Electric kick-bick build feedback

bitesizey

1 µW
I'm a big scooter person (also have an e-bike). I've been taking a look at the Schwinn Shuffle, a kickbike with a 16" wheel and a 26" front wheel.

I have a budget of approximately $800 and want to build something that can go ~28mph and approximately 30 miles. Below is pretty much what I've thought of:

Schwinn Shuffle $150
26" 1000W eBike Kit $250 (https://www.amazon.com/AW-Electric-Bicycle-Powerful-Conversion/dp/B00YBWA5VC/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=1000W+ebike+kit&qid=1568810276&s=gateway&sr=8-5)
48V 20ah Battery $420 (https://www.amazon.com/X-go-Carrier-Battery-Electric-Bicycle/dp/B07FB9VNYL/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=48V+20ah+ebike+battery&qid=1568810328&s=gateway&sr=8-5)
Total: ~$820.

Is there anything that looks wrong on this? In particular I'm looking for something that has decent (but not crazy torque) and is long-lasting. I realize that Amazon isn't the best place to buy batteries or a kit. I've heard things about Luna Cycle and em3ev, but those seem too expensive. Perhaps I don't even need 20AH to go 25-30mph for 30 miles? Can't go too much above $800 total for everything.

You have chosen an interesting project; I hope you have good fabrication skills.

The first thing that strikes me, is where will you put the battery and controller? It seems to me that the best option is to build some sort of rack above the rear wheel, but there is no triangle or seat post to provide support.

Using a very flat form factor battery, it could be sandwiched between the frame and deck like the Razor EcoSmart and UNI Boost X RAW use.

DO NOT FORGET TO USE TORQUE ARMS on a front hub motor.

Since you can’t pedal and anything over 6-8 MPH the kicking will have no effect, a quick check of Electric Bike Simulator indicates with an all-up weight of 240 Lbs., to go 30mi at an average of 25-30 MPH will need a 1,000 watt motor and 22AH battery. Keeping in mind that draining a battery to 0 is bad you will need more. If you average 20 MPH and limit top speed to 25 you might get away with 20AH.

So, in theory, it is doable.

As to the kit you linked to on Amazon it is no better or worse than ordering from China. The same kit is on e-bay for $100 less. Quality comes at a price. Nearly all e-bike motors come from China, (except for Bosch and a few name brands), even then parts are likely made in China. A friend of mine makes the headlight lenses for the automotive industry, his factory is in China.

As far as the battery goes, stick to quality name brand cells.(Panasonic 3500, LG MJ-1 or Samsung 40T)
The fire risk with generics is much greater. If it were me I would save on motor and accessory parts and spend on the battery and charger.

Speaking of chargers, the battery you linked too doesn’t come with one, nor does the motor kit. You will need a charger safe to use with your battery. You need to budget for that, about $30 for a 48 volt 2-3 amp POS, $60 for a 3 amp smart charger or $100 for a programable charger that can do both slow and fast charging.

Good luck, post pictures.

Back