Feedback and thoughts on my electrification plans please

skestans

100 W
Hi everyone,

I have two bikes that I'd like to electrify.

One is a Kona Dew Plus, one is a Marin Muirwoods, both have 9 gears cassettes, one has 28" wheels, the other 26".

I plan on putting a TSDZ2 on each with the 850C color screen and the open source firmware. I don't want a throttle because I'd rather have a temperature sensor.

It's quite hilly where we live. When I'm on the bike under muscle power, I get into the easiest possible gear and I only do 5-6 km/h with lots of sweat and breathing. I'm not an athlete but I'm not out of shape either, I ride 6-8 kms every day for the last 6 years.

The riders will be 85 kg and 65 kg.

For a battery, I think I'd like to get one of the new Luna fully encased battery. Something like the Luna Wolf V2.

Commute to work is about 6-7 km return with about 500m of a very steep hill. I'd also like to use the bikes for longer week-end adventures (20-40 km)

I would also like to ride all year round. It doesn't snow that much where I live but it rains. Typical winter temperature is about -5C to +5C, it sometimes goes as low as -15C.

I live in Europe so shipping will probably be a bit high on the battery (since it ships from the US if I understand correctly) but then I guess shipping on the motor will be cheaper because Europe is closer than America.

The bikes and batteries will be indoors while at work or at home.

Does that combination of battery and motor make sense given our projected use?

Can I ride the bikes in winter/when it rains??

How reliable are the magnetic mounts on the Wolf pack?

Which charger to go for?

Anything else I'm overlooking/missing?

Should I get smaller batteries for everyday use and a larger one for longer trips, or charging the large battery to 60% for faily use and 90% for longer trips is good enough?

Thanks, looking forward to this project!

60% is a storage charge, not for regular use. Way to low. 80% for regular trips, full charge right before a long trip. Depends on the trip and actual usage, do NOT run the battery too low.

I would also strongly recommend you investigate alternate suppliers for the battery. This is the most expensive and shortest-lived component, quality and reliability are paramount. Take a long, hard look and check out Em3EV, as well as others.

Be alert for what appear to be recommendations but are actually compensated endorsements.

On the cold and rain - Batteries lose capacity in extreme cold. A battery which is full charged in a warm environment, taken out into extreme cold and parked for an hour or so, can actually become severely overcharged due to the loss of capacity. Ridden immediately should not be a problem, but many apply insulation to maintain temperature. I live in a very warm environment so have not done extensive research in this area. Extreme cold to me is below 60F.

I do live in a very rainy environment. Drip loops, waterproof gaskets, drain holes, covers for throttle and electronics, most especially throttle, Boeshield t-9 sprayed into exposed connections, I ran all my wires thru sections of old inner tube. Outside of one minor issue with a wet throttle, no problems in 5 years of daily usage.

Remember this - Anything you do to keep water OUT, will also act to keep water IN. Much of the problem with water is not an immediate electrical short, though these can and do happen, but water-borne dirt and grit, and corrosion due to long-term exposure, seem to be the major issues. Making sure there are drain holes at the lowest point of components is often recommended, though I personally have not resorted to this.

AngryBob said:
I would also strongly recommend you investigate alternate suppliers for the battery. This is the most expensive and shortest-lived component, quality and reliability are paramount. Take a long, hard look and check out Em3EV, as well as others.

+1 on EM3ev. I (will) have two of their 14s7p hardcase rectangle packs with the Smart BMS.

Back