Stealthy Index Finger Throttle/Regen Variable Pressure old Button

So how would this work? Looks like they are flexible? Not sure what im looking at ij all fairness but getting rid of bulky throttle would be amazing

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Here's the general idea. You'd have to cut a small hole or slot in your grip end flange near the clamping area. The little bump is where the throttle is. It could be more pronounced, but I think this will just about do.

If you'd like to 3D print it and test the ergonomics, I can link the cad.

This might work as a good sensor on a brake lever for proportional regen.

Do you think it would be able to provide significant range of output before the brakes (cable-actuated Avid BB7 in my case) begin to apply noticeable / significant mechanical braking?

Those sensors don't like being folded or even curved unless the radius is very large. They also need to be vented and the vent would need to be protected against water ingress. I have a bunch of similar sensors from another project. You may need a simple circuit to linearize and scale the output. My guess is it will tend to be twitchy at the low end.

It might work pretty well for regen control, as sensitivity is less critical. It might also be good for a totally stealth throttle that's integrated into the grip or other part on the handlebars.

amberwolf said:
This might work as a good sensor on a brake lever for proportional regen.

Do you think it would be able to provide significant range of output before the brakes (cable-actuated Avid BB7 in my case) begin to apply noticeable / significant mechanical braking?

I didn't really envision it being actuated by the lever. That would require a lot of customization depending on the lever and particular setup. Although I suppose it could be moved into a position nearer to the lever, behind the lever, so you could reach your index finger around the lever and to the regen button so your hand was always ready to squeeze the lever for mechanical braking.

fechter said:
Those sensors don't like being folded or even curved unless the radius is very large. They also need to be vented and the vent would need to be protected against water ingress. I have a bunch of similar sensors from another project. You may need a simple circuit to linearize and scale the output. My guess is it will tend to be twitchy at the low end.

It might work pretty well for regen control, as sensitivity is less critical. It might also be good for a totally stealth throttle that's integrated into the grip or other part on the handlebars.

There wouldn't be any folding or curving... would stick flat on a pcb. I'm not sure the linearization would be necessary. Need to test which range. I don't think the force for max will be greater than about 2-5N

Amalgamating shrink might be the best way to seal the sensor. As long as air can't get out, a vacuum can't be created. It would take a lot of vacuum to depress it enough to matter. In the past I've wrapped the pcb + sensor with kapton and never noticed a vacuum causing issues

0-500grams is mostly linear using 3k with 5V supply

cE5L9QmPX6ddQ14UVS_sv0O6waTOg9DJWhb0s_E7Hx5jRZCz4ovM5Z2A5BchJB24RXetbKxrkD9Gulj2zLGbYwgPKcWX0bnhRQU124Tix76moc2sv6KT1PvHhB_EKH5BGoBNvKFJyCo=w2400

If you could install that on the front of the rear brake lever in a position where braking activated it that would be slick.

Back