New Policy Re;E-Bikes in USA National Parks

aroundqube

10 kW
Thanks to RunForTheHills for posting the heads up on this info in another thread. https://www.nps.gov/subjects/biking/e-bikes.htm

So where I live the National Park is Gateway. They have some liberal policies , for example the only nude bathing beach in the state. This spring I went to the Ranger Station with my handicap disabled credentials to plea my case for using my E-Bike in accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act. The ranger said that this is not allowed on the mixed use trail. However I could ride the roads where motor vehicles are allowed. So I asked what the speed limit would be. He ran his finger over the map . Indicated 45mph ( the posted speed limit ) would be ok in the remote areas.

So the 30 day directive to post the new rules is near. Here it comes : https://www.nps.gov/articles/ebikes-prohibited.htm?fbclid=IwAR33nGUIBLgKSESihNevKxOfnXFtCvgoul2zpABR3Ggi1Wkk0jFWwqe1-uk . I just converted a DIY E-Bike to Class - 1 to comply locally. I don't know what is different about PAS in countries where this has always been the rule. My experience is that this is unsafe, compared to throttle only , or PAS with throttle on demand.

So, only class one allowed on walking, biking, horse only trails. Thats too bad.

Whatever the rules from Washington may be, Ranger Rick will tell you what he thinks the rules are. Don't expect a message from the boss to get every rangers compliance.

But, it Should be legal to ride class one. Disabled,,, still class one, which sucks because disabled may not be able to pedal. This is why the three classes law sucks balls.

Personally, I'd just ride, rather than ask a ranger to remember the latest rule change. Just cuz it crossed his desk, does not mean he read it and really understands. Have the argument with him after he tries to bust you, but carry a copy of the new rule, printed from the NPS website. And tell the ranger you have a class one bike. :mrgreen:

Back