Carbon e-mtb build

tony5haw2013

10 mW
Hi, i am building a carbon mtb to fit electric hub motors to.

The frame is a hard tail with 135mm dropouts and 26" rims. I am lookong for a rear direct drive or geared hub motor capable of using disc brake and rear cassette.

Any ideas on good non crap hub motors 1500w area. Looking to make this a powerful bike as my commutes are short and id rather it be a fun build than anything else.

I looked at a few but most seem to be low rpm.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

tony5haw2013 said:
Hi, i am building a carbon mtb to fit electric hub motors to.

The frame is a hard tail with 135mm dropouts and 26" rims. I am lookong for a rear direct drive or geared hub motor capable of using disc brake and rear cassette.

Any ideas on good non crap hub motors 1500w area. Looking to make this a powerful bike as my commutes are short and id rather it be a fun build than anything else.

I looked at a few but most seem to be low rpm.

Any suggestions?

Appear to be a lot of posts on this one, due to the efficiency. Some advise getting the wheel only, since the kit components are not of the same quality:
https://www.leafbike.com/products/diy-bike-conversion-kit/26-inch-electric-hub-motor-kit/newest-26-inch-48v-1500w-rear-hub-motor-bike-conversion-kit-987.html

Yes i did look at that kit, i would want to go one further and have the hub motor itself laced into my own rim as i would want a decent set of rims on the bike.

As for controllers and display etc, any well know reputable suppliers of controllers?

tony5haw2013 said:
Yes i did look at that kit, i would want to go one further and have the hub motor itself laced into my own rim as i would want a decent set of rims on the bike.

As for controllers and display etc, any well know reputable suppliers of controllers?

Here's another one:
https://west-coast-electric-cycles.myshopify.com/collections/direct-drive-hub-motors/products/1500w-35mm-direct-drive-hub-motor

You probably need to specify budget, since controllers have a wide range of features and pricing. I'm guessing you'll go with higher voltage on the battery for the fun factor.

Budget is not a factor really as the build is over time so i can afford the better stuff if i need it.

However i have a e scooter, its done 200km it has an lg lithium iron 48v 13ah battery pack. However i dont know all the specs so will struggle to match controllers with the battery. It would be great to re purpose that pack in this build.

I dont know the amp rating or what exact cells they are other than LG

Any idea if i could test these cells to find out if i could indeed use them?

I think the motor and cycle analyst kit from last link looks good for me

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to find out the amperage peaks for the scooter's controller. If you can't do that then measure the amperage of the scooter when you are accelerating hard. You can find watt meters online that will do that for you if you put them inline between the battery and the controller. If the scooter's amperage requirements meets or exceeds what you want to do on your carbon bike.... then it should be fine.

Otherwise get the battery open and find out exactly what cells it's using and how many.

If budget isn't a concern for your build then I suggest checking out Grin's new thru axle stuff. Besides the Grin all-axle hub motor they have some newer Crystalyte h-Series hub motors that support thru-axles. Most modern higher-end bikes use through axles nowadays and having a motor that has a integrated torque arm and conventionalized sized axles has a number of advantages that are especially relevant for carbon bikes.

Very good shout with grin tech, will look into them, i am aiming to have something awesome thats fun and fast to ride that i can keep long term so i want to buy good gear for it.

My knowledge is letting me down at this point but i am learning as much as i can

So guys, i have gone for a mid drive after all. The build parts are slowly being delivered.

Wheels i went for mavic disc rims with hope pro 4 hubs and dt swiss spokes

Carbon hardtail frame

Carbon stem, seatpost, bars and solid front forks.

Gearing is 1x 11 with shimano xtr m9000 rear mech, shifter and cassette

Magura mt5e brakes with 200mm front rotor and 160 rear.

Thats as far as i have got so far

First deliveries
c48244993c71e2b0d7aff9988138c90d.jpg

The magura brakes also have switches in levers. So i can use as motor cut and i also have a bseen kit with idicators, headlight and brake light so u can hook my brake light to the lever plug and play.

Big shout out to pedro at bseen for doing a custom kit for me at no extra cost!

Motor i am going for is the BBSHD mid drive from bfang. 1500w peak and able to run it through my xtr drivetrain

Not sure anybody is interested in this so il write a build thread somewhere else i think

So motor is between the bbshd or soend more and get the v2 cyc pro x1 that will be a might 5kw at 72v. Pics of it given by the owner of CYC. Looks smart. Pricey but a very strong and powerful motor

Thoughts?
dfe943e33370d46381a4ab7800c06453.jpg
5151f5911d14fa80cfdbe042cfe87afb.jpg
9a0151843172e72f5d9223d1592aba5e.jpg
89171f4c93480d0e2e7bae3873ff72ca.jpg
657cb940c469c1cfdceafe894953781b.jpg

I know XTR is top end and all, but at 5kw through the cranks you are going to wear it out really fast, months maybe. Maybe use slx or xt for lower cost or do a LHS drive...or you can just spend heaps. XTR is gram saving xc gear and will wear quickly. If anything go saint bc weight is of no consequence @5kw (and you'll need plenty of pulling up power). Looks like you'll have a very fast bike on your hands, a hard tail is going to be rough at high speed.. Be careful. You can do it but you have to very conscious of road surfaces/potholes etc. Crazy fun to ride though. :evil:

Back