EV Global

bmurph44

1 µW
Hello first time poster. I was recently given an EV Global ebike from a friend of my wife whose husband passed away, it's in like new condition except you guessed it it needs a battery. Full disclosure I have no electrical knowledge, I'm looking for a way to convert the old battery pack to lithium. Is there anyone that can do this for me for a reasonable price?

bmurph44 said:
Hello first time poster. I was recently given an EV Global ebike from a friend of my wife whose husband passed away, it's in like new condition except you guessed it it needs a battery. Full disclosure I have no electrical knowledge, I'm looking for a way to convert the old battery pack to lithium. Is there anyone that can do this for me for a reasonable price?

It is quite easy to wire up a battery to a controller. There are 3 big phase wires, 5 thin sense wires for sensored, and only 3 big phase wires for sensorless, and of course 2 wires for a battery. You'd also need a charger for your battery.

www.em3ev.com in China
www.ebikes.ca in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Of course there is another route to take, which is buy tool pack or yard machine battery from Home Depot like the EGO 54V packs, buy the charger, then figure out a way to secure the connections.

Another company that builds battery is....
OSN Power on Aliexpress/Alibaba
Unit Pack Power on same web sites

Like I said, its quite easy to swap out the old battery and install a new battery.
Please take some photos of your ebike's battery connection to the controller so we can have a clearer understanding.

No need for a new controller, unless a new battery does not fix it.

EV globals are 24v or 36v, and brushed motors. In some ways, your easiest thing to do is keep the lead. Open the original battery pack, and then replace the lead with new cells. Easy to do, or if you don't feel up to it, take it to a Batteries Plus, and they will put new lead in the box. Then you can also still use the original onboard charger.

That will work fine if your use pattern is not a real long ride, like 6 mile trips or so.

You can replace the battery with any 24v or 36v ( whichever you have) lithium battery for bikes, but typically it wont fit exactly in the original pack. So you have to get into the bikes wiring to connect some new wire to the controller, and a plug that will reach your battery carrying location. Usually, that's on a rear rack top for an EVG. Charger will be what comes with the bike, but no longer onboard.

If you want to do that, you have to get into the bikes wiring. Down on the bottom of the frame, there is the two contacts that the battery box contacts connect on. You'd get into there, and attach new wire to the wires leading to those two contacts. Red positive, black negative. The new wire would then go to your new battery on the rack.

Thanks to all that replied, I do have the 36 volt maybe the Batteries Plus option is the way to go but I was just looking for a better battery than the old lead dinosaur.

If it helps, there's a number of threads about these including some conversions to lithium:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=evg&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&keywords=global&sf=titleonly

Stopped in to Batteries Plus today, they were able to put together a battery pack consisting of two 12 volt and two 6 volt batteries that fit in the case perfectly, total cost was 125 dollars. I'll get out and take it for a ride tomorrow.

Thanks again to all that took the time to reply!

Back