New Frey EX looks promising

EL34

100 mW
I just saw this article and I am holding off on my next build until I see the Frey EX released and on the Frey web site.
I really wanted a Luna X-1 but hard to say if you could ever get one?

The new Frey Ex has the Bafang Ultra M620 , which is the motor I wanted :)

They are showing the EX with a second battery on top of the down tube, but the main battery is inside the down tube
So you can add a second battery if you want, which is a cool feature

Here's the article about the two new Frey bikes

https://electrek.co/2019/09/16/frey-bike-electric-bicycle-cc-ex-am1000/

frey_bike_new_models_47.jpg

Grantmac said:
I like the battery integration, but why can't they rotate the motor upward like the M600 frames?

I am guessing that the frame geometry, shock mount and extra battery dictated how the motor is mounted.
I suppose they would have rotated it up farther is they could have.
Just a guess on my part

It looks fine to me the way it is :)

frey_bike_new_models_43.jpg

The kick stand is about the only thing I see that I have no use for :)
It is probably handy for some, but I would be using the bike off road

They give up a bunch of ground clearance like that. Probably less of an issue for people who don't live in as rocky of an environment as I do. I'm constantly hitting my bash guard though.

To tell the truth, I do love the sleek look of the store bought ebikes. However the price is too high for my liking, and the proprietary nature of those ebikes is a huge no no.

From the bicycles with the frame integrated batteries to that ebikes battery mounted on top of the down tube, how much more Wh would you get?

The ebikes I see on a regular basis, are the store bought ones and they are ultra stealthy.
Like the Specialized Turbo Levo.

I have only seen one Sondors fatty a cpl yrs ago, those are too wimpy.
Seen a few Sondors for sale online, they were wanting C$750'ish, which is full retail I believe. Still a uselessly wimpy ebike.
Even though I believe its 750W here, them Levo's are 500W which again pretty useless for us bigger studs ;)

markz said:
To tell the truth, I do love the sleek look of the store bought ebikes. However the price is too high for my liking, and the proprietary nature of those ebikes is a huge no no.

From the bicycles with the frame integrated batteries to that ebikes battery mounted on top of the down tube, how much more Wh would you get?

The ebikes I see on a regular basis, are the store bought ones and they are ultra stealthy.
Like the Specialized Turbo Levo.

I have only seen one Sondors fatty a cpl yrs ago, those are too wimpy.
Seen a few Sondors for sale online, they were wanting C$750'ish, which is full retail I believe. Still a uselessly wimpy ebike.
Even though I believe its 750W here, them Levo's are 500W which again pretty useless for us bigger studs ;)

The Frey EX uses the Bafang M620 which is a 1000 watt motor and programmable way higher than that.
I would not buy any of the big bike company bikes with the Bosch or Shimano motors.

I built this Fat stud a few months ago with the Bafang BBSHD

Img_1158.jpg

I like the looks of your ebike!

The chunkiness of the large tubes of the frame, the wide and large fork along with the fat tires takes the eye away from that mysterious item hiding behind the crank :wink: though that crank gears chunkiness also helps to hide that mid drive motor. For extra stealthiness the battery needs attention, but it wouldnt detract me from owning it. Uber stealthiness takes thoughtfulness. Perhaps a couple water bottle batteries would help on the stealthiness, if you could stuff the same amount of Wh into both bottles. But again unless you are a NYC delivery person, no need to worry. Everything blends in nice. A completely black bike hides a lot.

EL34 said:
The Frey EX uses the Bafang M620 which is a 1000 watt motor and programmable way higher than that.
I would not buy any of the big bike company bikes with the Bosch or Shimano motors.

I built this Fat stud a few months ago with the Bafang BBSHD

Img_1158.jpg

EL34 said:
https://electrek.co/2019/09/16/frey-bike-electric-bicycle-cc-ex-am1000/

"This motor is often rated at 1,000W continuous, but puts out closer to 1,500W to 1,600W of peak power. It also churns out 160 Nm (118 lb-ft) of torque, which is simply massive. That’s around 2-3x the torque of most Bosch, Brose, or Shimano mid-drive motors. And unlike nearly every other mid-drive motor, these Bafang Ultra motors come with a hand throttle in addition to the standard pedal assist."

I dig it even more!

"Both models include a high-capacity integrated battery, with a 48V and 672 Wh battery hidden in the frame of the EX model and a larger 48V and 816 Wh in the CC model. The EX model also offers the option of a second 672 Wh battery added to the frame in a downtube-mounted pack."

"That bike currently starts at around $2,300 before shipping, with options for even higher spec components, such as DNM inverted forks, increasing the price somewhat."

Pretty impressive!

markz said:
"That bike currently starts at around $2,300 before shipping, with options for even higher spec components, such as DNM inverted forks, increasing the price somewhat."

Pretty impressive!

I agree

markz said:
I like the looks of your ebike!

The chunkiness of the large tubes of the frame, the wide and large fork along with the fat tires takes the eye away from that mysterious item hiding behind the crank :wink: though that crank gears chunkiness also helps to hide that mid drive motor. For extra stealthiness the battery needs attention, but it wouldnt detract me from owning it. Uber stealthiness takes thoughtfulness. Perhaps a couple water bottle batteries would help on the stealthiness, if you could stuff the same amount of Wh into both bottles. But again unless you are a NYC delivery person, no need to worry. Everything blends in nice. A completely black bike hides a lot.

My fat bike is full carbon frame and wheels with a LUNA BBSHD motor kit and Luna Wolf battery pack

Keep in mind there are Euro spec bikes making 120nm coming out. They say "250w" but are peaking at +1000w.
However you can't hack a throttle on them plus the price is eye watering. They DO have the light weight and stealth I crave though.

Frey is doing a decent job and their newer bikes seem to have more thought put into the suspension. I just wish they'd actually get MTBers on the design team.

Grantmac said:
Keep in mind there are Euro spec bikes making 120nm coming out. They say "250w" but are peaking at +1000w.
However you can't hack a throttle on them plus the price is eye watering. They DO have the light weight and stealth I crave though.

Frey is doing a decent job and their newer bikes seem to have more thought put into the suspension. I just wish they'd actually get MTBers on the design team.

This is the bike I actually wanted, but it's hard to say when you could ever get one.
Luna has not delivered any that it pre sold in July yet

This is the Luna X-1

DSC09823__94222.1560997538.jpg

The first X-1s have shipped, they are a very tempting bike.
I hope they sell like crazy so I can get a used one in a few years.

Grantmac said:
The first X-1s have shipped, they are a very tempting bike.
I hope they sell like crazy so I can get a used one in a few years.

Where are you seeing that the first X-1's have shipped?
According to the Facebook page where Eric from Luna post, they have not shipped yet.
People who paid in advance a few months ago are getting a bit restless because they were supposed to ship a few weeks ago

It was a comment on a Facebook group. Although perhaps it was meant that they arrived at Luna?
I agree the time line has stretched rather far, but the price was only possible with what is I'm sure a container full of bikes.

Luna is shipping the X-1's
Eric posted the photo below on FB last night

70404023_2703336009700235_78116474337624064_n.jpg

Yeah that is most likely the case. A container load is the only way to go. Looks like he is doing a brisk business from the picture of all the X-1 boxes in the factory. His factory looks pretty large, high rent, add wages, utilities (though its warm cali), workers comp, product costs, shipping costs, delays. Looks like they are doing brisk business.

Grantmac said:
It was a comment on a Facebook group. Although perhaps it was meant that they arrived at Luna?
I agree the time line has stretched rather far, but the price was only possible with what is I'm sure a container full of bikes.

The only way to get a container cheaply through the LA port is to do it slowly. So yeah, I always figured it was a pay and wait thing.
I'm no huge Luna fan boy but when they are reselling products already in production they do a decent, if slow, job.

Very curious to see if that M600 can soak up 2000w like they are claiming.

Grantmac said:
The only way to get a container cheaply through the LA port is to do it slowly. So yeah, I always figured it was a pay and wait thing.
I'm no huge Luna fan boy but when they are reselling products already in production they do a decent, if slow, job.

Very curious to see if that M600 can soak up 2000w like they are claiming.

I would not need that motor to put out 2000w
My Luna BBSHD on my fat bike is more than enough and it is set at 1500w
I rarely use a PAS level 5 out of 9 on that bike

I frequently run 2.4kw and I'd like twice that peak ideally in a 70# bike.
I could compromise with 2kw in a ~50# bike if it was more stealthy.

Hello there. My first post here.

My name is Gonzalo. I ordered a matt black EX Pro a while ago. I don't love the colour that much but I wanted it to be discreet to be honest.

I actually ordered an Am1000 on the first place. The delay caused by the fuxxxxx awful Covid made me have second thoughts and finally decided to go with EX which makes more sense to me since I like and enjoy Enduro riding.( This change was just a few days before they would start making my AM 1000, so I've waited 2 lines on a row). Also have little kids and plan to use it to commute now and then or getting some groceries every once in a while so I asked to add rear rack, lights and those things that should never ever be mounted on an Enduro bicycle... Wait, what??XD

A few days ago Frey sent me some pictures telling me my bike is about to be (train) shipped. So, keep waiting. I guess that's my thing, uh.

Frey attention is been good so far. Nothing more than some language misunderstandings to worry about.

Also talked to Simon a few months ago and even though it didn't work out because we live in different countries was both hugely kind and helpful with the infinite amount of doubts I guess we all have before throwing this amount of money to the other side of the planet in exchange to an "unknown" bike and brand. I thank him about his great attention.

Also Frey has attended me good so far.

Hope to tell you my thoughts about the EX in no more then than 40 or 50 long days...

This thing is yet an experiment for me and must admit that I won't be relaxed and happy until get the bike and see with my own eyes they're as good as almost everyone claims them to be.

Have fun!

PD: a little "worry" about the fact one brake was mounted the opposite direction in the first pictures of my EX they sent me . They already took care about that.
I don't care to reinstall a disk brake (actually I think I will throw some galfers there anyway, but I guess this triggers up some doubts on me about quality test or assembly control as they answered me back telling me they're well mounted...

I guess I'll check the whole bike before riding it just in case.

Back