Gell'ed Boiled Linseed Oil

markz

100 TW
I have a mini container of 5 new nipples where the oil has skinned over in places and gelled in other places.

Is there a way to clean the nipples?
I dont have any paint thinner, or mineral spirits so I dont want to buy it without knowing it will clean the spokes.

Can you post pictures? Some closeups might be nice.

Bathroom cleaner will do if you don’t have any solvent. The fastest is the nail polish cleaner that wifey sure has. Lacker thinner does it very quick too. Gunk, WD 40. I am sure that you have options at home. Even plain hand soap, applied 10 minutes before washing out with water.

I obviously used boiled linseed oil to spoke up my last 9c clone from yescomusa canadian distributor aaccessories. And a few spokes broke, so need to replace the broken ones.

I got plenty of WD40!

tyvm

Picture

boiled linseed oil nipples.jpg

gogo said:

If ya like cheap and dangerous. Gasoline is a wonderful solvent. I like kerosene or paint thinner for soaking and cleaning small parts. Use whatever ya got. If it smells like brain damage? It's good.

Degreaser and hot water might work?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-1-Gal-Industrial-Purple-Degreaser-ZU0856128/100047759

Got any isopropyl? That might do it. Works best in a ziplock stuffed in a hot water bath, not that I've used it on linseed oil.

Edit: I've also had luck using other oils to soften and loosen hardened gummed oil based substances. Once dissolved, a final clean in dish soap usually does the trick. yymv though, because I've no experience with linseed. Just thinking of stuff you might have handy that could prove useful.

edit x2: WD40 apparently works well too, if you have any handy.

Back