Need a help

1Tap

1 µW
Hi,

I'm modifying a Mongoose cx450 electric bike. I've got the SLA's in series wired up, the 1800w 48v motor and controller are mounted to the frame above the rear wheel. The 1800w motor doesn't fit where the original motor was without getting in the way of the pedals.

I'm keeping the pedals on to keep it classified as a bike in Idaho. Here's my question, I'm changing out the forks but don't want to spend $200.

I found some new cheap forks on ebay, and I found some used 18 yr. old quality forks. Could you please see both links and give your opinion?

Thanks.

Don't see any links.

Re the forks. 18 year old quality forks may be pretty primitive, so don't spend much on them. Cheap fork you have now, and new ones won't be better.

Whatever you can afford, you will be limited somewhat because new quality forks have different headset sizes, and the decent ones that would fit your bike all wore out. Hunt a little longer is my advice, including such things as buying a partial bike at a yard sale or flea market.

1Tap said:
Hi,

I'm modifying a Mongoose cx450 electric bike. I've got the SLA's in series wired up, the 1800w 48v motor and controller are mounted to the frame above the rear wheel. The 1800w motor doesn't fit where the original motor was without getting in the way of the pedals.

I'm keeping the pedals on to keep it classified as a bike in Idaho. Here's my question, I'm changing out the forks but don't want to spend $200..

I found some new cheap forks on ebay, and I found some used 18 yr. old quality forks. Could you please see both links and give your opinion?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!
There are several posts on the forum regarding your bike, like below. The second thread is for another model, but mentions that it may have the same frame as the 450, and the OP replaces the fork with a Zoom model. Not sure it this is helpful or not, but you may find more through a search
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=92544

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95111

Do not buy a generic fork if you are doing anything more then just cruising normally, buy the 18 year old quality fork, or spend a bit extra and buy a 10 year old quality fork.

Places to look are
- www.pinkbike.com in the buy/sell forum

- www.kijiji.com online classifieds for Canada (ebay now owns kijiji)

- www.craigslist.com online classifieds for North America. Not really that popular anymore but worth a look.

- Call around to various bicycle repair shops to see if they have used forks.

- Community type bicycle repair shops. Calgary, Alberta, Canada used to have one called Goodlife, but they went out of business.

- Univercity has something similar, so worth a look at the colleges and univ's in your area.

- Also organizations, non profits. For example in Calgary
https://bikecalgary.org/

- Free/Donations like this site for my area. I know there are a few.
https://free-stuff.ca/calgary/

- Facebook I think has a forum for stuff

Re the 18 year old fork, early forks used elastomers, which like anything rubber, might be dead 18 years later. But if you can find one that has a steel spring, plus damping adjustment, then you are on the right track.

Cheap forks just have the steel spring, and never came with oil dampening. This is what you have now. Pogo stick fork. You will like one with a real shock, with oil in it.

Just look for the headset size you need, 1 inch or 1 1/8, and adjustable dampening. A rock shocks only about 15 years old will do.

I'm finding it hard to picture SLA batteries supplying an 1800 watt motor with anything like enough power. Are they starting batteries for cars? ;)

Lead is dead. Get real batteries.

Cheap forks are sh*t. Buy an old one, but not any old one. Find an old racing fork, those that were 2000+ $ back then and for which service parts are still readily available.

I still ride this one: Marzocchi Monster T 2002. That is exactly 18 years old. All parts are still available. It does ride very good and it is very robust. It doesn’t require frequent servicing. All parts are still available. But, it is heavy by today’s standards.

marzocchi-monster-T-triple-clamp-forks-20mm-axle.jpg

Other old forks to look for:

Rock Shox Judy DHO, lighweight 4’’ travel that is almost undestructible.

Marzocchi Shiver DC, upside down 7’’ travel. Heavy but very robust and versatile. Can be upgraded with modern air cartridge to make it light weight.

Any Boxxer WC, even very old ones. Lightweight, easy tuning, easy rebuild, those with spring had a titanium spring originally.

Back