Lower back pain and bikes

LeftieBiker

100 kW
I find that riding upright helps my bad back a lot, but you have to get the angles right. I reversed the steering stem to put the bars farther back toward me. If you are still having to lean forward to grab the higher bars, that may be the problem...

Sitting up straight on a bike directs all the shocks and vibrations straight into your spine. I find a balanced position with a moderately leaned-forward back angle and some weight on my hands is best for comfort.

You say you lowered the seat?
I guess it is too low now. If you cannot stretch your legs at the lowest point of the crank's revolution you use the wrong muscles the wrong way which may cause pain. It will destroy your knees for sure.

Another guess is you're sitting too upright now. On very unsuspended bikes (no rear suspension and rock hard tires) an absolute upright sitting position will actually strain you back more than a little forward position of about 30°.

I first wrecked my back 25 years ago, and not being insured, had to heal myself. Along the way I learned a few things.

First one is the biggie. Your back is telling you what works and what does not. I was truly amazed to find some people need to bend a little, and some a lot, to be comfortable. You gotta do what works for you. Your back will very quickly tell you what it does not like.

My injury, and most I have heard of, responds best to the standing at attention position, sitting or standing. As if I had a stout brace on. Wore one for a time, till I got stronger muscles around my kidneys. My injury means if my muscles don't lift my lower back up, my L3 disk will twist 10 degrees, and then it grinds on nerves. I can flex muscles and hyperextend my back in nearly any position, but it still works best in straight up, or lying down posture. For this reason, I need a very upright position on a bike, to ride for more than one hour. I sit very tall in a car seat too, for any kind of long drive. I can't tilt that seat back way back like I liked when I was young.

When I started e bike commuting, I was spending two hours a day on the bike, and quickly found I needed a tall seat, for too low would start putting a lot of strain on the knees. Then the bars were too low, so I went to bmx bars that had a lot of rise. All this also on full suspension bikes, which also helped reduce the shock on my lower back, letting my back muscles not have to work quite as hard. These bikes were teen size cheap bikes that did not fit my long legs, so the fit was poor from the get go. Later, I upgraded my bike to a more adult size, and could go back to a bmx bar, but one with some rise in it. Then even later, I got into long tail bikes. Really, even without a back injury, a proper long bike helps a lot. On traditional bikes, the seat is too close to being over the rear wheel, and all the bumps go right up the seatpost. The seat is constantly jarring nearly straight up unless the bike has rear suspension. But on the longtail, the seat is nearly centered between the two wheel axles. On a bump, the front wheel goes up, and the saddle merely rocks back. This is true on any bike. Then on longtails, when the rear wheel hits that bump, it just rocks the saddle forward. No jarring of the spine. Sure, you will still feel a big pothole, but road cracks just gently rock the saddle back and forth, instead of jarring your ass up and down 3 inches.

Bottom line, find the bike that works with your particular back issue, and work on your core strength. I used to hang from a chin up bar and just do crunches. It was as good for my back as a hundred buck trip to the chiropractor. As for the bike, try everything. Some swear by recumbents, and I get that idea too. But the bent just does not do my back any good, for me, standing tall on the pedals still works best, with my ass only barely sitting on the saddle. By pedaling, I keep little of my weight on the actual saddle. You will likely need something different, just find what works good for you.

I'll agree that no rear suspension can be bad, and I should have mentioned adding a properly adjusted suspension seat post as I have - no need for full suspension in most cases. As for riding posture, it really does depend on the individual. The earlier advice about trying various changes is good. I'd add to that trying the steering stem reversal as well. It will help you figure out if you need to be bolt upright or leaning slightly forward.

One thing I like about my cruiser, is the very backswept bars on the bike. Or you can tilt tall bmx bars back. Either way, a different set of handlebars is a very cheap modification to do. Steel bars are not expensive, and then you just need a set of brake and shift cables that are longer. Bell makes an affordable kit of all the cables you see at walmarts and such. Not the greatest cable sheaths, but they do fine for cheaper bikes. Bike shops can likely cut you any length you need of better cable and sheath.

Hey hey hey what about this.

Full Suspension Bicycle + Suspension Seat Post + Fat Bike using 4" tires

???? +back brace ????

Have been trying different setups so I can spend more time biking. had a 26" front spring forks could not stay on it long. bought a front suspension large frame 29er better then full suspension 29er but the frame is smaller. The draw back is keeping a lot of weight on my wrists causes pain. trying out a recumbent trike, right off I can stay on longer with no pain and feel good when I get off.

Back pain from riding a bike, is caused by improper size and/or cockpit adjustments.

People don’t realize that bikes need to be set to their personal dimensions, according to terrain and riding style. Then, once it is set properly, you still can experience pain for a while if you are not used to spend time riding.

dogman dan said:
I first wrecked my back 25 years ago, and not being insured, had to heal myself. Along the way I learned a few things.

How did you wreck it?

My back pain comes from the 17yrs doing oil well servicing and drilling and the accident that ended that profession. Was doing good then went down hill 10yrs ago. laying down is best but walking, setting in a chair hurts, yes tried lots of different chairs. So the right position low impact peddling is great except the wrist hurt after a while on an upright (must be all the weight put on them).

Mine from 50+ yrs riding... everything, hoses, bulls, rd and dirt bikes, women... not in that particular order of preference. My fs commuter ebike by far the best of them all for my old loins.

It took me 5yrs before working again with a bad limp. Starting riding bicycle to work after 6 months my limp went away.
That bicycle was stolen, ten years before picking up another bike now that was 8-9yrs ago but this year want to stop driving or owing a car. When my leaf's battery gets bad enough hope to have these bikes figured out. Can not walk more than a block or ride in a car very far so here I am throwing together E-bikes of different types to see what can be ridden and how far. My back feels good right after riding, don't know if it's the exercise or just getting out mentally. The tadpole trike I really like so far.

Perhaps we should make a distinction between a healthy persons back pain, and the pain of somebody who crushed his back. The healthy guy will still need a good fit on his bike, no doubt. But the crushed back wont ride without a good fit. He cant. The healthy guy can massage out a strained muscle, the crushed back guy is tied in a knot for a day or two after a bad ride. Will need a trip to the back doc if he can't pop it back himself.

Mine got crushed framing houses, but oddly enough, the actual injury happened when I bent to pick up a pencil I dropped. I literally got stuck bent over when the disc blew. Thought that was only a cartoon thing. But the disk had been bulging for years of course. I worked through daily back pain for at least 5 years before it blew out for good. My back lasted just about 10 years longer than others in the class of 76 age group that went into heavy construction. I tried to work a bit smarter that the others. Guys I know that went to the oil patch, they burnt out in a year for the most part. Only the very strongest lasted longer there.

Anyway, a healthy guy who is fit can ride a poorly fitted bike for years. He'll hurt, but not too much unless he rides a century or something. My back, I last about 5 miles on a bad bike before I start to really suffer. Now that I'm back to pedaling a bike a lot, I only last about 4-6 miles on average before I tire out. But I only ride that road bike because it fits me perfect. My dirt ride for pedal only fits me well too, but I did have to raise its bars, to handle the bigger bumps with my back. The dirt ride must have very good suspension. no walbike FS, no way. No genesis.

Motorized, I hit those road bumps a lot faster, and I must have the upright position of a cruiser, and the long tail so my seat just rocks, and never hops up and down at all. Off road motor bike, again, a decent FS MTB. But even with that, my back just won't tolerate too hard riding, too fast. No hucks, no blasting down a rock staircase. I ride more like trials off road, than MX.

Perhaps we should make a distinction between a healthy persons back pain, and the pain of somebody who crushed his back.

I think the second most common group (after healthy backs) is the people like me with chronic but not extreme back issues. I injured my back when I was about 22, lifting a Foosball table for free games. (They sure as hell weren't free in the final analysis!) I've seen a chiropractor off and on ever since, and at 60 my back still works. I can tolerate an uncomfortable bike for a few minutes, but the pain isn't far behind if I stay on one. I have had good luck with reversed steering stems and suspension seat posts. I still can't ride for more than maybe two hours at a go, but since I don't walk that well (unrelated leg issues) the e-bikes are my only real exercise and physical recreation.

My back isn't as bad as some, but it goes out once or twice a year. It went out a week before my daughter's wedding and I was stuck in a chair unable to help with the preparations. My wife was pissed at me because it went out during a run and she thought it was somehow my fault. I have had it go out just bending over to get something out of the cupboard, so I don't think exercising was something to avoid before the wedding. Anyway, I have found that as long as I can get my leg over the bike I am able to ride it even when I can barely walk. My rides are less than two hours. Most of my bikes have dropbars, but I have the tops of the handlebars around saddle height or maybe slightly higher.

Been reading a lot of "dogman dan" post and figure if he can do it I can. Never realized so many people rode bikes with bad backs. I'm hoping to do some distance riding if this all works out. My legs are sore not my back, must be getting close on what works for me. I know this is not the thread for this, with that said dogman dan did you ever get forks on your trike that you are happy with. I have a steel hardtail I enjoy riding and putting a front motor on it need to change out the forks on it for a couple of reasons.

It really is a "what works for you" kind of a thing. I tore a disk in August and rode around standing up. I tore it again in December, even worse then in August. In and out of the emergency room a few times. Couldn't get my foot high enough to get on the bike until March. (I had to walk it to a curb have the bike in the street and me on the sidewalk to get on or off.) Rode around standing up until recently. Upright and slow works for me, unless I need to go faster then I just stand on the pedals and try to avoid bumps.

:D :bolt:

Doing whatever works is a good idea, as long as you know the posture is good. Perhaps a bike fitment session is in order, not sure where you'd go for one as the bike fitments I've seen on the boobutube seem scientific. Never seen no fitment dohicky in no bicycle store.

Get a semi recumbent bike. Problem solved.
and/or what madrhino said about bicycle fitment. Also super important.

For you.

There is a realllllly good reason I barely ever ride my semi recumbent. and then for about 2 miles max. It hammers my back better than hanging sheetrock. Good bike when the wind is blowing 30 mph though.

Everybody has to find what works for them. And in the process, do try a bent. Its the bees knees for many riders with back pain. For me, its not. I basically need to ride a bit like I did when young, standing the pedals. I sit on the saddle, but with most of my weight on my feet, pretty upright. Pedal forward not as good, and a bent just kills me. Bend me over, and my spine starts doing that twist. In a car, I sit like I'm at attention. Only thing saving me is incredible core strength. I can pop my back into place sitting at a stop light.

Trike forks, that must be Amberwolfs trike. I helped him weld the frame on it years ago.

dogman dan said:
.....I sit on the saddle, but with most of my weight on my feet, pretty upright.......

+1!
My bending now comes along with physical therapy and the kind of exercise that isn't pounding my spine into anything. If someone uses their spine as a hammer, it doesn't last anywhere as long as they need it to.

Most people remark that semi/full recumbents are the answer for the back. Of course, your mileage may vary. My back loves it, but since strengthening my core, i can do upright, forward, recumbent, whatever.. but recumbent feels the best.

Since we are not quadrupeds, it is less natural to be in this position:

road-biking-guide-01-fiss616.jpg

A quadriped's spine is designed to handle this very well. Us? not so much.

It's very likely that the not so aerodynamic position of the dutch cruiser would feel a lot better, although it reduces the control your upper body can exert significantly and raises your center of gravity, so going fast in that position is not a great idea.

neptronix said:
........A quadriped's spine is designed to handle this very well. Us? not so much.........

When I had my beach front apartment, I used to get on the bike path early in the morning and ride my road bike at least 150 miles per week. Sometimes more, like 85 in a day. In that position your neck really takes a beating not to mention your prostate and tail bone.

:D :bolt:

Back