Error 06 Message and Voltage showing super high

bradC207

1 µW
New to the forum and eBike so pls kind. learning as I go.

Just built a fat tire e-bike with a Murtisol Electric E-Bike Motor Kit 26'' Fat Tire Rear Wheels 48V 1000W with LCD Display from Amazon with a Joyisi 48V 15AH Ebike Battery, 30A BMS.

The kit installed pretty easy but the Im having a few problems.
1. The voltage on the LCD shows much higher than the battery (ie: 68-72volts) and the % battery remaining never seems to go down. Its always showing 100% battery. Is that right? What could cause that? I would think a 48v battery shows 48V and the voltage decreases as the battery drain occurs?

2. I'm getting an Err 06 error which eBikeCa shows as Low voltage protection issue. (If your pack is at 41V (48V pack) or at 44V (52V pack),Check programming to be certain Low Voltage Cutout is properly set.
Not sure what or where to check it. Because it's a no-name brand the LCD doesn't have a model number so I can't be certain the menu system is correct. I've pulled setting of the web that seems to mirror what I have (see excel file). The only config option I can see would be P14 (Current AMP Limit) that seems logical to be the issue. I've for it set at 12 (that's what it was the default)

Any ideas on where to start? Where to get the config settings for the display (I've tried contacting Murtisol and get nowhere fast)

Hoping someone can point me in a direction as I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance.
Brad

Attachments

• IMG_2903.jpg
    IMG_2903.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 3,883
  • IMG_2904.jpg
    IMG_2904.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 3,882
  • LCD Screen Setting (I Think).jpg
    LCD Screen Setting (I Think).jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 3,885
Both of the first two problems are related, in that the system either is not set to the correct battery voltage, or is not detecting it correctly, or is simply defective. Since it thinks it's a high voltage battery, the 48v battery is at a level that makes it appear empty, even though it's full.

THe P3 (battery voltage) in your table should be correct, if you're listing the actual setting it says it's at. That's the only setting listed there that has anything to do with your problem.

If there's no way for you to change the voltage the system expects, you would need to contact the seller to swap out the kit (or at least the parts involved, usually just the LCD, but possibly the controller as well).

Most likely they sent you the wrong controller/LCD, one meant for a higher voltage, instead of one for the 48v battery you've got.

If they're unwilling to help, you could post pics of the kit pieces showing any labelling or info molded into the plastics, etc., and we can try to decode them, see if they are actually a brand we know to refer you to info on, assuming someone doesn't recognize the unit from the display pics you've already posted.

You can also contact Amazon if the seller is unwilling to help, and Amazon may be able to help you at least get refunded (you would probably have to ship the kit back).

thank you. I'll start pulling it apart on the weekend and post a few photos and get the meter out. I've built 2 fat-tire bikes with the same kit and they do the same thing re the battery % issue. The 2nd bike has the same issue with the battery % but no 06 error. The difference is its a lower Ah battery (48v 13Ah)

Thank you and I'll post some more later

Pulled the controller out and couldn't see any kinked wires. Here is all the spec labels I could pull. The LCD doesn't have a part number. Couldn't find any images of it online to check the model number

Attachments

• IMG_2905.jpg
    IMG_2905.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 3,855
  • IMG_2906.jpg
    IMG_2906.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 3,855
  • IMG_2907.jpg
    IMG_2907.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3,855
  • IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2909.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 3,855
  • IMG_2910.jpg
    IMG_2910.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 3,855
Ebikes.ca did not design, build, or program your controller or display. Their definition of the meaning of the err 06 is just a generic guess.

Does the displayed voltage number change, and if so, does that change relate to usage? Say it starts at 72, you ride 50 feet, it changes to 64, it would not seem to be related to real-world conditions.

The fully-charged voltage of a "48V" pack should be 50.4. Multiples of 4.2 per cell.

Can you measure the actual battery output voltage with a meter? Might be useful to compare several actual, real-world readings with multiple numbers given on the display. Likely a consistent percentage of over-statement. Not really helpful to solve the actual problem, just interesting.

Does it function at all? I notice the 22 miles covered.

Seems to me, that either you have a battery dramatically over-specced from the label, and a mildly defective controller/display, or the battery is in fact as labeled and the controller/display is severely defective. Odds are high the second case is what you have.

Since you have two of them, and both are defective, that is really not a good sign the folks at Murtisol have a clue.

I have never seen the brand name of either the battery or the motor kit mentioned here or anywhere else, ever. Buying no-name chinese crap over the internet is an inherently high-risk affair. I'll bet the price was attractive, wasn't it?

Box it back up very carefully and ship it back to Amazon for a refund. Then, do just a bit of research to find a kit that will actually work as advertised. Buy just one until you are sure it is going to work, then buy the second one. OR, deal with a reputable vendor. The price will be less attractive, but the odds it will not be a complete piece of crap are much better.

Amazon doesn't currently list your kit. Just the 36V LED models. They either gave you two defective LCD's or it needs some user settings changed.

Where did you get the LCD table? Was it provided by Murtisol? It's the same P settings as the SW900 LCD display I have. In P03, available choices on mine toggle from 24, 36, 48, and 60. And Err 06 for my SW900 means "Battery is undervoltage". It's a crappy display. I'm not using it, but it does read the right battery voltage.

Just to eliminate all variables, get a meter and verify the battery is no higher than 54.6V. Angrybob said 50.4, but he was using 12S, and most commercial 48V packs are 13S.

You also might disconnect the battery. Turn on display. It won't turn on, but that should discharge any voltage sitting on the internal capacitors. Then hook up battery, turn on the display, and see if it powers up right.

When you say "checked the voltage", do you mean with the equipment already strongly suspected to be defective or perhaps with something else which just might be slightly more reliable?

Check display, AND use meter directly on battery, then ride to lower voltage significantly, repeat both measurements. Should be a relationship there which may indicate a useful course of action.

If the battery measures, with an accurate voltage detection devise, either 12 or 13 times 4.2, hot off the charger, that will mean that at least the battery is not screwed up and there may be a user-changeable setting that will correct the issue. Although if they sent you an 84 volt battery by mistake that may not be such a bad thing.

Describe the bike's operation, max speed, max range, etc. All normal other than the screwy display readings? Does it go, say, over 40 mph?

You mention setting the amp limit to "default", according to a document which may, or may not, match your equipment. Was it set to this originally or did you change it?

Another item is to disconnect anything that is not needed to run. Throttle and PAS get rid of one. Lights? Ebrakes, regen braking, simplify. If the unit can run without the display, which they often can, try that.

Something else, just for giggles. You have a second, identical display unit. Swap them, see if the 06 error travels with the display or stays with the bike. I would bet money it travels.

Likely can get a decent controller and display for $100 or so. Or, if it works normally aside from the screwy readings, knowing the reading variance, maybe you can just live with it.

I never saw this post when you made it, but I seem to have the same kit with strange SW900 clone, in an all in one colour screen and throttle.
I think I got mine off fleabay rather than Amazon, but it was quite awhile ago (like you back in '19) and it's sat for awhile "in stock " waiting for a build.
I finally decided to use it for an AWD Mongoose Dolomite conversion and I've encountered the exact same weird Voltage reading on the display. I don't have any problems riding, it all functions fine, except with 26" by 4" fatbike rims and tyres the speed reading set for 26" is not accurate and I'm gonna have to adjust it with a GPS speedo phone app until they synchronize. The voltage reading, accessed by pressing M and ^ simultaneously, reads 75v using the same UPP 48v pack as the OP. The battery display never goes down from 100% either, but this has nowt to do with the pack as it does the same from my 48v tiger shark pack. The other extended function accessed the same way, i.e the watt readings stay at 0v even while riding, the voltage does go down though. Since all these displays seem to do the same thing I'm assuming it's either a setting needing investigation and changing or perhaps the function just doesn't work properly? If this was somehow solved I'd love to hear of the solution, also possibly if anyone got the wattmeter to work as well as the voltmeter. Could it be the p18 battery display? I know mine is definitely set correctly for 48v and both packs are definitely 48v not 72v, as well as the fact that it would be 84v when charged fully on a 72v pack not somewhere in the 70's!
P.S I tried to add a picture of my build but it only worked inverted!! So I deleted it and tried again, but this POS forum doesn't work right, so that's not happening :evil:

Attachments

• 20210303_143329.jpg
    20210303_143329.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 3,351
If you use the rotate picture function iwthin an OS, or some other modern software, all it does it tag the picture with a rotation tag, it doesn't actually rotate it (chanigng which pixels are where). So anything older than that function (like this forum software) has no idea what to do with it, so it displays the actual pixels as they actually are.

So you have to use software taht acutally moves the pixels around to do the rotation, for it to actually be sure to display right no matter where you put the image. I jsut do it in the paint program in windwos.

Back