two way throttle? (thumb or twist)

other than number 15 in the below link is there a two way throttle?
http://www.freeenergystore.com/evhubmotors.html

This is meant to be mounted on the handlebar of a luge, so you can control speed without taking either hand off of the bar (so you can hold on for dear life). The ideal solution I've come up with so far is to use a twist throttle for like an ebike, but all of the ones online only seem to be one-directional for acceleration, but I want one to control braking as well.

Is there any sort of thing that can be found online or even made?

Since I tested a Vectrix eScooter with a two way throttle years ago I also want such a thing on my vehicles. Couldn't find it yet... #15 in your link looks good, but they don't give specs (2 x hall 1-4V would be nice) and say it's only designed for their own system.

I would guess that paralleling the two throttles work?
Quick Endless Sphere search....
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101807&p=1499021&hilit=two+throttle#p1499021

I have a DIY conversion with a DD rear hub motor , infineon 36-72 volt controller , and a Cycle Analyst 2.3 Display.

When slowing down from speeds above 16 mph it goes into regen, with the C.A. 2.3 I can even see how much amps are going back into the battery pack, on flat streets regen does not work much on a light weight object like a e-bike. ( not enough regen to even bother with , it only helps a little with less wear on the brakes which I do anyway by just paying attention to traffic lights and slowing down way before the intersection , the same with stop sign's )

However it does work good enough to put back in some energy when going down steep and long hills .

Hummina Shadeeba said:
All the diy built bikes are using mechanical braking and no regen? Rediculous.

Hummina Shadeeba said:

No, a direct drive build without regen is a pretty near the bottom of the barrel. (But direct drive only - hubs with internal freewheeling gearing don't do regen, nor do crank drive builds like BBxxx.)

But I believe most controllers support only on/off regen control, not proportional. 99% of the time that switch is built into one or both brake levers.

If you have a controller in mind that supports proportional regen, there isn't much of a market for the control, so there are some home made solutions out there. I personally think it belongs in the brake levers anyway, and it seems to me that's available but can't tell you where. And you'd have to verify that the voltages etc. would work with your controller.

One kind of work-around gimmick comes with recent Cycle Analyst computers, where you switch to regen with the brake and then the throttle controls the regen level. https://www.ebikes.ca/news/CA3-prop-regen/

Regen is not interesting to me, other than occasional emergency braking on slippery surface. If my front wheel has grip, rear braking is just about useless. For this reason, I prefer to set the regen switch apart of my grips. A momentary thumb button switch does it, a dozen times a year.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
I guess you don't read much, if you think that. You can find a lot of info about how people setup and use the many forms of regen all over the forum.

You should at least try to do some research occasionally.

Good ways to setup analog regen are a throttle on the left bar now twisting the opposite direction (which is like a split 2 way throttle, kind of better) or if you want to do fancy you can use a standard hydraulic master cyl lever or pedal (pegs) plumbed to a pressure transducer.

A two way throttle might be OK with bicycle style brakes but as soon as you move your front brake to the right* it becomes a disadvantage cuz you now need to work the throttle while braking with the same hand. So the above methods are superior if a rider is interested in performance.

Your off hand is also less busy, so there or by foot are also better locations for that reason.

*motorcycle front brake is on the right so to avoid confusion people who ride all kinds of 2 wheelers tend to prefer bicycle brakes flip flopped. Downhill riders too.

I've been looking for a brake pressure transducer, do you know any specific ones which have been used?
I agree that it's the right way to control regen.

The Vectrix with the two way throttle/regen full twist grip was great. You can just ride it around in city traffic, and never touch the brake levers... It's smooth and progressive, and totally instinctual.
The only prob was it was a big white Vectrix, and I was wearing a big round white loaner motorcycle helmet, so every driver thought I was an undercover moto cop, and kept driving weird making full stops and waving me on unexpectedly.. It was annoying! 😆

flat tire said:
*motorcycle front brake is on the right so to avoid confusion people who ride all kinds of 2 wheelers tend to prefer bicycle brakes flip flopped. Downhill riders too.
Motorcycle front brakes are on the right because they have a clutch lever on the left, that could not be operated on the same side as the throttle. As a consequence, they have a foot operated rear brake. This is kind of a standard on motorcycles, but many riders are swapping controls. South paws and personal reasons, every rider is free to set his bike to his preferred riding style.

Bicycles commonly used to have the front brake lever on the right in EU, on the left in America. Long ago, I tested my braking distance with various configurations, brake set-up and geometry. I am better with the front brake in my left hand, and I am much better than regen.

I still cant find a throttle that's also a brake. anyone have an idea? it could even be a wi nunchuck or something. id rather a thumb slider or knob anyway.

Look for Vectrix throttle. You will need a controller that has variable (hall) regen, and probably will have to do some minor mod to match the connections.

I have many I got off alibaba and they will sell individually for like 25$ n shipping.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 904
  • 67F3ADBF-3981-495A-8402-2A32B8E7B9D4.png
    67F3ADBF-3981-495A-8402-2A32B8E7B9D4.png
    241 KB · Views: 870
Hummina Shadeeba said:
I have many I got off alibaba and they will sell individually for like 25$ n shipping.

Does it work well? Does it have less rotation than a standard throttle?

Back