Electric Bike Crowdfunding Statistics

ekline309

10 W
I've been seeing some interesting ebike crowdfunding campaigns so decided to put together statistics on all the projects on Kickstarter and Indiegogo. For each of the sites I searched 2 keywords: 'electric bike' and 'electric bicycle'.

Here are some results:

Kickstarter had a total of 110 campaigns w/ 50% successful, the average amount raised was $183,738 w/ an average base bike price of $1436. Indiegogo had 46 campaigns w/ 67% successful, with an average raise of $1,388,710 and a base price of $1,463.

The breakdown for the types of bikes listed is here.

The breakdown for the type of motor used (front hub-motor, rear hub-motor, or mid) is here.

The histograms for the total amounts raised are here and here.

The most interesting stat is based on counting the number press mentions that are posted on the campaign page. For campaigns with no press mentions the success rate was 38% while it was 72% for those with at least 1 press mention. Pretty significant!

The full blog post is here if you're interested (I didn't want to just shamelessly link to my post :shock: )

Hope it helps...

Eric

Successful as in the founder got the funding or successful in that the backer got the bike? What about getting it on a timely basis? I want to be riding that bike next week, not maybe next year.

Most of the CF ebike campaigns involve buying a container full of ready made ebikes. "Invented/developed"? Not that many really new designs. I thought the Swytch had good points.

Back