How do i work out the range at 17 amp 58 v battery pulling a 1000 watt hours

If You pedal with the motor off, nearly unlimited.

If you are hauling 500 pounds up a steep hill, you can likely measure it in yards.

If you haven't found the simulator at ebikes.ca by now, then there are decent odds you will set yourself on fire and explode in less than 20 miles.

How fast, what motor, what terrain, what bike, and what weight, would all be required answers to even make a rough estimate, with how much pedaling and what kind of throttle discipline also important.

Weather conditions, temperature, and whether or not you keep your jacket zipped up are also factors.

Forgot to add battery chemistry and supplier, also charging parameters, as well.

Based of the plethora of data you have provided, a wild guess would be somewhere between 5 and 50 miles.

I agree with angry bob, The absolute biggest factor by far is "how much will I pedal", and a far second place is, "how steep are my hills?"

Best case scenario you are using a pedal-assist system (instead of a hand-throttle) on flat land. Worst-case is a hand-throttle on a steep hill. Even though you are coasting down the other side of the hill without pedaling, the total distance covered is hard on the battery.

I have a light mid-drive BBSHD, and a mix of flat land and mild hills. I easily get over one mile per Amp-hour, using only a hand-throttle. When I pedal along (most days), my battery never runs out, and when I get home I plug it in to charge 80%...

If the motor is rated at 1000 watts, it's not going to draw that amount all the time, so I'm going to throw that out the window.

I'm going to take a WAG by estimating 20 wh/mi. This is assuming that you are just cruising along and not going up big hills or making jackrabbit starts or riding at 30+ MPH and are doing some actual work pedaling.

I'm going to assume that your battery is 17Ah and the 58V is the fully charged voltage. Assuming a 10V drop over the discharge cycle, average battery voltage is 53V. 17 x 53 = 901WH

901 / 20 = 45 miles.

Warren

safe estimate 20 miles

And if the motor is really pulling an average of 1000 watts the entire time, and you have 900 WH available, then you can ride for .9 hours at whatever average speed it's pulling an average of 1000 watts at. That's 54 minutes which is probably realistic in your average riding environment.

www.recumbents.com said:
And I agree, safe estimate 20 miles.

My guess is 25 miles. If the motor is 80% efficient, then if it draws 1000 w, only 800 W is being used to propel the bike. Per the Grin simulator load graph, 800 watts is enough to propel the bike 27.6 mph. Since the battery only has enough energy to run the bike 0.9 hrs, then the at 27.6 mph, the bike would travel 24.84 mph in that amount of time.

Many "1000w" setups are closer to 1500w battery draw.

Your nominal capacity is probably closer to 850Wh: 3.6v / cell * 14 cells series * 17 amp hours.

If you ride <=20 mph, you can do 30+ miles. If you do max speed, others' estimate of 20 miles should be in the ballpark.

Range drops disproportionately fast the higher your speed or acceleration. Accelerate slowly and don't go fast to maximize range.

https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

Trip simulator with a google maps route of anywhere in N.A. and most if not all 1st world countries.
https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/trip-simulator.html

https://www.ebikes.ca/learn/batteries.html
Motor Type Rough energy usage
Minimal Assist (using motor only on hills, slower ~30kph setup) 6-8 Wh/km
Typical Assist (~40 kph with pedaling, motor on all the time) 9-12 Wh/km
Power Hungry (either no pedaling, or hauling a load, or going really fast) 14-20 Wh/km

https://www.ebikes.ca/learn/power-ratings.html

Between 30 and 60 miles depending on how you pedal and circumstances.

If you are a typical rider in typical conditions riding at speeds between 22-25 mph, I'd estimate about 44 miles.

A good rule of thumb for 48v is 3/4 amp hour per mile. That's riding at least 20 mph.

Pulling 1000w, you will be going about 30 mph, or more slowly up a hill. Either way, figure about 17 ah x 50v gets you 850 watt hours. so you will get less that one hour ride time. How far that is, depends on if you are going 15 mph up a hill or 30 mph on the flat. In any case, about 20-25 miles is as far as you go at 1000w rate.

As others said, infinite at lower rate of speed, plus your pedaling. At 15 mph, you could go 40 miles with lots of pedaling.

What you typically see though, is around 15-25 miles depending on wind, hills, and the total weight of you and the bike.

Wind resistance is expensive. Crank it up from 22mph to 30mph / cut your range in half.

dogman dan said:
<snip>
What you typically see though, is around 15-25 miles depending on wind, hills, and the total weight of you and the bike.

Did the title of this thread change form "how far can I go" to "how do I figure?" Maybe its my bad memory?

Anyway, the way I figure is based on my experiences with a fairly heavy standard mountain bike with typical trips from 8-16 miles with elevation gains for 600-750 feet as well as similar.

Longer commutes at moderate pace that only exceeds 25 mph going downhill averages about 20 wh/mile
Shorter commutes without any flats to speak of where I'm almost always going uphill or downhill to some degree average about 25 wh/mi

On flats or uphill I'm pulling a typical 650 watts from the battery. On moderate downhills I only pull that intermittently since I will go back and forth from exceeding my 28 mph power cutoff. On steep downhills, little or now power since I set my PAS to max at about 150 watts and that seldom kicks in due to speed.

As an example, I rode 22 miles yesterday and used 550 watt hours. It was the end of the week and I was going to play table tennis, so I kept my pedal effort low. Average speed was around 18 mph (though typical speeds were 20-25 mph). This is my shorter commute and stops and the 10-15% gradea kill my average speed. Anyway, that works out to an about 25 wh/mi - fairly typical of these shorter commutes where I'm always dealing with hills.

I use 36v 4.4 ah "hoverboard" batteries. When I initially started my commute, I calculated that I should be able to do my round trip 32 mile commute on five of these. And generally speaking, I was able to. But barely. I did run out of battery once. But per paper calculations, that meant I was pulling 25 wh/mi (and I do get better wh/mi on this longer commute which is half flat roads) - which didn't jibe with my measurements from by cheap-o watt meter. I concluded that I was running too close to the battery's capacity and that I wasn't getting the full amp hour capacity from the batteries because I was drawing at a rate higher than what is used to calculate that capacity. So lesson learned - understand the draw rate where your batteries were rated. Standard discharge for my cells is 430 mA. Each pack is 2P and I had five packs. So the standard draw would be 4.3 amps or 155 watts. I was drawing up to 1000 watts. Hence I don't get the full capacity.

By comparison, I took 7 of those packs and rode a 58 mile loop and only ran out of juice in the last mile home, and that mostly because I went fast on the last leg uphill to my house. My recharge consumed 28.5 ah even though the rated capacity was 30.8 ah. Using the former number, my average consumption was 17.9 wh/mi. I kept my PAS set to 2, which put my battery draw very near the "standard discharge" that the batteries were rated at. I kept my typical speed on flats at 20 mph or a bit more. No high amp blasts.

I now run 8 of those packs. By running more packs I strain each cell a bit less so I get better efficiency from the pack. But it is less than rated because I still draw above the rating. So realistically, my 1250 watt/hr battery probably delivers around 1100 watt hours in my real world commuting circumstance. I estimate that because after drawing 550 watt hours, my battery voltage was 37+ which is right around the halfway point of discharge. So my realistic range with this battery in my commuting mode is about 44 miles. But I figure I should be able to go 60 miles plus in a long range, lower draw cruising mode.

So as a recap. Your battery is nominally a 50.4v or 51.8v battery depending on the cell voltage. That means that your best case capacity is 900 watt hours but your real world e-biking capacity is probably more like 750 watt hours. At a middle of the road draw of 25 wh/mi you'll be able to go about 30 miles. If you pull back a bit and take it a little easy and draw 20 wh/mi, you might go 40 miles ... but barely if you do. If you go full blast rocketing about, you'll probably get less than 20 miles. A few years down the road, you you'll probably go less as the batteries wear out.

My limited experience tell me that you should probably have a reserve capacity of about half more than what you expect to typically use - even if you seldom expect to go beyond that typical. For longer trips, configure so that you can bring a charger with you and use opportunity charging to extend your range.

17amp hours * 58 volts = 986 watt hours. This means if you are drawing a constant 1000 watts you will be able to ride for .986 * 60 minutes = 59.16 minutes.

Now all we need is how fast you are going at 1000 watts to figure out how far you can go.

Of course this is all estimation because in reality the voltage will be dropping the entire time you are riding and you won't be drawing a constant 1000 watts during your ride, but at least now you know how to calculate it.

I did give him a calculation, that works real well when you don't know shit about all the data you need to really calculate range to the second decimal.

for 48v,, 3/4 of an amp hour, per mile. At speeds of 20-25 mph. (that's about 600- 750w burn rate)

If we know the actual real world watt hours of the battery, the temp, the wind, the grade, the speed, his weight, and how hard he pedals, we can calculate much more closely how far he can go.

But if he rips it at 1000w rate continuously, say going 30 mph. then his battery with about 750-800 watt hour real world capacity will empty in about 45 min. He needs 1000 wh to run an hour at 1000w, which is usually what you burn going 30 mph, with no wind or hill at all.

So 3/4 of 30 miles is the max. That's about 20-22 miles. But that's at continuous 1000w. since that's impossible, I said up to 25 miles. Why is that impossible? because at the last part of his ride, he will be at much less than 30 mph, and that reduction of speed at the end of the ride might buy him the extra 3 miles.

I honestly don't think that question can be answered. For instance, on my bike, I had been endlessly complaining about it's lack of range. But then I thought, maybe it's me? Normally I used a lot of throttle from a standing start, and really didn't put too much effort into pedaling. So I changed my riding style and my range nearly tripled! Then you figure in variables like traffic stops, road grade, type of tyres, the wind in your face.......

Back