Baked

markz

100 TW
Yescomusa(usa)/Accessories(cdn)
Direct Drive 750W 36V 26A
Lasted 2 or 3 months with 375lbs

I was surprised it lasted as long as it did, the times I felt the motor it was too hot. Surprisingly enough, the last rides were using very little throttle, a hair at most, otherwise too much throttle and it would sputter.

baked.jpg

Grade %

km
baked1.jpg

Well I knew it was getting hot, I figured the slopes I was riding be a 50/50 chance it survived...... until I felt the hub motor about 3 weeks into riding it. A millisecond of touching it, red hot motor. So I just hosed the motor down when I got home after the low slope hill home. I just wanted something right away, and I got that hub within a few days. I coulda cared less if it survived as it was so weak. One good thing that came out of it, I had to pedal. BTW it was in a 24" rim.

hypertoric_amplituhedron said:
Dude, that's totally awesome. Were you trying to do this? Were you expecting a different result?

I've ordered the Leaf 1500W laced wheel only, in the comments I've asked for a 5T but the ad said 600rpm @ 48V.
Will probably add Statorade that was given to me, if it hasnt leaked :lol:
Hopefully 5-7 days it will arrive.

This whole business of actually pedaling a bicycle with no motor is B-A-N-A-N-A-S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horrible
It was just matter of time with no any thermal protection.
So another one baked.
I understand opening it and installing thermal protection is hard job but if controller accept thermal sensor, thermistor input is it just obvious thing to do?

It got me to where I wanted to go, a 2wd setup would have been better. The one I got was $200cdn shipped to my door for each kit, however all their kits were 24" reg or 24" fat.

I could have added a cheap ebay chinesium, LCD Temperature Display coming out of the axle with the phase/hall wires. Or Crap-O-Rama temrature probe if they sold them.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/50-300-Celsius-Degree-LCD-Digital-Display-Heating-Temperature-Thermometer/264205679746?hash=item3d83e2bc82:g:~cYAAOSweXddbxqS

If you have the Cycle Analyst v3.x you can install a common 10K NTC (or other sensor) inside the motor, if it doens't come wiht one, and either just monitor temperature, or actively have it roll back power to the motor when it gets too hot.

Ebikes.ca sells compatible sensors if you need them. (or knowing what kind they use you can get one from Mouser, Digikey, etc)

Yeah, over 300 pounds total weight up a long enough hill can cook one of those. A bike with a 20" wheel might go closer to 400 pounds up a long steep hill.

Or, best solution, get a bigger motor, and feed it 2000w up that hill. That should get you up it faster, more efficient, and result in a relatively cool motor at the top. Your are on the right track for sure.

Pop those magnets out of the old ring, they make great fridge magnets for sticking papers, cards, etc to a metal door. Or use them for welding magnets.

Makes a great rewinding project dont it after finding some cheap-ass magnets on fleabay. I dont have little fingers :lol: nor the patience.

Yes, dual motors is the other way that works for sure. The main thing is that for the hill you have and the weight load, you need larger magnets, and more copper one way or the other.

Then the load will not bog you down so much, and the motor will not go into its wildly inefficient operation rpm. However its done, if you can get a 24 to 29 inch hub to climb the hill at 15 mph or better, it will make a lot less heat than one climbing the hill at 10 mph.

About 15-18 mph up the hill is the sweet spot, any faster you start losing watts to the wind, any slower and you start riding an electric heater. This is on the hill where load is high, you CAN ride efficiently as slow as you like if the load is low. But increase the load so that your motor is drawing 800-1200w, and it needs to turn at a pretty good rpm.

Typically that load is a hill, but it can also be riding through deep sand on the flat. I've fried motors doing that too.

Back