telegram.org/#/im?p=@nucularelectronics_en

Post up your photos, share & discuss. :bigthumb:

I'll start things off with my kit order that just arrived today...

My frame arrived in amazing time from France. Less than a week, door to door. 8)

DSC_5355 (Medium).JPG

Frame was very well padded:
DSC_5356 (Medium).JPG
DSC_5357 (Medium).JPG

Almost everything looks in order and the frame looks amazing. They gave me blue even though I never got a response when asking for that colour so that's awesome as I was half expecting the default orange or straight black.
DSC_5358 (Medium).JPG
DSC_5359 (Medium).JPG

The only issue is the rear triangle was jammed into the frame so dam hard pulling it out left these deep gouges in the opening. :(

DSC_5360 (Medium).JPG
DSC_5361 (Medium).JPG
DSC_5362 (Medium).JPG

I will email LMX asking if they can do anything for me, but I'm not terribly fussed either way as it's an area that doesn't really get seen once a shock is in there and I can easily touch it up.

***EDIT***
LMX has since offered to compensate me for this with some spare parts.

Now it's time for me to start selecting components. I haven't given it much thought as yet, but will probably go with some 180mm rockshox domain up front, DNM in the rear, Magura MT4/5 brakes and SRAM shifter/cassette.

What are others planning/going to run for components on their kit bikes?

Cheers

Thanks for the thread! I will watch this space and help during assembly or use of the bikes.
Sent you an email regarding the transport issues.
Adam

CD that blue looks amazing, great choice. What's the rim width?
Component wise I'll probably run a Sun Ringle Duroc 35 front (30mm), spare 180mm Rockshox lyric, used 57mm Fox CTD, TRP brakes supplied by LMX,11-46 cassette with SLX shifter and mech.
Better turn my attention to a battery.

Merlin said:
if you wanna 240mm DNM on the rear, i would sell from my LMX161 if you want.
Thanks! But yeah won't fit as Adam said.

bzhwindtalker said:
Thanks for the thread! I will watch this space and help during assembly or use of the bikes.
Sent you an email regarding the transport issues.
Adam
Thanks Adam. Appreciate the support.
I noticed you have quite a few posts and was curious so I had a look back in time on ES...wow you've come a looooong way!
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8441
file.php

Was this the beginning of the road that lead to LMX?

Rube said:
CD that blue looks amazing, great choice. What's the rim width?
Component wise I'll probably run a Sun Ringle Duroc 35 front (30mm), spare 180mm Rockshox lyric, used 57mm Fox CTD, TRP brakes supplied by LMX,11-46 cassette with SLX shifter and mech.
Better turn my attention to a battery.
Thanks!
Not sure on the rim width, will measure when I can, but maybe Adam knows?

Those component choices sound sane and I might copy you on the cassette choice. I guess the single front chain-ring means the widest possible rear cassette is sensible.

For the battery I have about 65 Sanyo 18650GA's left from other recent battery builds, so I might get a few more and do a small Hailong 14S5P pack to start with.

I plan to make a larger pack at some stage, maybe using 21700 cells and a 3D printed pack design to fit the largest possible capacity I can. This will take time, and my immediate priority is to build the bike and get it up and running with a standard battery first.

I'm gonna take my time building this bike. I have no parts yet (apart from the 65 cells mentioned above), and want to make sure it's spot on with what I want as I'm likely to keep this bike for a long time and don't really want to keep changing it after it's done.

Cheers

haha can't belive the photo is still online :)
That was a high scool project using a kollmorgen 24v brushless drive unit. Those motors were very similar in form factor and construction to the ones we use now on the 64 ;)

I think it's awesome to see the steps and progress you and your team have made over the years and because it's all still in the public forum really proves you've done the research and development over many years to reach this point.

So many other companies just appear out of nowhere and have no history or proof that they can back their product.
So far it seems to me like LMX really know's what they're doing! Keep up the good work!

I've updated the first post with the bike specs for others (like me) who keep forgetting them or don't know yet.

I think the first part I should look to lock in and buy is the front fork. I know it's a tapered fork, but stupid question...are all tapered forks the same or is it a specific size?

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
For the battery I have about 65 Sanyo 18650GA's left from other recent battery builds, so I might get a few more and do a small Hailong 14S5P pack to start with.

Just remember to get a proper BMS with minimum 40amps continuous rating.
Most of the BMS suited for Hailong is 30 amps.!

I orderd the Lmx64 with Rockshox Lyrik fork, Vivid R2C rear shock and Magura MT7 brakes.
I think this setup will fit the bike nicely:)

TorEddy said:
Just remember to get a proper BMS with minimum 40amps continuous rating.
Most of the BMS suited for Hailong is 30 amps.!
Nah I hate Battery Murdering Systems. I prefer to have balance leads (or better yet an aggregated parrallel breakout board) and run multiple battery medics for balancing while charing occasionally if needed. I am the BMS. :)
This also gives more room for batteries in the case. :D

TorEddy said:
I orderd the Lmx64 with Rockshox Lyrik fork, Vivid R2C rear shock and Magura MT7 brakes.
I think this setup will fit the bike nicely:)
I might follow suit with the Lyrik fork. Looks like Rockshox don't make the Domain RC any more and the Lyrik looks pretty good.
Now I just need to decide between 170 and 180mm.

How much am I likely to screw up the geometry by going above the stock 160mm? Should I go slightly higher in the rear to compensate?

Cheers

Great idea on a build thread. Can't wait to see your bike coming together. The blue color is very nice.
My own LMX64 is under shipping, hopefully it will arrive at the end of the week.

Greetings

Yes blue is pretty. gotta love this bikes. I am happy for you that you got it, im gonna get it on the next batch.
This is the future

Thanks guy's.

Yeah I usually just go with black, but this time I decided to try blue and glad I did as I really like the way it turned out also.

I have a lot of other in-progress project I must get finished before I can start on the LMX, but I will start buying parts in that time.

Further to my last question about the fork length effecting goemetry, if I do go with a 170mm fork (which is what I'm thinking) will I be better off going with a direct mount headset, or would a small extension be better at that point?

Cheers

bzhwindtalker said:
Yes they will fit, but make sure to get a 110mmx15mm boost wheel
Thanks Adam.
Turns out bike24 won't ship forks to Australia any more, so I ended up buying from the US via ebay instead:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/273720850996
It's a slightly older model (2016), but was one of the more reasonably priced options I could find. I don't fancy spending over $1000AUD on forks, but the options are therefore quite limited for something half decent.

Now to source some more parts. I want to get the parts to at least make this thing roll soon...

I'm doing a good job confusing myself trying to figure out if these parts will fit ok...anyone know if this headset will work?
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=116193
116193_00_c.jpg

Whats confusing me is all the options with cup length etc?
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?conten...::0:1|13439::0:15416,,13477::0:13487|||||2|||

Also in terms of the rear shock...if I'm going with 180mm in the front, should I also increase the rear shock length a bit? There are plenty of 216mm x 63mm options, but does that mess with the geometry too much?
This Cane creek rear shock looks good to me:
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=162879
162879_00_c.jpg

Do I go with the open end eye option?

Cheers

I'm not sure how much shock lenght will affect geometry, but Adam wrote 'This bike needs a 200*57 or 200*51 with 22*8mm bushings.'
16mm longer shock might change geometry a bit, but could maybe work with more sag?? (and the flip chip in low setting)

With my shock it was a problem with the rockshox spring beeing 3,5mm bigger in diameter than the DNM spring. LMX made it work though, by probably flipping the shock around.
K_GToNro8hyC5ATEMwEZYY9R9VTvEoRxSoS1wVEJpX76KoFqLBIC7RENBOG4XAlmLzrkyNKkeeSgM6h9Ip6RQnoYVVU4_oqjtc84JuY8srQXM4o9yh3NnPUS0WSs8_ySCtsl5Nax0O3TbS_ib4VUOqzinLxmDTc8vhR7d_95RAGj_u5zIrJiPqo4cwgnL33BT7f2_-i2BQxCIHryC_BOPl6AX0xT_O7VrcuIWZ1sWq2NMKH0L04T6kA9lt8hl2eTkgAAE-UyhfUm-yh8ikwh5D-gJl3HHyzEhMpoAKm2kpnj4qoHmGLEyO0FkIAf88EXi2YZY6ORZeN0UUNcnK5Xy9FoBMbpGFY-7p9iRmiEDg1EangZFkv_taRqFuR0NQprSmOyERDmSgdTdu8jsQsPFkFFMqnS-razxQDpf-PcF6ZCatDdUO0tDtRm2JV42BXfq04rUMyJCKZNQd9XW6xkTUDhPm9zdEO_D2PiHlrJPb2MKJUzp_rJxWKhvCcfdToFxgXG2H28ia_L2W959-fR_3b-GROV7rPT85qioUzcVoh741iW50JfbltDG1vIc4Z3acjJFV5Vi3hkiZ9wNGZ3R_yy-Mh04wabj1HISdLIvyNzcV51J8ilN-mo6m7YnFmWUbeCjGcV9wtqqTxMFSJCqH31VbdzUYIe--lky7mkKVagu2EZA5VGAi_bLGV4Qw5bBXCSyyVNkNbsjvSaAA6uDfoEfw=w3363-h1756-no

My bike have not arrived yet, but it must be days now... did not receive a notice from forwarder, but status says shipped over a week ago.

Thanks TorEddy. That's some info I must have missed from Adam previously.

I can't see why 216mm x 63mm wouldn't work, but is it even necessary? I noticed reading the manual today that it specifies 180mm forks anyway. So that makes me think 180mm forks with 200mm x 57mm shock might be the best fit anyway. My only concern is excessive pedal strike which I've encountered before from lifting the front too high and not changing the rear to accommodate the change.

Another unrelated question I have probably more for Adam...I powered up the controller using a 6S pack and it would turn on and looked ok, but then powered off after a few seconds. I then tried using a 42V charger and it stayed powered up properly until I turned it off.
What is the low voltage cutoff or what is the lowest recommended voltage on these?

I also noticed that when the controller turns off, there are a bunch of lines running vertically down the screen that fade away. Is that normal? It looks like it could be a fault, but not sure.

Cheers

Does anyone run single speed?
What would be the best conversion adapter / kit

Back