Marathon Plus MTB HS 468
Marathon Plus.jpg

Smart Sam Plus HS 476
Smart Sam HS 476
smart sam 2.jpg
Smart sam plus 1.jpg

Magic Mary Bike Park is one less in durability and protection

Eddy Current rear is good too

Schwaalbe had made very few soft gum tires. Most of their tires are designed for lasting rather than sticking. I don’t ride them for that reason: too dangerous for the power and speed that I ride.

Ya your still on bicycle wheels, I had quite an ordeal yesterday. Two flats, because of the bicycle tires bead. Flats all the time on bicycle wheels. Canadian Tire bicycle tire, plus 3 inner tubes with slime in them, is a pretty penny, $50cdn in all. Fat bike will be mc rims/tubes/tires. I cant imagine what fat tires and fat tubes cost, plus no so readily available.

My last go with bicycle tires will be a couple of the Marathon Plus 26's and if I still have problems, mc all the way.

Well, some places we call flat-a-day. So happy not living there. :wink:
Then, some people we call flat-a-day, where everyone else makes none. :mrgreen:

How about 3-flats-today?

It was a Schwalbe tire, smart sam - has very thin side walls. Better then the Crappy Tire tire that lasted an entire 3 or 4 maybe 5 days before above the bead broke about 3 or 4". Did the swap the front tire onto the back, and rode 5km with a flat front with the CT tire, saved the rim!

markz said:
How about 3-flats-today?

It was a Schwalbe tire, smart sam - has very thin side walls. Better then the Crappy Tire tire that lasted an entire 3 or 4 maybe 5 days before above the bead broke about 3 or 4". Did the swap the front tire onto the back, and rode 5km with a flat front with the CT tire, saved the rim!

All different? Sometimes people overlook the tire for embedded debris.

I always have to chime in on these threads because my only claim to fame is never having a flat tire. Obviously it's because I'm a super awesome rider and not just lucky. :mrgreen:

eta: I just went out of these Big Ben tires and wipedout. They suck in the rain. And at $45 a piece they're a rip off. They're OK in good weather but have zero traction in the rain.

These tires aren't engineered for shit. I doubt if they have anyone in house that knows anything about riding. Between these crappy tires and a set of 700c tires that don't fit I will never buy another Schwalbe product.

Garbage

They are bicycle tires for people who ride bicycles at bicycle speeds.
See what I did there?

I am currently running the Marathon in 47-406 on the kid's trailor, and in 47-622 on my wife's bike. I have the Marathon GT in 50-622 on my own bike, because it was on sale for 16EUR/pc, otherwise I hat the standard Marathon on mine too.

If you ride a common bike, let's say <25kg and <40kph, they are exceptionally good tires on any terrain.

The Big Ben is a tire for Cargo Bikes: heavy, slow bikes. They are not aiming at super human speeds. In Europe we slow down with our kids in the back.

If you build a motorcycle, get motorcycle tires.

Back story:

I rode 18km for an appointment, rained hard and hid under a tree. Can't do that all day, the rain slowed down. I was into the valley park and 1 or 2km away from being under the bridge when the hail came and it came hard. Hoody sweater + semi-light poly saved everything but the face. The chunks of hail hurt, and they hurt bad. Had to ride with my hand in front of my face. 100m from the bridge a fat. Hurt and annoyed and pissed off because of the hail, I was wet and a flat. I took my time replacing the tube dealing with the mud, while me another bicyclist and 2 cars waited under the bridge.

Got the 2nd tube in, and bam the echo was loud atleast it happened within a minute. Even more pissed off I knew. Found the break in the tire just over the bead. Took off the front tire, put onto back, new tube on back. Took my time now, inspect spoke threads, rim edges, inside tire. The slime was everywhere, some came out of valve and into pump. Still worked though. Inflated to the point where my finger can depress a bit but not too much psi.

Installed dud tire that was on the rear, now on the front, figured sacrifice the old tube, lasted for 1km at low psi. Thickness of knobs saved the rim, if I didnt turn too much. Made it to CT bought 26x1.95, 1x normal tube, 2x slime shit. Installed new tire + new tube onto front, good to go. Still got old Schwalbe on the back.

Here is the list of good tires from my search today on ES thats on a sheet of paper in front of me....

A+
Marathon Plus
Marathon Supreme
Panaracer RiBMo and T-Serv
WTB Thick Slick Flat Guard 26x2.0 or WTB Cruz Flat Guard for knobs
Continental Touring Plus
Panaracer Tourguard Plus
Kenda Kraze
3G Hoggy-G
Michelin Pilot City
CST Salvo
Pedis-Continental Country Plus on a 48H rim

Rims
Alex DM24 the best rim
Good rims DHL65 rim or DHL 101 rim
Spokes 14G or 14/15G dont use 12G

B+ rough ride quality
CST Crucible
Freedom Thick Slick
Specialized Armadillo
Trek Bontrager Hardcase

Seats
Cloud9 Metroline Airflow

Suspension Post
SR Suntour NCX, not a lot of travel but hd spring

Sources
JensonUSA
Niagara Cycle
Ebikestop
Aebike
Bens Cycle
Bikepartsdirect
Bikepartsusa
danscomp
and of course Amazon and ebay
for us Canadians, I'd stay with Amazon.ca for better s/h prices.

Using small, low thread tires does increase the chances of punctures. Bigger tires, wider rims, are letting you fill lower PSI, reducing significantly the occurence of flats. Some thread does help too, mud thread being the best, at the cost of noise and rolling resistance.

I always suggest using a 29+mm wide rim, and the widest tire that clears the frame. 4oz of green slime is a cheap and easy protection. Going tubeless and adding Cush Core foam inserts is expansive, and making it harder to mount tires, but gives the best protection and lowest maintenance. I usually recommend Cush Core inserts to trail riders, but some who have frequent flats on the streets would make their life easier with them.

Motorcycle wheels and tires are the last solution. Heavy and sometimes very hard to mount on the rim, motorcycle tire are resistant but taxing your ebike efficiency, braking and acceleration performance.

I used to carry old 5 1/4" floppy disk sleeves that were made out of Tyvek. The Tyvek can provide reinforcement for a compromised tire. It is thin, but tough. For 700c tires, the idea was to wrap the entire tube once or twice.

With such disk sleeves pretty rare these days, I now carry some large patches and 1" wide Gorrilla tape. Maybe I should look for a good source of Tyvek?

markz said:
Back story:

I rode 18km for an appointment, rained hard and hid under a tree. Can't do that all day, the rain slowed down. I was into the valley park and 1 or 2km away from being under the bridge when the hail came and it came hard. Hoody sweater + semi-light poly saved everything but the face. The chunks of hail hurt, and they hurt bad. Had to ride with my hand in front of my face. 100m from the bridge a fat. Hurt and annoyed and pissed off because of the hail, I was wet and a flat. I took my time replacing the tube dealing with the mud, while me another bicyclist and 2 cars waited under the bridge.

Got the 2nd tube in, and bam the echo was loud atleast it happened within a minute. Even more pissed off I knew. Found the break in the tire just over the bead. Took off the front tire, put onto back, new tube on back. Took my time now, inspect spoke threads, rim edges, inside tire. The slime was everywhere, some came out of valve and into pump. Still worked though. Inflated to the point where my finger can depress a bit but not too much psi.

Installed dud tire that was on the rear, now on the front, figured sacrifice the old tube, lasted for 1km at low psi. Thickness of knobs saved the rim, if I didnt turn too much. Made it to CT bought 26x1.95, 1x normal tube, 2x slime shit. Installed new tire + new tube onto front, good to go. Still got old Schwalbe on the back.

Here is the list of good tires from my search today on ES thats on a sheet of paper in front of me....

A+
Marathon Plus
Marathon Supreme
Panaracer RiBMo and T-Serv
WTB Thick Slick Flat Guard 26x2.0 or WTB Cruz Flat Guard for knobs
Continental Touring Plus
Panaracer Tourguard Plus
Kenda Kraze
3G Hoggy-G
Michelin Pilot City
CST Salvo
Pedis-Continental Country Plus on a 48H rim

Rims
Alex DM24 the best rim
Good rims DHL65 rim or DHL 101 rim
Spokes 14G or 14/15G dont use 12G

B+ rough ride quality
CST Crucible
Freedom Thick Slick
Specialized Armadillo
Trek Bontrager Hardcase

Seats
Cloud9 Metroline Airflow

Suspension Post
SR Suntour NCX, not a lot of travel but hd spring

Sources
JensonUSA
Niagara Cycle
Ebikestop
Aebike
Bens Cycle
Bikepartsdirect
Bikepartsusa
danscomp
and of course Amazon and ebay
for us Canadians, I'd stay with Amazon.ca for better s/h prices.
I ran the Marathon Pluses (26" X 2.0") for about a year and never cared for the "squirmy" feeling the extra thick thread imparted.
The local Performance Bike store had some WTB Thick Slick Flat Guard (26" X 2.0") which I tried and I luv them. They handle great and they seem to have hit on a good compromise of softness and durability. They have very little siping which makes them a street only tire. Unfortunately, they seem to be no longer available. (They are not to be confused w/ the reg. Thick Slicks, which are available).
My other bike, I laced on some Alex DM 24''s and I have not found any "flat guard" tires in the 24" X 2.4" size. Holly Roller's are wafer thin and I only use them on the frt. My default rear tire are Crazy Bob's, which have a stiffer, more durable carcuss . I mounted it "ghetto tubeless", which is a pain, but next time I will use a Kenda xtra thick tube.

The DM24 is not a 24" rim. it is available in 26" (559mm) and I think in 28" (622mm), too. The 24 refers to the inner width of 24mm.

I would like to add the Andra rims by Ryde to the list of robust rims. The Andra40 is rated for 180kg.

Back